Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Oct 6, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #812 of 2,483
Yeah. MDF is very cheap!!

I think Oak would be the way to go?

You should try making them out of one piece if you have the tools to do so.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #813 of 2,483
yeh i just thought of a way to make them outta one piece. but it would take longer to make i reackon.
dont have a lathe...dont think its worth purchasing one either...coz no ones gonna make money outta selling distancers lol.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #814 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this price include felt and the holes drilled?

Utilisation of the present time form is wrong here. Those folks in Poland just sold the distancers, fine tuning by means of felting & drilling was unknown back then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun
what wood do you guys usually use?

Linden, it's an easy but solid wood, with an extraordinary homogenious structure. I severely doubt that different distancer materials sound different BTW, but I guess you are from that other fraction.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #815 of 2,483
I use wood from Scandinavia. The Dutch word is vuren but I have no clue what it is called like in English. It is basically the standard issue wood for construction work (at least here in the Netherlands). It is easy to get from any DIY-store, easy to work with and strong.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #817 of 2,483
nickchen (or anyone else who has experienced both MS1000 & Ultimate), can you comment on the bass quantity of MS Ultimate when compared to MS1000? I don't know if this is already mentioned in this thread. Also, how neutral ("audiophile") are compared to MS1000?
I may be looking for a new pair of headphones, and I don't see any practical possibilities to audition Ultimates. Thanks in advance.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #818 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dutch word is vuren but I have no clue what it is called like in English.

You need to work on that google-fu, mate.
regular_smile .gif

vuren - Wiktionary

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #820 of 2,483
Got distancers in, installed them on my 225i, not enough mids, etc. Is there any magical combination of felt or drilling that will restore some of the mids? Thanks.

EDIT: By the way, anyone looking for an easy reversible solution to adding distancers, I sprayed some of this on where I would attach the distancers to the cups and set them when they were still moist:

23709-1011-1-3ww-l.jpg

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #821 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got distancers in, installed them on my 225i, not enough mids, etc. Is there any magical combination of felt or drilling that will restore some of the mids? Thanks.

EDIT: By the way, anyone looking for an easy reversible solution to adding distancers, I sprayed some of this on where I would attach the distancers to the cups and set them when they were still moist:

23709-1011-1-3ww-l.jpg

^ How can it be "temporary or permanent"?
tongue.gif

Anyways. How many holes do your distancers have and how big are they?

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #822 of 2,483
They don't have any holes, and I'm not sure how big they are... From the first post, they look most like the 11.5mm (definitely shorter than 14mm).

By the way, the craft bond can be permanent if you get both surfaces wet and them mount them and apply pressure for ~1 hour. For temporary, you can get one surface wet and press it down for ~20 minutes on the desired surface. That's what I did and it held well but came off easily enough when I wanted to remove them.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #823 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flipjack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nickchen (or anyone else who has experienced both MS1000 & Ultimate), can you comment on the bass quantity of MS Ultimate when compared to MS1000?

Principally identical.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #824 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got distancers in, installed them on my 225i, not enough mids, etc. Is there any magical combination of felt or drilling that will restore some of the mids?
They don't have any holes, and I'm not sure how big they are... From the first post, they look most like the 11.5mm (definitely shorter than 14mm).

Wrong proband, no holes, shorter distancers...
deadhorse.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #825 of 2,483
i have a sr125 modded with aluminium cup, al distancer but no gs1000 pads
In term of sound, IMO, bass increases a little bit, soundstage increases, i can listen to classical now and anysong sounds better, apart from that it's still a sr125, love it!!!.so the question is: with the distancer, how much difference there is between normal pad and gs1000 pads? is it worth investing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back