Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 16, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #8,341 of 9,207
  Hm! I've been following this thread since I heard the pre-fazor LCD-2 a few months ago and loved it, so I started saving for a pair. It sounded just perfect out of O2/ODAC between 11 and 12 o'clock volume level. I also liked HD 650 with a WA2 amp. So, I thought I'd figured it all out - my agenda was to buy LCD-2 then HD 650, then an Ember hybrid amp, followed by another solid state amp alternative like O2/ODAC, NFB-11, NFB-15, Gustard H10, or thanks to this thread suggestion - Meier Audio Corda JAZZ. Now, I don't know if I'll like the fazor version because of the more prominent treble. I'm quite sensitive to the low 7 Khz range and don't like forward upper mids and highs in general. Probably, I should try to find a used pre-fazor LCD-2.

I've continued this conversation here,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773138/lcd-2-r2-fazor-upgrade-worth-it#post_11921421

as it's the closest topic (that I can find)

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #8,342 of 9,207
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

I've continued this conversation here,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773138/lcd-2-r2-fazor-upgrade-worth-it#post_11921421

as it's the closest topic (that I can find)

thanks for the link! appreciated! 

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #8,343 of 9,207
Just bought a pair of used LCD-2 for a ridiculous price. It's incredible the sound that comes out of these cans. Asgard 2 drives them nicely.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #8,345 of 9,207
Got these and a Schiit Lyr 2 on order. Cant wait :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #8,347 of 9,207
  I've got that combo already (w/LCD-2F). Also have the Bifrost Uber/USB dac. 

You'll love it! I know I am.

Couldn't quite stretch the budget to a Bifrost but hopefully the Modi 2 will do the job.
Can't wait for the parcels to arrive :)

How are you getting on with the tubes? 
I've got the LISTT (solid state) and 6BZ7's  but aware there's a whole world of options beyond those.
Have you found a particularly good match with the LCD-2Fs?

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #8,348 of 9,207
  Couldn't quite stretch the budget to a Bifrost but hopefully the Modi 2 will do the job.
Can't wait for the parcels to arrive :)

How are you getting on with the tubes? 
I've got the LISTT (solid state) and 6BZ7's  but aware there's a whole world of options beyond those.
Have you found a particularly good match with the LCD-2Fs?

I currently have two sets of tubes -  Telsa E88CC's and the stock 6BQ7A's that come with amp - they're not too bad, but won't blow you away. I find the E88CC's to be more suited to my liking - a warmer sound. With the 6BQ7A's, I tend to find they loose the warmth of the E88CC's but the imaging is slightly more open. 

I'm currently waiting on some Russian Voskhod 6N23P silver shield's. They're supposed to really open up the sound and the frequency extension in both ways (low to high) and offer better imaging. I'll report back when I get the 6N23P's and have had a good listen to them, 

I've been wanting to get the LIIST cans but my local supplier is currently waiting for stock. Let us know how they sound with the LCD-2Fs. Should be a good match as the LCD-2's are a warmer sounding headphone, so having a set of LIIST cans in your Lyr can even out and bring the sound to a more neutral signature.  

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #8,349 of 9,207
I'll be sure to post back on the LIISTs.

Very new to this but there's a lot of posts here on tubes, have to get stuck in and do my research..
Also need to find reliable suppliers in the UK.

Some cheap russians on Etsy.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #8,351 of 9,207
I've heard nothing but good things about the pairing... hmm.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #8,353 of 9,207
is there a destop dac/amp with bass boost and treble boost all in one for a great price that will not cause a big hole in wallet
and at the same time drive the lcd2 much better than my portable alo mk3 amp

i like warm sound and big bass

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #8,354 of 9,207
is there a destop dac/amp with bass boost and treble boost all in one for a great price that will not cause a big hole in wallet

I'd personally go the speaker amp route with bass treble controls for what you are asking, then find a DAC that goes well with the amp and LCD-2.

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #8,355 of 9,207

Do EQ. There good EQ software out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back