Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 16, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #4,186 of 9,207
Can't tell from your forum activity but have you looked through the tube-rolling thread for the Lyr? Especially the last 20-30 pages?

Whilst Lyr isn't always my favorite with the LCD2 (more accurately, I keep going back and forth between Lyr and Concerto, perverse though some find this!), it's a very capable amp that definitely responds to rolling. You might easily rid it of congestion.

OTOH, judging from reports, you'd definitely enjoy the MiniTorii or WA6SE
Quote:
I own the Zodiac+ with the Voltikus power supply and also highly recommend it. 

My friend listened to the LCD2's today with the Woo WA6 and loved it. Anyone else have experience with this combo. I currently own both theBurson and the Lyr but am looking at either a WA6SE or the Decware MiniTorri. So far I prer the Burson to the Lyr. I find the Lyr more powerful sounding but somewhat congested. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #4,187 of 9,207

Quote:
I own the Zodiac+ with the Voltikus power supply and also highly recommend it. 

My friend listened to the LCD2's today with the Woo WA6 and loved it. Anyone else have experience with this combo. I currently own both theBurson and the Lyr but am looking at either a WA6SE or the Decware MiniTorri. So far I prer the Burson to the Lyr. I find the Lyr more powerful sounding but somewhat congested. 

What tubes are you using with the Lyr? It responds very much to tube changes. With the right tubes, I preferred the Lyr over both the Burson and Concerto.
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4,189 of 9,207

Quote:
What are your favorite tubes for the Lyr and LCD combo?

Several...I like the GE 6BZ7s with my HE-6s and they're pretty good too with the LCD-2s. I'm a big fan of the Genelax Gold Lions and Mullard CV2492s as well.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #4,192 of 9,207
I have a bottle head SEX modded to run off the speaker taps. Sounds amazing. When I want warm lush tubey sound it's my to to amp.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #4,195 of 9,207
Just back from RMAF/CanJam.  I spent more time in the RMAF side since I'm far more interested in speakers, but did have a chance to sit down at the Audeze table and listen to the three amps they had to demonstrate their LCD-3's with.  My brief impressions were that the Liquid Fire narrowly edged out Eddie Current's 2A3 amp, and both easily bested the Red Wine which just did not grab me, sounding just a bit grainy in the mids, while the other two were smooth as silk.  I still thought the combination of LCD2's with the Balancing Act was just astoundingly good an would have loved to compare that more directly, but they were at Craig's booth.  To be fair to my impressions; all three amps at the Audeze table were using different front ends, though I was able to listen to the same music on each of them.  But the differences could easily be attributed to the front end and or synergy.  So take them with a grain of salt.  LCD-3's were certainly wonderful and an improvement in a veil-lifting kind of way, which, after living with LCD-2's for over a year now I would never have thought possible.  Are they worth the $1k additional premium?  I guess that's up to you.  

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #4,197 of 9,207
If it was up to you, are you going for the LCD-3?

Quote:
LCD-3's were certainly wonderful and an improvement in a veil-lifting kind of way, which, after living with LCD-2's for over a year now I would never have thought possible.  Are they worth the $1k additional premium?  I guess that's up to you.  

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #4,198 of 9,207
I'm just so glad the LCD-3 are so expensive. It mercifully removes them right out of the line of temptation for me, and I can settle back and thoroughly enjoy my LCD-2 Rev1 again. Ah, bliss...ignorant bliss...  

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #4,199 of 9,207
If it was up to you, are you going for the LCD-3?

Fair question. The short answer is no. I'm a speaker guy and headphones are a stopgap for the times I cannot use my speaker rig. If headphones were my only means of listening I might consider it much more seriously, and very likely would go for the 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back