Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3,991 of 9,207
FOLKS - THIS IS CRAZY. I have run in the SR71B for three days now. Now it is lunch hour - I just had a listen for my LCD2 (the Apple iBud used for run in is still intact btw!!), and it was like - how can a portable setup sound so good !!! And I don't even have the balanced cable yet - still using the balanced to SE connector for the SR71B. Dudes - no kidding - go get the SR71B with the CLAS it is just so darn good for such a small footprint. Definitely better than the Burson no kidding!!!

Would you like to give a comparison between that and the Leben, in ten words? (Just so I know what I can expect to lose out on if I go for this transportable rig)

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #3,993 of 9,207

Quote:
I have yet to hear ANY kind of desktop material.

With LCD-2 I am looking for a sound that will complement male vocals, some female vocals, and ballad. Some classical, but mostly vocals, mellow stuff. However, i would appreciate some kick and sub bass from dub step and pop. Clarity is also a must but not overly harsh highs. Mainly looking for lush mids to go with the LCD-2.

What are some examples of source? I don't have CDs.

I think we have the same taste.. If you're looking for some serious kick bass with superb clarity, I recommend M1 HPA + Dac-2 + LCD-2 ($3300). You will have all the details & clarity of the HD800 without sacrificing the natural lush mid of the LCD-2. or you can go with DAC-2 + LYR but you will loose some details especially on the extended high from M1 HPA & the dynamics (drums don't hit as hard with LYR) but it still make a very good combo. Do not sacrifice the DAC, its the most important chain in my opinion beside the headphone. IE. if you have a lousy DAC, no amount of amp is going to make it sound better - all the details, music separation is lost.

Worst case scenario, Just get W4S DAC-2 & connect directly to the balance out with Q audio balance cable. Sound superb too..

Here's my ranking from what I have:
1) M1 HPA + W4S DAC-2 + LCD-2 (don't worry abt cable) - $799 + $1499 + $945
2) LYR + W4S DAC-2 = $499 + $1499 + $945 (go with 6B27 tubes to get some clarity)
3) W4S + Q audio balance cable = $1499 + $200

Any of the above would blow most portable DAC and amp out of the water (with the exception of Algorhythm solo dac
smile.gif
)

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #3,994 of 9,207

Quote:

I think we have the same taste.. If you're looking for some serious kick bass with superb clarity, I recommend M1 HPA + Dac-2 + LCD-2 ($3300). You will have all the details & clarity of the HD800 without sacrificing the natural lush mid of the LCD-2. or you can go with DAC-2 + LYR but you will loose some details especially on the extended high from M1 HPA & the dynamics (drums don't hit as hard with LYR) but it still make a very good combo. Do not sacrifice the DAC, its the most important chain in my opinion beside the headphone. IE. if you have a lousy DAC, no amount of amp is going to make it sound better - all the details, music separation is lost.

Worst case scenario, Just get W4S DAC-2 & connect directly to the balance out with Q audio balance cable. Sound superb too..

Here's my ranking from what I have:
1) M1 HPA + W4S DAC-2 + LCD-2 (don't worry abt cable) - $799 + $1499 + $945
2) LYR + W4S DAC-2 = $499 + $1499 + $945 (go with 6B27 tubes to get some clarity)
3) W4S + Q audio balance cable = $1499 + $200

Any of the above would smoke most portable DAC and amp out of the water (with the exception of Algorhythm solo dac
smile.gif
)

For a while before I got my amp I was connecting my LCD-2 directly to the outs of the W4S DAC-2 using an adapter cable I had made from Blue Jeans Cable.  W4S suggested the cables and the LCD hookup.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #3,996 of 9,207

Quote:
How was it, and how was the improvement when you got your v200?

It wasn't  bad actually and it enabled me to take a little more time to decide on an amp.  But it was no match for the V200.   sometimes at night I use the DAC-2 in my home theater to watch high def files from my WD HD Player and I use the DAC outs that way with the connector for headphone viewing.  

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #3,998 of 9,207

Quote:
Another option is the Antelope Zodiac at $1695 and LCD2 at $1000. This combo sounds great and includes one of the best Dac's on the market today. The amp section matches the LCD2's perfectly with male and female vocals.

I owned the Zodiac+ that I recently sold here, granted I'm not a big fan of the 'all-in-one' boxes (says the guy who just purchased a RWA AE) I have to say that the Zodiacs are outstanding DACs, from memory it came very close to my all time DAC reference the Weiss 202 (selling it was by far my biggest 'audiophile' mistake) and that means a lot (at least to me) but I thought the amp part was lacking a bit of power to make the LCD-2 truly shine, when paired with my now gone Audio-GD phoenix in balance mode I have to say it was an outstanding combo, in terms of neutrality and dynamic it might have been the best my LCD-2 sounded.

Another all-in-one option that I liked but didn't owned is the lynx Hilo, it doesn't get much love here because it's more geared towards the professional crowd but I spent ~1 hour with it and I was impressed (http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=59#)

One think is for sure with 3'000$ you have a lot of great option, if you can I would really try to find a place where you can listen to some gear so you get an idea for yourself, forums are great but nothing beat hearing things for yourself.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #3,999 of 9,207
My recommendation for an LCD-2 system under 3k would be :

Assemblage DAC 2.7 source that i have for sale (825 plus shipping)  (i'll wager a bet none of the DACs listed in the posts above comes close to its tonality, dynamics and midrange).

Stacker 2 headphone amplifier (the model no escapes me) -900 plus shipping 

Audeze LCD-2  Rev 2 - 1k

Q audio or used ALO audio cable - 250

Crimson  RM Musiclink interconnects. - 360

You would have a world class system..this had been my reference system for nearly 2 and half years!! The only thing that has changed in my rig is the Liquid Fire and the only reason for selling the assemblage is cause am downsizing to just one rig.

edit: ok ok ..a little over 3k..

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #4,001 of 9,207

Quote:
So many different recommendations........ It's overwhelming...

Part of it comes from people having different tastes.  Even if someone likes the same music, priorities and aesthetics can vary wildly.  As m0gwai points out, you also have a lot of options in the price range...some better than others, but lots of serviceable combos.

That being said, the combination sachu recommends is what I had been using until the Liquid Fire and Berkeley DAC purchases.  At the price point, the Assemblage->Stacker combo is great and has wonderful synergy with the LCD-2, especially if your aesthetic is for vocals.  And I'm not saying that just because my Stacker II is for sale. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #4,002 of 9,207
I think at this point the DAC-2 is pretty much a given.
I'm looking for comparisons among the M1, Lyr, V200, and the Stacker 2...

Anyone willing to help me out before I go spending years trying to dig up vague comparisons in the millions of threads, dating back to the dinosaur age, via the "search function?"

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #4,003 of 9,207
none of those come anywhere close to the stacker in terms of sheer musicality. YOu will be grinning from ear to ear, guaranteed! An upgrade form the stacker 2 would mean moving on to the LIquid Fire or a Balancing Act.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #4,004 of 9,207
I think instead of a portable sr71b balanced aetup that will cost me 2600 (including balanced input) I will go for the DAC-2 and use the LCD2 straight from it as I study more into the different amps and also save up more $ as well. :p smarter choice probs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back