Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Oct 28, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #916 of 2,483
And that is just a far echo of what you'll get with Jumbos.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #917 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly what the PS1000 is, Mike. That additional power boost is damned fun, but it restricts its musical bandwidth a bit. I peronally wouldn't use a PS1000 for calmer stuff stuff such as Jazz, Folks or Classical.

The Ulti is still hardly to be beaten in respect of naturalness and musical bandwidth IMO.

thanks Nic, that saved me 1700$
happy_face1.gif

by the way,

where do you place the HF2 with respect to "school" (Joseph or Joe) and with respect to power.

For example the 325gold compared to the 325 is a step away from the John and toward the Joseph school.
Well a "micro" step at least.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #918 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by kintsaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where do you place the HF2 with respect to "school" (Joseph or Joe) and with respect to power.

No idea, never heared it.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #919 of 2,483
I read through 62 pages of this, and sent a half a dozen PM's to all the people who at one time or another were making distancers for sale in the US. No replies, so far...

Anyone have a line on someone making these for sale?

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #920 of 2,483
Maybe RDS's PM box is full. He'll notice you anyway after that inquiry here.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #921 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewfus420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read through 62 pages of this, and sent a half a dozen PM's to all the people who at one time or another were making distancers for sale in the US. No replies, so far...

Anyone have a line on someone making these for sale?

I don't recall receiving a PM, but I'm not set up to make them yet. I haven't been able to get my hands on the lathe and my buddy with the CNC mill has been busy making parts for his historic house renovation so his mill is tied up indefinitely. I'll say it again though, find a local wood turner through a wood shop or local store of the Woodcraft chain. For a skilled wood turner, they are very simple to make and they can crank them out quickly on a lathe, but you'll have to pay for that skill.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #922 of 2,483
FlauschigerChillibär (from the german hifi-forum) measured one of those MS ultimate's:

SR-60 for comparison

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #923 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FlauschigerChillibär (from the german hifi-forum) measured one of those MS ultimate's:

SR-60 for comparison

Most useful post in a while, Thanx!

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #924 of 2,483
Quite even between 60 and 15K Hz, ain't it?

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #925 of 2,483
I just got my free distancers from fatman711 after a very short wait and they look great! BIG thanks Jeremy! All that's left to do is find (finally) a pair of donut pads and stain/drill the wooden extensions. Is there some agreement as to what the best semi-permanent and/or easily removed fixing agent for attaching them is? I'm afraid that I will want the option of removing them so that I can occasionally listen with regular bowls for comparison. Hmmm?

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #926 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there some agreement as to what the best semi-permanent and/or easily removed fixing agent for attaching them is? I'm afraid that I will want the option of removing them so that I can occasionally listen with regular bowls for comparison. Hmmm?

I have distancers on my grados held together with blu-tack for the last couple months. To be honest it took a while to get them on and off (my blu-tack was kinda old and a bit stiff) so this might not be the best option. I've heard of using electrical tape, but I don't think that holds up too well over time. No giant bowls so its not the full mod but it has given it a little better soundstage.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #927 of 2,483
Thanks for the suggestion. So, this blue tack... it's basically the same stuff that one uses to attach posters to a wall, etc.? I didn't think that would provide sufficient hold over long periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back