Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 12, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #8,311 of 9,207
A separate power generator for the floor rig is a good investment, with everything plugged into a power distributor/surge protector.

Best time to listen to music is between 1030pm-2am here. Dead quiet, electrically. 
cool.gif

(jk 'bout the generator)

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #8,312 of 9,207

So....no benefit with BHA-1 balanced out?? ................

Hey Maestro

Now here’s a blurb completely supporting the superior benefits of a completely balanced headphone set-up.
http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

Now it may be because of the fact that the Bryston BHA-1 is a fine piece of electrical engineering to start with, incorporating a balanced dual mono circuitry with well thought out power supplies, which greatly benefits not only the balanced out but the single ended output so that the difference is negligible if non existent between the two, which could account to my inability to hear any differences once levels were matched. Other amps offering balanced and single ended may produce varying results with more obvious differences supporting a fully balanced configuration.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #8,313 of 9,207
looks familiar, that page... 

The fact that Bryston engineered the hell out of the BHA-1 would indeed explain why some (not me) do not hear even the tiniest difference between SE and balanced. I had no doubt about the BHA-1's technical strengths, or about my hearing capabilities on HPs like LCD-2.2 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the research and technical prowess -- time to just kick back, enjoy the music....

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #8,314 of 9,207
  looks familiar, that page... 

The fact that Bryston engineered the hell out of the BHA-1 would indeed explain why some (not me) ............

That may be because you get get that "Dead quiet"
wink.gif
...and that can make all the difference in the world.

Best time to listen to music is between 1030pm-2am here. Dead quiet, electrically. 
cool.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #8,315 of 9,207

The IFI Retro Stereo 50, with LCD-2 and LS3.5 speakers (to the right) and a IKEA cutting board to balance the turntable (to the left). Besides the fact that everything is in bamboo, LCD-2 sings like never before with this EL84 amp. Seriously, I was ready to sell my LCD-2 because I could not get the amping right, but now I am VERY glad I didn't.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #8,316 of 9,207
Alright guys. I know its been beaten to death.

Which amp out of all of these

Nfb-10
Nfb-15
Bustard
Lyr

Of course the latter 2 is going to need an amp, but which one has the best synergy out of the bunch. There a couple on the classies right now, and would like to get one before i get the my lcd

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #8,317 of 9,207
Do you mean the NFB-11? Or the 10.33?

The Gustard is great for SS, and the Lyr is great for a hybrid. The NFB-11 and NFB-15 have fantastic musicality and power for the price. What's your total budget? You don't have a DAC?

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #8,318 of 9,207
Do you mean the NFB-11? Or the 10.33?

The Gustard is great for SS, and the Lyr is great for a hybrid. The NFB-11 and NFB-15 have fantastic musicality and power for the price. What's your total budget? You don't have a DAC?

My total budget is 500.

Theres a nfb10es usb ver.
And a 10.33. If its worth the extra $
Woyldnt mind getting a new nfb11, if it comes down to it

No dac yet.

Which one will give me better bass. Since the 2.2f are "bass light"

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #8,320 of 9,207
Another question. Will i get a true tuby sound even though the lyr is a hybrid

Define "true tuby sound"?

If you want full tube sound, don't do hybrid. Get a tubed amp that is not OTL to adequately drive planars like LCD-2.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #8,321 of 9,207

The IFI Retro Stereo 50, with LCD-2 and LS3.5 speakers (to the right) and a IKEA cutting board to balance the turntable (to the left). Besides the fact that everything is in bamboo, LCD-2 sings like never before with this EL84 amp. Seriously, I was ready to sell my LCD-2 because I could not get the amping right, but now I am VERY glad I didn't.

What's "not right" with your amping before with the LCD-2? How did the iFi retro 50 improve the sound?

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #8,322 of 9,207
alright boys and gals.  Just picked up a Lyr2, now to wait patiently for the other two pieces.....

what do you guys think of the Asus xonar for my dac.  Headphone use for me is strictly at my desktop, thats why i was thinking of the soundcard.

Or would a Modi2 or any of the mid-tier dacs be better?

I would spend more on the dac but after some reading, it seems like I wont notice a difference in sound till I get to the really high end stuff.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #8,323 of 9,207
An external DAC is a better choice for noise and guaranteed 2Vrms output. Stoner Acoustics UD120, Hifimediy, and some others make DACs in that price range. My DGX wasn't worth the money.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #8,325 of 9,207
5% IHMO. It's a very slight difference - I notice more of a difference in the top octave of treble (about 10%).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back