Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #7,756 of 9,207

I trust you'll post your comparison?

Not sure if I will be buying any of them. Since receiving my balanced audeze cable the Bryston BHA-1 has come alive like no other. This just might be a keeper!

Okay. I will officially go on record as stating that the BHA-1 is a perfect match for the LCD-2 R2F.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #7,757 of 9,207
I've gone through a part of this thread, but it's really really long and I have a question in mind. If someone would care to answer it, I'd be grateful.

Could I get a better amp for my LCD-2 (rev.2) than Lyr with v.good tubes for the similar price (that is around $600). Or would I be better off upgrading my DAC (Bifrost Uber) for this money? Which upgrade would make more sense sound quality wise? Thank you.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #7,758 of 9,207
  Could I get a better amp for my LCD-2 (rev.2) than Lyr with v.good tubes for the similar price (that is around $600). Or would I be better off upgrading my DAC (Bifrost Uber) for this money? Which upgrade would make more sense sound quality wise? Thank you.

I would leave it as is and spend money elsewhere (I just got a pair of high-end IEMs, for instance). I don't see how upgrading any of those would significantly increase sound quality.

Unless you have a severe case of upgraditis, of course.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #7,759 of 9,207

I would leave it as is and spend money elsewhere (I just got a pair of high-end IEMs, for instance). I don't see how upgrading any of those would significantly increase sound quality.

Unless you have a severe case of upgraditis, of course.

Probably not a severe upgraditis at the moment, just a mild one:) I've been reading for some time that Lyr/Bifrost may be limiting the potential of LCD-2. The question is to what extent and how much more I could get from the headphones with a relatively cheap upgrade (say $600) in my audio chain, which is:
J.River Media Center 19> MK3 JKSPDIF (usb-spdif converter)> Schiit Bifrost > Schiit Lyr > LCD-2 rev.2

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #7,760 of 9,207
  Probably not a severe upgraditis at the moment, really just a mild one after I've been reading for some time that Lyr/Bifrost may be limiting much greater potential of LCD-2.
The question is how much more I could get from the headphone and if it is possible to achieve relatively cheaply (let's say $600).

Hard to say. I would try buying something with a great return policy at least. It's not going to be a night and day difference, though. Schiit stuff is very solid at any price level.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #7,761 of 9,207
Honestly the only amp I've ever tried that gave me the most out of my LCD-2 was my vintage Pioneer. It was the only one with REAL power.

It allowed me to play them at low volumes but with loads of kick so I got the most out of them at all times.

Never a dull moment

So do yourself a favor and hop on Craigslist and see if you can find a nice Pioneer, Yamaha, marantz, or others and you'll never look back.

Thanks,

:evil:

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #7,762 of 9,207
  Probably not a severe upgraditis at the moment, just a mild one:) I've been reading for some time that Lyr/Bifrost may be limiting the potential of LCD-2. The question is to what extent and how much more I could get from the headphones with a relatively cheap upgrade (say $600) in my audio chain, which is:
J.River Media Center 19> MK3 JKSPDIF (usb-spdif converter)> Schiit Bifrost > Schiit Lyr > LCD-2 rev.2

Clean and powerful SS amps are typically good matches for the LCD2. 

I can only recommend what I have listened to for a long time. I suggest two relatively affordable amps:  the Vioelectric V200 and the Schiit Mjolnir, both under $1,000 new and, I hope, in your price range.  You can pick up a used one, in excellent condition for a lot less than $1,000, especially now that many are upgrading to the bigger brothers (V281 and Ragnarok).

Of the two, the  V200 had a cleaner sound and power enough for the LCD2 but you could get even more power with slightly less sophisticated sound with the balanced V181:  thunderous bass but somewhat dark sound. To stick with the Schiit family, the Mjolnir can make the LCD2 really shine:  good bass and clear mid-range with much of the dark sound of the LCD2 gone.  But, depending on your sensitivity, the sizzling treble may prove to be fatiguing in long run so it's best to audition first. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #7,763 of 9,207

Not sure if I will be buying any of them. Since receiving my balanced audeze cable the Bryston BHA-1 has come alive like no other. This just might be a keeper!

Okay. I will officially go on record as stating that the BHA-1 is a perfect match for the LCD-2 R2F.

the bha-1 is super with just about anything

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #7,764 of 9,207
  Clean and powerful SS amps are typically good matches for the LCD2. 

I can only recommend what I have listened to for a long time. I suggest two relatively affordable amps:  the Vioelectric V200 and the Schiit Mjolnir, both under $1,000 new and, I hope, in your price range.  You can pick up a used one, in excellent condition for a lot less than $1,000, especially now that many are upgrading to the bigger brothers (V281 and Ragnarok).

Of the two, the  V200 had a cleaner sound and power enough for the LCD2 but you could get even more power with slightly less sophisticated sound with the balanced V181:  thunderous bass but somewhat dark sound. To stick with the Schiit family, the Mjolnir can make the LCD2 really shine:  good bass and clear mid-range with much of the dark sound of the LCD2 gone.  But, depending on your sensitivity, the sizzling treble may prove to be fatiguing in long run so it's best to audition first. 

the bha-1 is super with just about anything

Thank you guys for the recommendations!

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #7,766 of 9,207
The LCD-2s, IMHO, could be enjoyed or taken advantaged mostly with a NEUTRAL AND TRANSPARENT amp, like the Bryston BHA-1, Benchmark or the Objective2. I think its designer has grown tired of dark-warm sounding amps for bright or no-sub bass sounding HPs..:D

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #7,767 of 9,207
Jan 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #7,768 of 9,207
hi!

im using atm my LCD2 Fazor with the O2/ODAC combo.
i think i would prefer a little more bass in the sound than the O2 could provide.

what amp/dac combo would u recommend?

if i buy the Schiit Lyr would be a ULTRAGORGEOUS diference or something that only trained ears could hear?
or maybe the idsd micro with the bass boost?

Well, in my case, what amp would u recommend? max $ 300/400 if the difference really worth!

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #7,769 of 9,207
hi!

im using atm my LCD2 Fazor with the O2/ODAC combo.
i think i would prefer a little more bass in the sound than the O2 could provide.

what amp/dac combo would u recommend?

if i buy the Schiit Lyr would be a ULTRAGORGEOUS diference or something that only trained ears could hear?
or maybe the idsd micro with the bass boost?

Well, in my case, what amp would u recommend? max $ 300/400 if the difference really worth!

The micro iDSD is US$500, I believe.

If you're me at that budget, I'll get a 2nd hand DAC with multiple filters to connect to the O2. DacMagic+ Would fit your budget. Rega DAC also. M-DAC is much better with excellent digiyal fikters that would bring out the bass in a recording, but it's slightly higher than your budget.

I have an Audiolab 8200CD (CD player+M-DAC integrated) and it sounds very bass sufficient, especially with the Optimal Transient DD filter for the great sub-bass (which I've found only the Audezes can dig, btw).

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #7,770 of 9,207
As a general recommendation I really enjoy my LCD-2 with balanced cable plugged in to the Oppo HA-1. There is plenty of power on tap for the dynamics and the LCD warmth plays well with the detail from the HA-1. It doesn't put me in to a musical coma like the Pan Am but sure gets the PRaT right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back