Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 12, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #7,786 of 9,207
Did you compare the portable vs desktop amp (with both having enough power) using the same DAC?

I have previously thought so like you too, until I noticed that I was actually comparing the portable setup vs desktop setup using different portable DAC vs desktop DAC as well.

Yes, volume matched @85db, listening to a variety of genres from classic rock to classical:

X5 DAP (high gain) HO to LCD-2

X5 DAP line-out to e12(high gain) to LCD-2

X5 DAP line-out to HA-1 SE to LCD-2

X5 DAP coaxial out to HA-1 SE to LCD-2

X5 DAP coaxial out to HA-1 Balanced to LCD-2

Out of the first three relevant comparisons the line-out to the HA-1 was better to me than the HO or the line-out to the e12 and they all used the X5 PCM1792 DAC.

The coaxial to the HA-1, using the ESS9018 32 DAC, is an improvement for me, but not in the same areas. The impact and dynamics were the same, but the signature was slightly different and the micro detail was improved.

Edit: My list goes from top to bottom, worst to best.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #7,787 of 9,207
Any of you guys expert in amp design/schematics...?

Would there be any obvious technical mis-matching with slightly harder to drive LCD 2.1's with this DIY current domain 40 watts/8 ohm amp ?

40 Watt Transconductance "Current Amplifier"
Had looked at the dual-mono current domain LH Geek Out but want to choose a more organic DAC vs analytic for a full-size system...so seperate DAC/amp the way to go....think it would have circa 2.5 watts of headroom per ear @ 60 Ohms....within the recommended range for older Audeze cans.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #7,788 of 9,207
Yes, volume matched @85db, listening to a variety of genres from classic rock to classical:

X5 DAP (high gain) HO to LCD-2

X5 DAP line-out to e12(high gain) to LCD-2

X5 DAP line-out to HA-1 SE to LCD-2

X5 DAP coaxial out to HA-1 SE to LCD-2

X5 DAP coaxial out to HA-1 Balanced to LCD-2

Out of the first three relevant comparisons the line-out to the HA-1 was better to me than the HO or the line-out to the e12 and they all used the X5 PCM1792 DAC.

The coaxial to the HA-1, using the ESS9018 32 DAC, is an improvement for me, but not in the same areas. The impact and dynamics were the same, but the signature was slightly different and the micro detail was improved.

Edit: My list goes from top to bottom, worst to best.

Well, all I I'm saying is that being a desktop amp doesn't always or automatically mean it would be better than a portable amp.

I was really trying to find a portable amp and DAC where I can bring around the house and room. I've found that there are a few portable amps that is even better than a desktop amp (using the same DAC). If you consider the O2 a portable, I'll add it to my list.

I think the primary reason desktop amps has been generally better than portables is because of the desktop DACs that goes along with it. Once the audio industry has found a way to make more portable DACs, there would be no more need for desktop amps. And as I said, there are already a few.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #7,789 of 9,207
Well, all I I'm saying is that being a desktop amp doesn't always or automatically mean it would be better than a portable amp.

I was really trying to find a portable amp and DAC where I can bring around the house and room. I've found that there are a few portable amps that is even better than a desktop amp (using the same DAC). If you consider the O2 a portable, I'll add it to my list.

I think the primary reason desktop amps has been generally better than portables is because of the desktop DACs that goes along with it. Once the audio industry has found a way to make more portable DACs, there would be no more need for desktop amps. And as I said, there are already a few.

Some good points for sure and I agree that just adding more power isn't the only answer. I would add that although I adore the Pan Am(portable?) with the LCD-2 I just hate it's DAC, so I say it goes both ways. The whole audio chain and all that.

The fact remains that if a headphone is designed to run with more power it won't be used to its full potential if underpowered.

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #7,790 of 9,207

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house/1080#post_11215071
+ U2 Sabre DAC + OTG compatible phone.... bang for the buck.

You can also use a Light Harmonic GO1000 DAC/AMP with a phone that supports OTG + free HIBY player etc...need a splitter USB cable for add-on external battery power if ES9018M DAC chip is to your flavor.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711267/light-harmonic-geek-out-em-1000-impressions-thread/375#post_10489140

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #7,791 of 9,207

The O2 is a fantastic little unit.  I've found it compares well against much more expensive units.  

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #7,792 of 9,207
+1

Dagothur, you really in Antarctica?

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #7,793 of 9,207
The O2 is a fantastic little unit.  I've found it compares well against much more expensive units.  

+1. Haven't found any that's better actually, though I haven't heard some popular and expensive amps. Others color/tweaks the sound. I want to hear the actual recording, which, among the amps I've heard, is the best atm.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #7,794 of 9,207
+1. Haven't found any that's better actually, though I haven't heard some popular and expensive amps. Others color/tweaks the sound. I want to hear the actual recording, which, among the amps I've heard, is the best atm.

The Lyr and NFB-10 (now the NFB-27) are a must for you to try.  I prefer the latter as the former isn't much of a 'wow' unit, but you'll do well with either.
+1

Dagothur, you really in Antarctica?

I would tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #7,795 of 9,207
The Lyr and NFB-10 (now the NFB-27) are a must for you to try.  I prefer the latter as the former isn't much of a 'wow' unit, but you'll do well with either.
I would tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you.

Would the SQ improvement, if any to my ears, worth the extra money vs the O2's price? I decided to just use that money to buy any other HP I like to try.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #7,796 of 9,207
Would the SQ improvement, if any to my ears, worth the extra money vs the O2's price? I decided to just use that money to buy any other HP I like to try.

I prefer the NFB vastly over the O2 and you can run it balanced.  The Lyr is a solid amp that would work with most headphones but I don't recommend it over the O2 unless you're looking to make other upgrades in your system.  

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #7,797 of 9,207
I prefer the NFB vastly over the O2 and you can run it balanced.  The Lyr is a solid amp that would work with most headphones but I don't recommend it over the O2 unless you're looking to make other upgrades in your system.  

The NFB has an integrated DAC, what Audio-GD amp only model would equal the NFB?

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #7,798 of 9,207
The NFB has an integrated DAC, what Audio-GD amp only model would equal the NFB?

The NFB-6, as far as I'm aware.  King-wa has changed the lineup quite a bit in the past three years since I first got my amp, so there's no telling what he'll be doing this year as well.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #7,799 of 9,207
I couldn't find a similar thread for DAC for LCD-2 recommendations topic. So let me ask here.

Which DAC, up to $1500, would synergize best with LCD-2 (rev.2) and Bryston BHA-1? 

I was thinking:
Wyred4sound DAC-2
Lavry DA11
Schiit Gungnir
NuForce DAC9
Anedio D2

Could you help me decide? :)

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #7,800 of 9,207
The NFB-6, as far as I'm aware.  King-wa has changed the lineup quite a bit in the past three years since I first got my amp, so there's no telling what he'll be doing this year as well.

NFB-6 is the balanced, C-2 Class A looks pretty good too. And both are under $500!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back