Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #8,853 of 9,207
Budget £300=$400 this is utter max for me :frowning2:

Would like dac/amp with XLR front out, neutral to slightly warm sound...but for that budget, not going to happen.

But in asking, any neutral/slightly warm amps with XLR front out, all I can see is Aune X7s, any others

thanks

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #8,854 of 9,207
A desktop version of the Pocket Class A can be made with XLR out. Many users have reported excellent match between this amp and LCD-2. It is Single Ended Class A with slightly warm sound.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #8,855 of 9,207
Budget £300=$400 this is utter max for me :frowning2:

Would like dac/amp with XLR front out, neutral to slightly warm sound...but for that budget, not going to happen.

But in asking, any neutral/slightly warm amps with XLR front out, all I can see is Aune X7s, any others

thanks

If you're alright with secondhand goods, try getting the Schiit Mjolnir which I find has excellent pairing with the LCD-2. I waited patiently for mine and searched the forums everyday, eventually got one at SGD420, about £235. All the best!

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #8,856 of 9,207
If you're alright with secondhand goods, try getting the Schiit Mjolnir which I find has excellent pairing with the LCD-2. I waited patiently for mine and searched the forums everyday, eventually got one at SGD420, about £235. All the best!

Thats a good price, all that I find is the V2.

Seen Schiit Audio Asgard 2 for £200, just need to read up on it, though I think its neutral sounding.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #8,857 of 9,207
Consider the Schiit Jotunheim for $400. The Mjolnir does not have a built-in DAC and the Asgard does not have an XLR out. You can't go wrong with Schiit for Audeze cans, there's sufficient output power and the house sound is balanced and neutral.

$400 for built-in DAC and XLR balanced output does severely limit your options though.

Think about getting a separate DAC too, that way you can upgrade either the DAC or the amp when the time comes. Because you know you'll be looking at upgrades sooner or later.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #8,858 of 9,207
lol I am bad enough with upgrading PC, this started of as a wanting to get back into music.

So start of the year bought Westone W40 IEMs and Cayin I5...now LCD-2f and wanting a good enough dac/amp to last a year or two..need to calm down.

Schiit Jotunheim is one I like, has all I need, just spent up, next thing is Aune X7, but no dac, or forget XLR and Aune X1s.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #8,860 of 9,207
I second this, the LCD-2 sound spectacular when paired with the Mjolnir. They're my favorite Planars to go with tubes.

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #8,861 of 9,207
Very happy with the pairing of my LCD-2's with the audio_gd NFB-28, the balanced output specifically has great bass impact and extension. Mostly use it with my LCD-3's since I've upgraded but it still is a good compliment for the 2's.

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #8,862 of 9,207
I'm keeping it. I don't intend to keep it running or plugged in all the time at my desk, as I will keep the Deckard there. It does sound better with better instrument separation than the Cambridge or my LG V20... so, there is always that. I don't think I'll return it, as I think the Hugo 2 is too much for me. I want to work on my 2 channel setup and stop with the headphones pretty much.

What about an iFi iDSD Micro BL or something?
Just joined this thread having recently got my own LCD-2F (2016 Alu). I started off with an ifi Micro iDSD (silver not BL - not enough of a difference to justify an upgrade IMO) as my main desktop dac/amp as it has an amazing dac section and plenty of power in its clean AB-class amp. More recently I bought a Matrix HPA-3B balanced amp when I tested my iDSD with my brother’s Matrix and found the synergy to be incredible. Both are warm of neutral, and the Matrix gives the brilliant iDSD dac so much more headroom (and the option of powerful balanced output, which I take full advantage of).

FWIW the Deckard is OEMed by Matrix - in fact the Matrix HPA-3U is basically the Deckard with a few different components and a different dac section for half the price. The combination of the iDSD and HPA-3B essentially gives me a more powerful, more dynamic ‘Deckard’, with the option of going mobile with the ifi should I ever need to.

It’s a winning combination for the LCD-2F, and I’m hoping it will prove likewise for my incoming ZMF Atticus (giving me my endgame TOTL open/closed/desktop/portable headphone setup).

HTH.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #8,864 of 9,207
So I'm thinking of a nice used amp for my new lcd2 (my 6080otl amp is not going to pair well)

For the same price, I can get a chord mojo, deckard, or burson soloist SL+ some dac, probably a schiit. I picked up the lcd2s for the bass and mids. Which routes should I try? Thanks!

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #8,865 of 9,207
So I'm thinking of a nice used amp for my new lcd2 (my 6080otl amp is not going to pair well)

For the same price, I can get a chord mojo, deckard, or burson soloist SL+ some dac, probably a schiit. I picked up the lcd2s for the bass and mids. Which routes should I try? Thanks!
If you're going single-ended, the Deckard has no peer when it comes to powering the LCDs with beautiful music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back