Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #4,051 of 9,207
How could you possibly formulate meaningful conclusions with so many components on hand at once? (2)

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #4,052 of 9,207
I guess it depends how well he really knows the music he is listening to.  Besides the fact, that we have no idea how long he's been listening to all that gear for, whether or not he has a job or any other commitments in his life (maybe hes got a lot of free time).

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #4,055 of 9,207
On Saturday morning I received my new RWA AE, I have to say that the level of customer service they are providing is simply outstanding! If you haven't followed I received mine last week but only the right channel was working, Vinnie from RWA sent me a replacement cable hoping it would fix the problem but it didn't, he then send me a new amp which is now working perfectly all of this happened in 7 days and I'm in Europe (!), he also offered to cover all my expenses including custom fees and shipping, I have to say this is one of the most professional customer service I've encountered and I buy a LOT of things online.

I will try to write a mini review but keep in mind that writing good audio reviews is a talent not many have and English is not my first language so please forgive me for the mistakes, also since it's different from Skylab please keep in mind it's only my opinion.

I spent most of my week-end listening to this new toy, I mostly played some music but also watched a few movies. My music setup is simple, it's a PC playing FLAC in foobar or some ALAC through ITunes, I used the USB input on the RWA AE since it appears to be the recommended choice, for movies I played some blurays from my OPPO that goes to my SVS realizer A8 (Sound processor) and then used the optical out to feed the RWA AE DAC.

I listen to a lot of different music but mogwai is as you can tell one of my all time favorite, I was pleased to read that Skylab also used some of their music in his review, I played rock action which is my favorite mogwai album and one I know extremely well. I have to say I was somehow disappointed by the presentation offered by the RWA AE, the complex electronic texture and controlled distortion on "Sine wave" seemed distant, compressed, I wasn't getting this feeling of extension I had with other amp. When playing "take me somewhere nice", a beautiful piece of minimalist post rock, the RWA AE was sounding too analytical and not "organic" enough for my taste, maybe it was the combination of the LCD-2 being a tad dark but the song usually gives me the feeling of being wrapped in a warm blanket of sounds, it wasn't the case, again I thought the sound to be distant, the vocals were detached from the main presentation making it somehow uninvolving.

I decided it was time for something completely different and started playing refused "the shape of punk to come", it's not only a brilliant post-hardcore album it also incorporate ambient elements and some avant-garde jazz breakdown, I could listen to this album again and again and still find new things to like about it, just like wine it gets better with time. I was much more pleased with what the RWA AE was offering to my ears, it managed very well the control chaos, it sounded very dynamic without being fatiguing, at some point while listening to "new noise" I felt it could have a bit more punch but the bass was tight and a great level of details retrieval.

Finally I moved on to Radiohead "Kid A", when it comes to their music a lot of people consider "OK computer" to be their masterpiece, I'm not one of them. I can understand that the beautiful apparent simplicity of "OK computer" can be appealing to many but in my opinion it's no match for the complexity and pure genius behind "Kid A", the sound, the mood and the arrangements makes it a very interesting album to compare amp on. it sounds cold, the drums and beats are very sharp and dry (for the lack of a better word), it reminds me a lot of the sound from producer Steve albini. Again I wasn't impress by the presentation of the RWA AE, this album is one my reference CDs and I never go to a shop or 'meeting' without it so I know it backwards and I thought the Red Wine Audio wasn't doing too good, the overall presentation was good, one could say even great but in my book it's implied an amp this expensive will sound good, I thought it was lacking some punch and the drums/beats were not as accurate as some other top of the line amps I've heard.

I then spent time using it with some movies but I won't be commenting on that here since I guess the interest is limited.

So is it the best my LCD-2 have ever sounded, the short answer is no. Reading again what I wrote above might come as a bit harsh but you need to keep in mind this is an almost $5'000 system, it does sound great but when you have this cash you also have a lot of option to consider and from the top my mind I can come with a few system that I've heard or that I've owned that performed better with my LCD-2 or nearly as good for a lot less money.

In conclusion the RWA AE is not for everyone, the built quality is great, customer service outstanding, it offers a very enjoyable sound, it’s neutral and detailed but lacks some punch and that little something that makes it truly shine.

