Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Mar 22, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #361 of 2,483
Decisions - decisions - decisions. I just received my set of Grado walnut distancers from RDF. I have several options, looking for suggestions as to which way to go. I have a regular pair of MS-1's, a pair of SR 60's and a partially modded pair of SR 125s. The SR 125's have had wire mesh speaker guards permanently fastened to the inside cups and Nylon encased blue headphone wire (cardas-like). I do NOT have (and cannot currently afford) the pricey GS1000 pads. Sooo, which way do I go for best bang-for-the-buck?

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #362 of 2,483
Let your ears decide. Take a small amount of bluetac or some adhesive tape (just enough to fix and seal) and test things with every proband. You might also try closing some of the drill holes testwise, as this influences the presentation severely.

Have fun, this may take a while!!
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #363 of 2,483
I've just ordered a pair of GS1000 pads from a local "audiophile" store. I can't wait to pop them on and ditch these comfies.

By the way, occasionally I hear a rattle when my MS1 plays very low frequency, will the bluetack fix this? Am I supposed to avoid the holes at the back on the driver when applying?

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #364 of 2,483
Sounds rather like a hair has found a way through the mesh into the driver. Very likely for the very shorthaired among us. I once had to open my MS1 for that reason, that was really frightening. One more reason, besides taming highs, to place a piece of thick felt over the driver mesh.
Quote:

Am I supposed to avoid the holes at the back on the driver when applying?

No idea what you are talking about.
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #365 of 2,483
I see two holes located on the silver part of the driver, positioned at 12 and 6 o' clock. Are those "ventilations"? If you place a thick piece of felt onto the driver, doesn't that muffle the sound quite a bit?

How do I open the MS1 to remove the said piece of hair?

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #368 of 2,483
LOL, I was talking about the other, opposite side of the driver where the sound actually comes out. That is the place that is to be secured by a piece of felt.

Disassembling a MS1 isn't exactly a nice job. You need to be careful and violent simultaneously. First, you have to remove the back cap, and in order to get the glue soft, you have to heat it with a hairdryer from sideways. When you've got it off, you take a fine screwdriver and loosen the driver round its plastic cage until it falls out. Take care not to crumble the diaphragm.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about or if you have 1000 additional questions popping up, you better don't do that job. Try a gentle blow/suck from outside to alter the position of the hair then, and leave the rest untouched.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #370 of 2,483
So I just made my first pair of distancers tonight. I think they look pretty good, maybe just a bit of sanding and better wood of course. If people Canada would like some I can make them easily and ship em out. Just gotta figure out the price of better wood first.

-sc

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #371 of 2,483
Great Thread.

Too bad John Grado is not listening.

Just as I was thinking to buy a GS-1000.
No way, I will mode my 325i.

You guys are going to put him out of business and then
the used stock sets are going to go up and RS-1 drivers will also go up.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #372 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just made my first pair of distancers tonight. I think they look pretty good, maybe just a bit of sanding and better wood of course. If people Canada would like some I can make them easily and ship em out. Just gotta figure out the price of better wood first.

-sc

Hey, what are the size you used for the hole saws? Maybe we can meet up one day and work on them together!
biggrin.gif

I still got a couple pieces of mahogany lying around!

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #373 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, what are the size you used for the hole saws? Maybe we can meet up one day and work on them together!
biggrin.gif

I still got a couple pieces of mahogany lying around!

The diameter of the holes are about 38mm. The diameter of the top lip is about 57mm. Total height is about 15mm.

Also is there such a thing as a wood supplier in the GTA where I could purchase other types of wood (zebrawood, mahohany, walnut).

-sc

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #374 of 2,483
So I finally got my woodied MS Pro/Ulti ready. I can tell you, that was a frightening project. It also took a while to "adjust" the sound after I finished the woodwork. Some cracks & gaps in the rootwood influenced the sound in a quite unpleasant way in the beginning. Quite reliefed that they sing again.
regular_smile .gif

th__P1010049.jpg
th__P1010048-1.jpg
th__P1010044.jpg

_IMG_6441_1000.jpg

_IMG_6469_1000.jpg

_IMG_6451_1000.jpg

_IMG_6475_1000.jpg

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #375 of 2,483
Stunning.
eek.gif

Btw something I never understood. How can you recable wooden Grados as from my understanding they are made out of one piece of wood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back