Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 9, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #7,771 of 9,207
hi!

im using atm my LCD2 Fazor with the O2/ODAC combo.
i think i would prefer a little more bass in the sound than the O2 could provide.

what amp/dac combo would u recommend?

if i buy the Schiit Lyr would be a ULTRAGORGEOUS diference or something that only trained ears could hear?
or maybe the idsd micro with the bass boost?

Well, in my case, what amp would u recommend? max $ 300/400 if the difference really worth!

Some users here give a lot of praise to GUSTARD H10 amp ($350 shipped) especially with planar headphones (LCD-2 included of course!)
(The discussion about the amp: http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier) ...from which it seems that Gustard H10 has more bass extension and power than O2 and in general is a very very good amp.

I am considering myself  buying it, although I am still researching the topic as I would like to be sure it will be a clear upgrade from my Lyr. At the moment I haven't found the definite answer (but i am in the middle of the thread so maybe there is more info ahead)

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #7,772 of 9,207
but these amps you did recommend would be night and day difference between the O2?

and what do you think about the Ifi IDSD micro? the extra bass button would be what im looking for?
i just want more bass for my LCD2. i really dont need any changes in sound signature...

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #7,774 of 9,207
but these amps you did recommend would be night and day difference between the O2?

and what do you think about the Ifi IDSD micro? the extra bass button would be what im looking for?
i just want more bass for my LCD2. i really dont need any changes in sound signature...

If you are looking for something that would just bump up the bass just a touch or two, then yea, the extra bass switch is pretty nice. If you are looking for more of a boost than that, the iDSD micro isn't really the right choice.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #7,775 of 9,207

Compared to most IEMs and headphones, the LCD2 is power-hungry, less so than the AKG K1000 and HE-6, but more so than most anything else.

You can get a slight bass boost with small portable amps but to get a real bass, you will likely need at least a desk-top size amp with big enough power supply and high current to feed the hungry monster.

And about the sound signature of the LCD2, with all due respect, I do not think you have heard it yet until you give the LCD2 adequate amplification. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #7,776 of 9,207
Compared to most IEMs and headphones, the LCD2 is power-hungry, less so than the AKG K1000 and HE-6, but more so than most anything else.

You can get a slight bass boost with small portable amps but to get a real bass, you will likely need at least a desk-top size amp with big enough power supply and high current to feed the hungry monster.

And about the sound signature of the LCD2, with all due respect, I do not think you have heard it yet until you give the LCD2 adequate amplification. 

What's "adequate" amplification for LCD-2?

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #7,777 of 9,207

I left that ambiguous on purpose as it varies a lot from one person to another.

The LCD2/3 are designed for desk-top or home use, not really as portable headphones--though some, to my surprise, have used them as such--so as a rule of thumb, you need a desk-top or full-size amp to drive these cans properly. The distinction made by Head-Fi forums of portable vs. full-size is a good guideline.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #7,778 of 9,207

I left that ambiguous on purpose as it varies a lot from one person to another.

The LCD2/3 are designed for desk-top or home use, not really as portable headphones--though some, to my surprise, have used them as such--so as a rule of thumb, you need a desk-top or full-size amp to drive these cans properly. The distinction made by Head-Fi forums of portable vs. full-size is a good guideline.

LCD-2.2 only needs around 1.99Vrms to reach 110dB, IIRC. LCD-2F around 1.89Vrms.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #7,780 of 9,207
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #7,781 of 9,207
What's your criteria then? Must be desktop and expensive, eh?

It's not pretentious to think they could benefit from a powerful amp, from experience.  The difference between running them from a Nuforce HDP or a portable and from a Lyr is not insignificant.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #7,782 of 9,207
I have to agree with dag on this one. My LCD2F sounds much better via a home amp Vs a portable. Like it is a big difference to me. Just because he is saying you might benefit with a home amp does not mean you have to spend thousands of dollars. A $250 Polaris does these cans justice. In my experience I have used the following equipment to power my LCD2F cans:

Windows phone
ipod
ipad
lappy
PC
Fiio E12
HK 3490
Onkyo TX-SR605
Project Polaris
Project Ember
Bryston BHA-1

And let me say that it sounded leaps better with the last 5 units in my list.

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #7,783 of 9,207
Well, I've found that the limiting or differentiating factor on portable setups vs desktops is the DAC, not the amp.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #7,784 of 9,207
I find that with a more powerful amp the dynamics in the music improve exponentially. The bass has more impact and the mids and highs feel clearer. There just seems to be more PRaT. Sure, I can drive the LCD-2 to loud volumes with less powerful gear, but it sounds flat overall. I'm looking for a quality musical experience which I why I paid for an expensive headphone. Why would I hobble its potential with an amp that robs it of such potential.

As far as DAC improvements, I agree that the planar drivers seem more detailed to me so the same thing applies. A better DAC shows the potential of the headphone.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #7,785 of 9,207
I find that with a more powerful amp the dynamics in the music improve exponentially. The bass has more impact and the mids and highs feel clearer. There just seems to be more PRaT. Sure, I can drive the LCD-2 to loud volumes with less powerful gear, but it sounds flat overall. I'm looking for a quality musical experience which I why I paid for an expensive headphone. Why would I hobble its potential with an amp that robs it of such potential.

As far as DAC improvements, I agree that the planar drivers seem more detailed to me so the same thing applies. A better DAC shows the potential of the headphone.

Did you compare the portable vs desktop amp (with both having enough power) using the same DAC?

I have previously thought so like you too, until I noticed that I was actually comparing the portable setup vs desktop setup using different portable DAC vs desktop DAC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back