If you're interested mine will be shortly on the for sales forum, feel free to PM me for details or pricing, I'm now moving on to something else, maybe a liquid fire or maybe the RSA dark star, who knows :)

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #4,056 of 9,207
Hi m0gwai thanks for the detailed impression and obvious care you took over this. My only question: you don't agree with the idea of a period of burn in changing the sound significantly? I would be interested to know if any of the albums you mention sound different to you in another week or two - assuming you keep the amp this long...

+1 about Kid A btw, although sometimes I think Hail to the Thief is my favorite!

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #4,057 of 9,207
Thanks for your honest impressions of the RWA AE m0gwai. Could it be that the AE hasn't been burnt in enough?

What's a better DAC/Amp combo you would recommend for the Audeze LCD-2s which you think is the best pairing you've heard so far? I'm in the market for a DAC/Amp to go with my LCD-2s and have been tempted with the RWA AE but at that price point, as you say, there are many many other options.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #4,058 of 9,207
That's absurd. How could you possibly formulate meaningful conclusions with so many components on hand at once?

Isn't this a little strong and negative for someone who is putting in considerable effort to add to the knowledge pool? If you have doubts about the ability to refine the conclusion based on such a large sample why don't you put it forward as a suggestion rather than being abrasive.

I agree that it does seem like an unusual starting point but I will still be looking forward to the findings.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #4,059 of 9,207
I never been a big believer of the burn-in effect or at least not to the extend some people want to attribute to it but I had to admit in some case I could hear a (significant) difference on some of the equipment I owned, however I never had something I did not enjoyed from the start that turned into something great after the burn-in, usually the burn-in will refine the sound signature at least according to my ears.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #4,060 of 9,207
Hi M0gwai,

I completely respect your opinion. We all hear differently. But just for the record, did you listen 100% with the stock JJ tube? If so, I can understand to some degree where you might be coming from. But please do let us know on that.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #4,062 of 9,207
While we're on the topic of RWA, I placed an order for a fully upgraded Isabellina today. Looking to get some recommendations on tube upgrades as Skylab mentioned in his AE review that it responded well to rolling. This will be my first tube experience so some guidance would be great.

Skylab mentioned the Mullard 2492 sounded good. Is this the one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E88CC-CV2492-MULLARD-MILITARY-NOS-BOXED-/260577827114?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item3caba6192a#ht_500wt_1156

Any others I should be looking at? a brief description of their sound signature would help a lot.

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #4,064 of 9,207
Hi m0gwai,

Thank you for your honest post:

There are a lot of components in the amp/dac that DO need burn-in time.  Even the ALO Audeze Cable needs it.  You will be rewarded
if you are patient and let the system play 24/7 (in AC mode) for a few days a fairly loud levels, connected to the LCD-2s.  The result is
more bass extension and more refined top-end.  I will not agrue if you don't believe this to be true, but I hope you can still give it a try.

Regarding tube rolling - Unfortunately, we cannot get enough quantity of the really good NOS tubes that make the AE system sound so much better
(as Skylab and others have experimented with).  

Here are the ones that I highly recommend (not in any particular order at this time):

-- The Mullard 2492 that Skylab used.  

-- MiniWatt Dario E188CC [7308]  (Made in France in the 60's in the factory "La Radiotechnique" near Paris)

-- Amperex Pinch Waist 6922 (made in Holland)

All of these have a richer mid-range, much better tonality and the top-end is more detailed and "sweeter."  Bass is great with all of them,
but burn-in seems to help the most with it.

But poor records WILL be revealed with this system, so if the original recording has issues, you will hear them.  NOS d/a mode is more forgiving.

I'm not sure about all your setting on your PC, but try comparing the sound of the PC/USB to using your Oppo's optical output when playing the CDs
of the same music.  You might be surprised!

Sincerely,

Vinnie

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #4,065 of 9,207
Quote:

-- Amperex Pinch Waist 6922 (made in Holland)

I guess finding a single of this tube is possible.
What are they going for these days?  $500 per tube? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back