Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #3,976 of 9,207

Quote:
Clearly not, at least not in my book, why don't you start by saying what amp you heard which you liked, didn't liked and why, which sound you're after and what music you listen too.

People here are very talented at spending hypothetical dollars, they will spend your 3k $ like it's nothing and spending 500$ on an amp and 1'500$ on an DAC is in my humble opinion madness.

From the amp that I actually owned I enjoyed the LCD-2 quite a lot with the Meier combo concerto+stagedac, the burson is a good match too and the audio-gd phoenix in balance mode had a lot of punch.

Well in my case it's really not hypothetical.   I own the LCD-2 and the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2.  I use the Violectric V200 as an amp but I substituted the Lyr because it fits inside the budget and MANY people in this thread use it with the LCD-2 and love it.  Many people in this thread actually have the W4S/Lyr/LCD-2 combo so your opinion actually does seem to be humble and misguided.

As far as having a great source well you really can't beat that concept now can you.   Starting the chain with a very good source is far from madness and will always pay great sonic benefits.   

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3,977 of 9,207

Quote:
Well in my case it's really not hypothetical.   I own the LCD-2 and the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2.  I use the Violectric V200 as an amp but I substituted the Lyr because it fits inside the budget and MANY people in this thread use it with the LCD-2 and love it.  Many people in this thread actually have the W4S/Lyr/LCD-2 combo so your opinion actually does seem to be humble and misguided.

As far as having a great source well you really can't beat that concept now can you.   Starting the chain with a very good source is far from madness and will always pay great sonic benefits.   

Maybe you misunderstood my point, by no mean am I saying it's bad combo, I'm just saying that if you give people a budget of 3k they will spend you 3k, heck they will spend even more, so putting half of the budget on DAC just because there's 3k to spend doesn't make sense to me and yes I would argue about your source 'concept' but it's been discussed over and over and both side have valid points.

I'm just sharing my own opinion and if it's different from yours means it's misguided well... there's not much more I can say.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3,978 of 9,207
I have yet to hear ANY kind of desktop material.

With LCD-2 I am looking for a sound that will complement male vocals, some female vocals, and ballad. Some classical, but mostly vocals, mellow stuff. However, i would appreciate some kick and sub bass from dub step and pop. Clarity is also a must but not overly harsh highs. Mainly looking for lush mids to go with the LCD-2.

What are some examples of source? I don't have CDs.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3,979 of 9,207
My priorities are the same as you stated. The V200 will provide what you ask for on the LCD-2. Hands-down. The vocals get that detailed, clearity with hint of richness. Totally hooked on that sound signature. I use a Hegel HD10 DAC (it is on the litle warm-ish borderline of neutral)

Happy hunting. Hope you find your synergi / components to enjoy the music genres you stated. :)

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3,981 of 9,207

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood my point, by no mean am I saying it's bad combo, I'm just saying that if you give people a budget of 3k they will spend you 3k, heck they will spend even more, so putting half of the budget on DAC just because there's 3k to spend doesn't make sense to me and yes I would argue about your source 'concept' but it's been discussed over and over and both side have valid points.

I'm just sharing my own opinion and if it's different from yours means it's misguided well... there's not much more I can say.

Sorry guy but when you say spending $1500 on a DAC is "Madness", it's hard to misunderstand.   Saying "in my opinion", or "it doesn't make sense to me" is a different story altogether.     Also there are plenty of folks here that have done just that in a $3-3.5K budget spent the 1.5K on the W4S DAC.  Not one of them has regretted it from what I can see and that's not "hypothetical" spending.   

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #3,982 of 9,207
Is the Meier combination in Skylabs top 10 amps in pairing with the LCD2's?  

My suggestion would be to look at Robs recommendations of amps and then go from there.

$3k is a little bit tight including the cans but would be able to buy both the Schiit intermediate balanced amp and dac plus the cans and some change for cables.  This should go on pre-order within the month.  I know that it is unproven but if the Lyr can make it to Skylabs top list for only $450 then I am prepared to back that Schiit will come up trumps again.

Quote:
Clearly not, at least not in my book, why don't you start by saying what amp you heard which you liked, didn't liked and why, which sound you're after and what music you listen too.

People here are very talented at spending hypothetical dollars, they will spend your 3k $ like it's nothing and spending 500$ on an amp and 1'500$ on an DAC is in my humble opinion madness.

From the amp that I actually owned I enjoyed the LCD-2 quite a lot with the Meier combo concerto+stagedac, the burson is a good match too and the audio-gd phoenix in balance mode had a lot of punch.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3,984 of 9,207
I've recently joined the 'source first' club and think WA's suggested combo would be very hard to beat.

Although the Metrum Acoustics Mini DAC "Octave" + decent USB-SPDIF converter for around the same $1.5k may be as good and possibly better.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3,985 of 9,207
If you buy the source first theory by all means get the Zodiac Plus DAC with all the $3,000 first or even spend a thousand more on the Zodiac Gold. They have headphones out. Then spend another $3,000 when you are ready to get one of the better headphone amps such as the Leben which is at the very top spot of Skylab's list. Through these years I know that going straight for higher end stuff is much cheaper than buying low end stuff and then inevitably upgrading.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #3,986 of 9,207
I'm using a borrowed pair of LCD-2s (Rev 1) with either my DIY Dynalo or a Dynahi I built. It sounds quite good with either of them, maybe a bit better with the Dynahi. Sources are a pair of modified Rotels (855 with discrete output and clock, and a 991 with modified output stage). I could easily live with these cans. I listen to a variety of material, but these are most impressive on large symphonic works. Best bass I've heard in a headphone (when it is there in the recording). I have not heard these much on other amps, so no comparisons there. And I have not heard the Rev. 2s.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,987 of 9,207
As close as the RMAF show is, I would wait to spend my $3000 after the show. There are going to be several new amps-DAC's introduced at the show. RMAF is less than 30 days away now.

Another option is the Antelope Zodiac at $1695 and LCD2 at $1000. This combo sounds great and includes one of the best Dac's on the market today. The amp section matches the LCD2's perfectly with male and female vocals.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #3,988 of 9,207
For those using the SR71B for the LCD2 - do you use mid gain at a higher volume or high gain at a lower volume? Which sounds better to you, or are they the same? I think they sound about the same to me. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3,989 of 9,207
For those using the SR71B for the LCD2 - do you use mid gain at a higher volume or high gain at a lower volume? Which sounds better to you, or are they the same? I think they sound about the same to me. Thanks.

If it sounds the same to you, I would go for mid gain, high volume since you can control the volume more precisely. I've also read many people using mid gain because of this reason.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3,990 of 9,207
FOLKS - THIS IS CRAZY. I have run in the SR71B for three days now. Now it is lunch hour - I just had a listen for my LCD2 (the Apple iBud used for run in is still intact btw!!), and it was like - how can a portable setup sound so good !!! And I don't even have the balanced cable yet - still using the balanced to SE connector for the SR71B. Dudes - no kidding - go get the SR71B with the CLAS it is just so darn good for such a small footprint. Definitely better than the Burson no kidding!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back