Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 27, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #4,082 of 9,207

Quote:
the nfb-10es is quite good with the lcd-2 and I couldn't imagine the -10SE to be much different

Isn´t the ES using the sabre chip whereas the SE use Wolfson? Audio GD is not very good with labelling their products lol. But well I suppose they are both tuned to sound about the same.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #4,083 of 9,207

Quote:
Isn´t the ES using the sabre chip whereas the SE use Wolfson? Audio GD is not very good with labelling their products lol. But well I suppose they are both tuned to sound about the same.

The Audio GD products look very well made but I can never figure out what is going on with them when I go to the website.  

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #4,084 of 9,207
Just sealed the deal on a legendary Cavalli Audio Stacker II which long time ortho and diy expert Sachu just described to me as more musical than the Liquid fire, and said he would take the stacker over a beta 22 anytime.

needless to say that I'm quite excited about this amp.  I have owned a Cavalli CTH in the past and it was brilliant, and a fraction of the cost and quality of the Stacker II. 

Hopefully i'll get a day or two to compare it to my RSA sr71b before i sell the 71B

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #4,085 of 9,207
whoa dude..while the stacker deserves all the accolades i give it, am no expert at anything. More like i solder wires together and hope for the best (as in no blue smoke ) lol

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #4,087 of 9,207
modesty is a sure sign of expertise
wink_face.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #4,088 of 9,207

Quote:

The Sabre 9018 is more revealing, it is explained on the discontinued ES page at least:

"The NFB-10ES version applies the Sabre32 ES9018 chip, it has quite high fidelity, its sound signature is absolutely revealing, neutral and faithful and very detailed. It can show how good or how bad a recording is. If you are afraid of flaws being revealed in the music files, other gears like those applying WM8741 will be better. Our gears that apply WM8741 are designed to sound neutral and revealing but with a little smoothness. "

The 8741 is the chip used in the Wolfson version.

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #4,089 of 9,207

Quote:
Just sealed the deal on a legendary Cavalli Audio Stacker II which long time ortho and diy expert Sachu just described to me as more musical than the Liquid fire, and said he would take the stacker over a beta 22 anytime.

needless to say that I'm quite excited about this amp.  I have owned a Cavalli CTH in the past and it was brilliant, and a fraction of the cost and quality of the Stacker II. 

Hopefully i'll get a day or two to compare it to my RSA sr71b before i sell the 71B

I'd say congratulations, but that would seem almost a conflict of interest since you're buying it from me. 
wink_face.gif

Having a LF to compare this particular unit to, I'd have to say I agree that the Stacker is more musical.  The tipping point for me is that the LF still has musicality, but then adds the transparency and clarity.  I'm still going to miss the Stacker, but I really just don't see me using it much.  I also personally preferred the Stacker over the B22 I listened to, but I'm sure some people may think differently.  Funny thing, this subjective hobby we're in.  Heh.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #4,090 of 9,207
I recently acquired a Manley Stingray iTube and boy it makes the LCD-2 sing & DANCE
biggrin.gif

Skylab has time and again raved about his Leben/LCD-2 combo and only NOW I can fully appreciate his experience. I'm  guessing it's the magic of the EL84 tubes.
I was about to pull the trigger on the Cavalli LF when I chanced upon this beauty. And for $2600, almost unused (less than 50hrs), it was a steal.
The LF will just have to wait.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #4,093 of 9,207
Lucky, lucky dawg!

Doesn't the Manley Stingray iTube use something like 12 tubes? It does look like some powerhouse that's for sure!

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #4,094 of 9,207
Yes it does have a total of 12 tubes.
Output Tubes: 8 x EL84
Driver Tubes: 2 x 6414
Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7EH

Although it is very powerfull, it's ONE sweet sounding amp.

The LCD-2s have finally found their mate.
Grado GS 1000i sound stunning in Triode mode.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #4,095 of 9,207

Quote:
Yes it does have a total of 12 tubes.
Output Tubes: 8 x EL84
Driver Tubes: 2 x 6414
Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7EH
Although it is very powerfull, it's ONE sweet sounding amp.
The LCD-2s have finally found their mate.
Grado GS 1000i sound stunning in Triode mode.

Having the option to switch between Triode and UltraLinear is certainly another bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back