Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Oct 1, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #781 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, people in NA feel free to pm me regarding distancers

Just when you think you're out, they suck you back in!

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #782 of 2,483
Philimon, you meant like this, right?:

DSCF1650.jpg

DSCF1651.jpg

IIRC, it sounded similar to MS1 with distancers and quartermodded comfies. I liked it, music gets more in your face and 'fun', but you get less detail and instrument seperation. I personally prefer the 'normal' MS1000 , but I'm curious to read what you think about it

Oh and in my search for some nice felt, I just ended up using the Beyerdynamic foam apatN privided with his distancers. The harshness is as good as gone now, so that's a good thing (maybe burn-in?). Still, my DT990 Pro's really get me smiling with their treble, where the MS1000 does not. But overall I still prefer MS1000 over DT990 (and Darth's -> I can see myself selling these babies one day
frown.gif
).

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #783 of 2,483
Exactly Flipjack. And thank you for the pic.

Plus you can push the pads even further back on the distancers... During the time I have had to listen - I prefer a tapered variation as I explained in my other post... It doesn't seem to kill the soundstage, etc. so much. It has the sound sig of an MS1 w/distancers and regular bowls, with the MS1000 soundstage (I have yet to confirm how well though).

I have had 3 exams in a row this week (my final one today). I might have some time tomorrow to play around and make a test of the mod. I will try and get a pic up as well.

And again I post a disclaimer that your results might vary, because I suspect my MS1 may be a little different as Nickchen noted describing he has heard several MS1s with varying sound and not all could make the transfer to an MS1000 well... However the mod is very simple and quick to do, so it is worth your while to try if you would like to make them sound a little more "fun" as you said Flipjack.

-----------------

Listening right now while studying... I prefer the tapered mod, but with the front of the pads only going down to the stock housing lip, and not past it as I said in my other post. Otherwise it seems like the bass goes a bit overboard, and the soundstage is not so much.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #784 of 2,483
Any advice / final words of encouragement for someone seriously considering selling his Stax setup (see signature) for the purpose of investing in an "MS-Ultimate" instead?

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #785 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any advice / final words of encouragement for someone seriously considering selling his Stax setup (see signature) for the purpose of investing in an "MS-Ultimate" instead?

Don't?

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #787 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't.

x2. That's like selling the big S-class Mercedes in order to get a Porsche.

If you love your tinkered Alessandro so much, I do recommend getting an Ultimate in the long run though. Enjoy your MS1K in the meantime.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #788 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you love your tinkered Alessandro so much, I do recommend getting an Ultimate in the long run though. Enjoy your MS1K in the meantime.

Whatcha got against Porsche's?

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #789 of 2,483
I can't speak for this whole "ultimate" thing, but I personally prefer Grado over Stax at most price points. Not sure about Omega vs PS1, though. That's a toughie...

So yeah, the only issue in my mind is the bagel issue: the fact that neither the GS1000 or PS1000 are as good as a plain jane RS1.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #790 of 2,483
Thanks for the words of non-encouragement. I guess there is a possibility I'd have regretted it.

I'll probably start saving to have both in the future (MS-Ulti while keeping the Stax rig). At least the MS-1000 and the Stax rig are very much complementary, with almost opposite strengths and uses.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #792 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the words of non-encouragement. I guess there is a possibility I'd have regretted it.

I'll probably start saving to have both in the future (MS-Ulti while keeping the Stax rig). At least the MS-1000 and the Stax rig are very much complementary, with almost opposite strengths and uses.

1st question would be do you like the "Grado Sound". You should answer that question first.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #794 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His sig says he has an MS1000i
tongue.gif

I'm still waiting for my jumbos to come in
frown.gif

Hmmm, I missed that, then I'm not sure what the entire question was really.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #795 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess if the M-B was an AMG E63 Black Edition and the Porsche was a Cayman S...
tongue.gif

But I really need to mod the 125s before I make final judgment, however, I traded off my new replacement driver'ed RS-1s because I just didn't like the sound enough to justify keeping them. The 325s are on the chopping block too, but I do love the look silver aluminum cups so they might get upgraded yokes and blocks t all aluminum and aluminum honeycomb grills and just stay as a shelf queen.

Comfy, send me a PM with how much you would want for the SR-LNS. I'll be building an all tube 'stat amp early next year and I have the transformers for a DIY Stax Energizer so I do not need the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back