Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 6, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #4,126 of 9,207
Well just pulled the trigger on a Decware Mini Torii for my LCD-2.  Heh now all I have is the long wait time, but like they say all good things come to those who wait.  This amp I have wanted since it came out so i am pretty excited about it. I will leave a review of what I think about when I have had a chance to hear it for a bit.  But its going to be a few months away till then :)

Have a great day all

tink97

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #4,127 of 9,207
Congrats - it's a great pairing. While you wait, look on eBay for some black-plate Tung-Sol 12BH7A tubes, and some Sylvania 6V6G :D

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #4,128 of 9,207
Hey Skylab,

Thank you for the tube recommendation, heh looks like the next few weeks I will be hunting some new tubes.  
atsmile.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #4,129 of 9,207
Been using my Audio-GD NFB-5 with my lcd's, so far Im liking this a lot, much better match up than audio-gd + HD600.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #4,131 of 9,207
I'm really torn between getting an NFB-10SE or Lyr. I currently have a matrix mini-i with my LCD-2's which has a decent DAC, but the amp section is a bit lacking.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #4,132 of 9,207
someone on the 10SE thread had both NFB-10 SE and Lyr, but no LCD-2. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #4,133 of 9,207

Quote:
someone on the 10SE thread had both NFB-10 SE and Lyr, but no LCD-2. 

Oh yeah? What did they say about the two? I've scouted the 10SE thread, the NFB-10 thread and the LCD/LCD amp recommendation threads without a solid conclusion, but I think the best thing to do for now is give it some time.. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #4,135 of 9,207
Thanks for the heads up - is the 10ES very similar/identical to the 10SE? because on that thread they're discussing the ES, but I personally know little about what the differences between 10, 10ES, 10SE and 10WM are

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #4,136 of 9,207
They are all similar enough.  The -10ES was the most expensive at around $900 (though I don't remember the exact cost) and was the saber32 version of the three.  The -SE is the newer version of the -WM but in a cheaper, lighter case, automated assembly and I think some part changes but with the added digital filters (which I'm sure I'd never play with) and the screen.  It a very nice set up and I thought the original -10 was the best deal in headfi and then one came out that was half the price.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #4,137 of 9,207
I would recommend M3.
Yesterday I tried the rev2 + ALO Salt n Pepper Cable + M3 ,the source was Ayre QB9.
This combination sound really wonderfull. The M3 is not quite expensive,but the ALO cable seems to be a bit pricey,anyway the cable worth every cent .

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #4,138 of 9,207

Quote:
They are all similar enough.  The -10ES was the most expensive at around $900 (though I don't remember the exact cost) and was the saber32 version of the three.  The -SE is the newer version of the -WM but in a cheaper, lighter case, automated assembly and I think some part changes but with the added digital filters (which I'm sure I'd never play with) and the screen.  It a very nice set up and I thought the original -10 was the best deal in headfi and then one came out that was half the price.

Good to hear. Now it's just a matter of how well the dac section stacks with current offerings. I'm guessing it's in the cambridge audio, or even yulong d100 range?

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #4,139 of 9,207
IIRC olor1n has Lyr, the new audiogd-10, and LCD2. Also take careful note of Currawong's comments about the SPDIF. Also, the DAC uses the same chips as Jan Meier's StageDAC, with the same filter-settings offered. Of course, the implementation may be quite different, but FWIW I now prefer Jan's DAC with my speaker system (clean, neutral, great dynamic reach), with the Sabre32-based MiniMax DAC a more lively source for my two preferred headphone amps (Lyr & Concerto ATM).

olor1n appears to like the 10, but (IIRC) did find the Lyr more forgiving on lower-fi material. He/she also had some volume issues, as in the LCD2 gets loud with very little of the volume range used. May be olor1n's particular unit - early manufacturing inconsistencies? - as currawong didn't seem to have this issue. Anyway, you should re-check the threads, as I've only been half-reading them.

TBH, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with the Lyr OR the new audio-gd based on comments to date. Doubtless it's the sound you're trying to pin down. Smoothness and transparency would seem to be the audio-gd highlights. The Lyr's no slouch there either and sits high in Skylab's round-up of tube amps.

Of course, it's tube-rollable. Except, many of the recommended NOS tubes (e.g. Lorenz 3-mica) seem to have been snapped up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back