Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 14, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #4,156 of 9,207
     Quote:
GG, I am quite happy with my portable rig with LCD2 now and use it for casual listening in the office - this goes a long way if you see what I was using with the LCD2 at home (see my signature block). I don't think the CLAS and SR71B are a close match to my home rig, but they are still very satisfying.

I doubt if anyone tried it, but I actually find that the sound of LCD2 directly driven by iPhone 4 to be acceptable, although certainly inferior to any of my rigs - again it shows how good the LCD2 is adaptive to sources and amps - and the better your gear is, you can expect more from the LCD2.

The LCD-2 from my iPhone has always sounded more than acceptable to me, but I would never use the LCD-2 as an on-the-go headphone.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #4,157 of 9,207
The LCD-2 are some of the least portable headphones out there excluding electrostats.  They're heavy, measure 40 mega-sheldons on the dorkoscope, and they're completely open.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #4,158 of 9,207
I don't use the LCD2 for portable but I bring it to vacation and trips with me. In such a case, bringing a "portable" DAC->Amp combo is ok IMO. For portable use I just use iPhone 4 -> UE18 Pro / Westone ES5.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #4,159 of 9,207
The thing is, it was acceptable at $1000 to pair it with the best portable solution. However, the LCD-3 being $2000, and more higher-end, wouldn't it be just silly to just use it with a portable rig? I don't have the resources or the ability to get a desktop amp. I travel and move around too much, and I'm probably at home 4-6 hours a day for sleep only. It's going to be LCD2+ES5 vs. LCD3. Looking forward to impressions tomorrow! I'll be sitting at the edge of my seat while hitting the refresh button 1million times/second...

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #4,160 of 9,207
Sorry GG, I thought that was a typo and I wasn't aware that there is indeed an LCD-3 coming out until your latest post.

I don't know whether it is silly to pair the LCD-3 and use it with a portable rig, but I will definitely buy the LCD-3 and try it on mine, since my portable rig is readily available. But of course, I will use it at home first and use it with my higher end gear.

Thanks for the exciting news - I used to just follow my own subscribed threads and rarely look at the main forum. I really wasn't aware about the LCD-3 until now!

Since you already have the ES5, the best way is to wait a bit and wait for LCD-3 reviews to come out before making a judgment. But then if LCD-3 is considered better, by all means go for it. If you chose the LCD-2, you will be itched to death wanting to buy the LCD-3 the moment your LCD-2 arrives. The LCD-2 is IMO the best current-production non-electrostat headphone, but who knows what Audeze can achieve with the LCD-3. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #4,161 of 9,207
...They're heavy, measure 40 mega-sheldons on the dorkoscope, ...

:D

Discussing the merits of a phone about which the only thing known is a single picture and a price tag. You gotta love Head-fi. :wink:

Well I'll add to the ludicrousosity of the discussion by pointing out that the cans physically look very samey to the LCD-2. So if you don't think the LCD-2 is silly as a portable why not the next version too.

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #4,162 of 9,207
The thing is, it was acceptable at $1000 to pair it with the best portable solution. However, the LCD-3 being $2000, and more higher-end, wouldn't it be just silly to just use it with a portable rig? I don't have the resources or the ability to get a desktop amp. I travel and move around too much, and I'm probably at home 4-6 hours a day for sleep only. It's going to be LCD2+ES5 vs. LCD3. Looking forward to impressions tomorrow! I'll be sitting at the edge of my seat while hitting the refresh button 1million times/second...

Well I don't see any problem so long as you enjoy the music.:)

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #4,163 of 9,207
Well, the efficiency of the LCD3 is still 91db which means I'll still be able to drive it adequately with the SR71B. So, maybe it won't be THAT silly after all, though I would imagine this situation to be similar to driving a Lamborghini with regular gas and cheap tires, or having an authentic Louis Vuitton while wearing a tshirt and sweats... Silly :p

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4,164 of 9,207
If the LCD3 turns out to be much better than the LCD2, I will consider resetting my office rig. Probably get a decent DAC like the Zodiac Gold with Voltikus and a good desktop amp, maybe the Dark Star. My Esoteric K-01 and Leben CS300XS combo is a bit too much for office use.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #4,165 of 9,207

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Discussing the merits of a phone about which the only thing known is a single picture and a price tag. You gotta love Head-fi.
wink.gif

Well I was talking about the LCD-2, which I own and listen to several hours a day.

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4,166 of 9,207
Well I was talking about the LCD-2, which I own and listen to several hours a day.

Yes, my comment wasn't directed at you at all.

It was directed towards the conversation about LCD-3s being a good portable solution - in the Amps for LCD-2 thread.

I was just enjoying your dorkoscope readings. Still liking it! :D

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #4,167 of 9,207
^ Dagothur I couldn't understand Pudu's response to you at first. Now I think he was responding to googleli in the post right above and quoted you to add weight to his response. It was ambiguous quoting...!

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #4,169 of 9,207
No problem - you clarified 
beerchug.gif

Yep, 40 mega-sheldons LOL

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #4,170 of 9,207
Hey guys!

I need some advices for my incoming purchases!
I'm about to buy the LCD-2 headphones and I want to buy a [DAC/AMP/PRE-AMP] combo all-in-a-box device to keep my setup minimalist and simple  :)
I want to be able to drive with beauty the LCD-2, while also beeing able to use it as a very good DAC/PRE-AMP for my future power amplifier + passive speakers !!!

I've found 3 products that could do that so far :
- Benchmark DAC1 PRE
- Burson HA-160D
- Grace m903

Can someone tell me what's my best option for my needs, knowing I dont want to spend more than 2k for that product and that I want to keep it simple?

thanks a lot guys!!! :)

cant wait the experiment!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back