Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #4,096 of 9,207
Lucky dawg indeed! Congratulations. 12 tubes would be too many for me though - I thought long and hard before ordering the 4-tube Taboo 
biggrin.gif

When you've had time to settle into your iTube, will you do a comparison with your WA22 and Lyr?

Quote:
Yes it does have a total of 12 tubes.
Output Tubes: 8 x EL84
Driver Tubes: 2 x 6414
Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7EH
Although it is very powerfull, it's ONE sweet sounding amp.
The LCD-2s have finally found their mate.

Grado GS 1000i sound stunning in Triode mode.

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4,100 of 9,207
Not meaning to put the cat amongst the pigeons etc but has there been a consensus as to whether rev 1 or rev 2 are better? Once I have bought my Schiit statement amp and DAC I am going to grab a set of LCD2's but want to know which is seen as the best of two great cans?

Hopefully by that time I will have cured that nasty upgradeitis. :)

But doubt it.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,101 of 9,207
Not yet WA. I'm in the build queue, and can run a report any time to see how the queue's moving. Thinking of running a regression analysis (a statistical procedure) to figure out an accurate ETA (!)...gut feel I would say another 6-8 weeks

Quote:
Did you get the taboo yet? 

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #4,102 of 9,207

Quote:
I recently acquired a Manley Stingray iTube and boy it makes the LCD-2 sing & DANCE
biggrin.gif

Skylab has time and again raved about his Leben/LCD-2 combo and only NOW I can fully appreciate his experience. I'm  guessing it's the magic of the EL84 tubes.
I was about to pull the trigger on the Cavalli LF when I chanced upon this beauty. And for $2600, almost unused (less than 50hrs), it was a steal.
The LF will just have to wait.

Aww man, are you the one who bought the one signature sound had for sale on audiogon?

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #4,103 of 9,207
Kremer930 you're brave to ask!

The rev 1 is almost certainly only available 2nd hand.

My impression is that of the perhaps 20 (I didn't count) who tried both versions and reported on it, most felt rev 2 was better, but with several who strongly disagreed.

It might be more accurate to say they have different characters. Both are highly capable, and more similar than they are different when compared to other 'phones.

IIRC the rev 2 has been described as faster, retrieves more detail, slightly less close-up/intimate, more evenly balanced. In contrast, the rev 1 is usually noted for its stunning midrange especially with female and male vocals. Note I have only heard/own the rev 1.

There's lots of much more reliable information than what I give above: look at the LCD-2 thread from late-June thru early August. Also take a look at MacedonianHero's comparison. It's listed first in the 'Recent articles' at the foot of this page.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #4,104 of 9,207

Quote:
Not yet WA. I'm in the build queue, and can run a report any time to see how the queue's moving. Thinking of running a regression analysis (a statistical procedure) to figure out an accurate ETA (!)...gut feel I would say another 6-8 weeks 

Wow 6-8 weeks?   How can anything take so long to build?  Is Decware that busy?

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #4,105 of 9,207
Just got back from vacation and bought the iBasso DB2. My interconnects for the SR71B and the balanced cable for LCD2 should have arrived at my office.

I believe the Esoteric K-01 -> BHSE -> SR009 combo is close to being the ultimate desktop headphone system. I have yet to order BHSE though, need them to resolve the time issue first - so far, just using the SRM727ii, the SR009 still beats the LCD2 hands down by miles.

I also suspect my true balanced portable combo is close to the best portable headphone system, with the chain being:

iPhone4 / iPad2 -> ALO iPhone USB interconnect -> CLAS -> Black Dragon short coaxial cable -> iBasso DB2 -> Black Dragon iBasso to SR71B balanced interconnect -> SR71B -> ALO AWG22 LCD2 Balanced Cable for SR71B -> LCD2

Will test this out tomorrow - stay tuned.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #4,106 of 9,207
Yes they really are that busy. Lots of orders, many countries!

All hand-built, no circuit boards, no fast production line stuff AFAIK.

When they first notified me I was in the queue (14 Sep) I was at the bottom of page 5. There's about 13 orders per page, so I was about 65th in line. I moved up one page by 29 September.

About one amp per calendar day then.

They have many different models. Some (e.g. ZStage) are simple and must surely be quicker than others (e.g. the full-size Torii). I could confirm this with an appropriate test, but probably not worth the trouble. I reckon the Taboo's about average complexity and the amps ahead of mine average out about the same. As I now lie 48th, about 48 days to go before shipping.

Think it'll be worth waiting for 
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #4,107 of 9,207
You have just about the best of everything.  It is great to see someone with the ability and interest to bring together toys of these calibre.  Awesome.

I am very much loving my portable rig at present.  I dont think that it has quite the same sense of space as full sized cans such as my HE6 but the bass is just incredible out of the JH16.

Looking forward to your reviews.  Can I ask what the BHSE is?  Cheers

Quote:
Just got back from vacation and bought the iBasso DB2. My interconnects for the SR71B and the balanced cable for LCD2 should have arrived at my office.

I believe the Esoteric K-01 -> BHSE -> SR009 combo is close to being the ultimate desktop headphone system. I have yet to order BHSE though, need them to resolve the time issue first - so far, just using the SRM727ii, the SR009 still beats the LCD2 hands down by miles.

I also suspect my true balanced portable combo is close to the best portable headphone system, with the chain being:

iPhone4 / iPad2 -> ALO iPhone USB interconnect -> CLAS -> Black Dragon short coaxial cable -> iBasso DB2 -> Black Dragon iBasso to SR71B balanced interconnect -> SR71B -> ALO AWG22 LCD2 Balanced Cable for SR71B -> LCD2

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #4,108 of 9,207
Which amp are you buying, the Taboo?

I wish I could make it to the Decware Zen Fest, maybe next year. I might watch the Fest some on the Net next weekend. Here is the website anyone can watch it from.

http://decware.com/newsite/zenfest2011cam.html

Quote:
Yes they really are that busy. Lots of orders, many countries!

All hand-built, no circuit boards, no fast production line stuff AFAIK.

When they first notified me I was in the queue (14 Sep) I was at the bottom of page 5. There's about 13 orders per page, so I was about 65th in line. I moved up one page by 29 September.

About one amp per calendar day then.

They have many different models. Some (e.g. ZStage) are simple and must surely be quicker than others (e.g. the full-size Torii). I could confirm this with an appropriate test, but probably not worth the trouble. I reckon the Taboo's about average complexity and the amps ahead of mine average out about the same. As I now lie 48th, about 48 days to go before shipping.

Think it'll be worth waiting for 
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #4,109 of 9,207

Quote:
Lucky dawg indeed! Congratulations. 12 tubes would be too many for me though - I thought long and hard before ordering the 4-tube Taboo 
biggrin.gif

When you've had time to settle into your iTube, will you do a comparison with your WA22 and Lyr? 

Thanks. Yes, I will try to do my best & and compare the Stingray with the WA22 and Lyr.

Quote:
Aww man, are you the one who bought the one signature sound had for sale on audiogon?

Afraid not. I got mine locally (Dubai)
Seems like there's another 'Lucky Dawg' out there.

wink_face.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4,110 of 9,207

Looking forward to it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back