Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Mar 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #347 of 2,483
Seems to be Dutch only so far, lets call it the "tulip & gouda" modification. You'll got to leave the pads yellow...umhhh... blond then
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #349 of 2,483
Got my Grado GS1000 bowls today. Very comfortable! The bowls cover the ears completely, at least my ears! The bowls makes the distancers more further from your ears, Thus there is more sound leaking. When i push the bows more to my head you hear that less sound is leaking. I wonder if this the idea that makes the bowls the right choise?
Asking myself this question i think at the end the overall sound should be the decisive factor if these bowls are the best choice. I need more hours listening if i like the sound with these big bowls more than the reversed quarter modded HD414 pad mod. As i said before comfort wise they are the best.

I bought the GS1000 bowls for 60 Cad (including shipping!) which is about 37 Euro at
Planet of Sound : Purveyors of fine audio equipment : 1194 Bank St., Ottawa, ON, Canada
(ask to send by regular mail when shipping to Europe)

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #350 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhmjmango
I bought the GS1000 bowls for 60 Cad (including shipping!) which is about 37 Euro at
Planet of Sound : Purveyors of fine audio equipment : 1194 Bank St., Ottawa, ON, Canada
(ask to send by regular mail when shipping to Europe)

Thanks for sharing that link, a really attractive price. I'll edit it into post #1 and into the german MS1K home thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx
I will be starting my woody MS1K mod today. Wish me luck!

Okay, good look, post a pic when you're ready. BTW, I just sawed my MS Pro for a similar purpose.
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #351 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be starting my woody MS1K mod today. Wish me luck!

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhmjmango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Grado GS1000 bowls today. Very comfortable! The bowls cover the ears completely, at least my ears! The bowls makes the distancers more further from your ears, Thus there is more sound leaking. When i push the bows more to my head you hear that less sound is leaking. I wonder if this the idea that makes the bowls the right choise?
Asking myself this question i think at the end the overall sound should be the decisive factor if these bowls are the best choice. I need more hours listening if i like the sound with these big bowls more than the reversed quarter modded HD414 pad mod. As i said before comfort wise they are the best.

Yep. There is a nice difference between the two pads. They both present the sound completely different. For the price of the HD414 pads though I'd keep both.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #353 of 2,483
Solid craftmanship.
beerchug.gif

Are you sure you chose the right dimensions for the drill holes? Seems to be a bit fat IMO...

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #354 of 2,483
I decided against the big bowl pads of the Grado Gs1k in favour of the Sennheisers HD414 pads (used as quarter reversed pads). Sure they are comfortable and cover your ears completely. But I am not convinced that the big bowls are the best option to use for the best sound. At least for me!!
I spend some time listening to both configurations and was more content with the sound using the 414 pads.

Anyone interested to take over my Grado GS1000 pads? Let me know in a pm.
SOLD!!

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #355 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solid craftmanship.
beerchug.gif

Are you sure you chose the right dimensions for the drill holes? Seems to be a bit fat IMO...

I was going to say exactly the same. They look really big. Also the inner diameter looks slightly too small as it seems to cover up a small part of the outer holes. I can take pictures of it if you want.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #356 of 2,483
Well, with only 3 hole saws, I did a pretty good job.
smily_headphones1.gif

37mm, 51mm, and 57mm..

The chamber is a little smaller than the transducer (hence the "fatness"), but it doesn't seem to affect the sound quality at all. I haven't exactly finished the spacer, still need more sanding, stain, varnish, a layer of felt.

I'm not sure if the "breathing holes" are the right size, I just took the smallest drill bit and drill through it. :S

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #357 of 2,483
Hmm. That 37mm needs to be 40mm ideally. I guess the holes are a bit too big as well but might work if you did three. Nickchen was talking about either 4x1.5 or 2x2.5 and your holes look bigger than 2.5mm to me.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #358 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. That 37mm needs to be 40mm ideally. I guess the holes are a bit too big as well but might work if you did three. Nickchen was talking about either 4x1.5 or 2x2.5 and your holes look bigger than 2.5mm to me.

I know! But with limited tools, I can only do so much.
frown.gif
Plus, the hole saws here in Canada are using imperial units thanks to US of A.
mad.gif
Stupid 1 7/8 of an inch!

I guess I can just sand it down to 40mm, you know.. Like take the sandpaper to the 37mm and spin it with the drill in the chamber. haha.

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #359 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I can just sand it down to 40mm, you know.. Like take the sandpaper to the 37mm and spin it with the drill in the chamber. haha.

Organize yourself a little round "grindstone thingy" or a dremel to be put into the drill, that should be the quickest way to increase the diameter. The wall thickness of your distancers looks uncritical in that context.

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #360 of 2,483
Keep one of these around:
bandage.jpg

tongue.gif

EDIT: A little update. I can change the distance between my ears and the distancers with the modded HD414 pads slightly. The sounds becomes better as the distance increases. I guess it is up to me to tinker some new pads (whenever I have time).
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back