Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Feb 28, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #332 of 2,483
Has anyone had positive results 1000ing grados? I was thinking about 225s, but was reminded about the disclaimer on the first post. Are the MS-1s and SR225s really that different?

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #333 of 2,483
"1000ing"
tongue.gif
is MS1 & MSPro only IMO...

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #334 of 2,483
think I may try it anyway, as my grados have fallen out of favor to some of my other phones, and the distancers are already paid for. Ill post impressions if everything goes to plan.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #335 of 2,483
I wouldn't use Jumbopads then. You can try the "oldschool Liberator" mod with your Grado: Just the distancers coupled with bowls or reversed 414s. You may experiment with partly closing of the distancer drillings in this case, that would tame highs.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #336 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had positive results 1000ing grados? I was thinking about 225s, but was reminded about the disclaimer on the first post. Are the MS-1s and SR225s really that different?

Lol! 1000ing.
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #337 of 2,483
Inspirated by this forum i made my own distancers. Quite simple actually. I went to the home materials shop and purchased the materials. A 4 cm diameter white pvc tube drain (thickness 1.5 mm) normally used for a toilet sewage (cost 4 Euro) and a 4 cm diameter grey but more thick (3.5 mm) small pvc tube (2 Euro). Then i used the saw by hand and cut the parts out of the tubes for the distancers. 10mm from the white tube and 3 mm from the more thick tube. I used 10 seconds glue to join them together. I made two holes on the side (diameter 2 mm). I mounted the distancers on the ms1 with blue tac and used anti-scratch pads as a an alternative to the vilt on the inside of the distancers. To get a more balanced sound (less agressive highs) i used pads of the Sennheiser px100 to cover the membrane. They fit perfectly on the rim of the distancers. I do not own the big Grado gs1000 yet. I ordered them for a good price (40 Cad, "Planet of Sound") but i still have not heard from them shipping the pads. Anybody can comment on that?
Here some pictures.

MS1000

MS1000

MS1000

For the moment the sound with the standard pads is already an improvement. Eager to hear the final result with the big bowl pads.

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #339 of 2,483
Good idea to utilize such simple materials, I must admit. That was something I also had considered in the beginning, but I finally chose wood due to better grindability and better "glue utilization bandwidth".

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #340 of 2,483
I thought of using pvc tube as well and I am glad it worked out for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

What you really want to do now is go to Thomann Cyberstore and order a Beyer headband and Beyer foam. The foam is perfect for dampening purposes.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #341 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought of using pvc tube as well and I am glad it worked out for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

What you really want to do now is go to Thomann Cyberstore and order a Beyer headband and Beyer foam. The foam is perfect for dampening purposes.

Yes, for comfort reason i can imagine there are better headbands than the standard one on the Alessandro. But could you be more specific what to look for as on the Thomann site they sell a lot of Beyer headphones but i did not see just headbands they offer for sale.

Rob

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #343 of 2,483
Today I tried using other pads with the MS-1 + distancer. I only have three sort of pads: HD414, comfies and GS1k pads.
I tried the comfies and HD414 pads and they were horrible. The distancers really rest on your ears. I have small ears and my ears fel completely into the distancers. Sound was muffled. Wall of sound. Wasn't good.

[size=x-large]However!![/size]

I reversed the HD414 pads and it sounded very good. For those that do not know, the reversed HD414 pads are a bit thicker with a bigger distance between ears and drivers. I also have to say I quarter modded my HD414 pads. The sound was very warm. Bass was nice and slammin'. Overall very nice.
The difference between reversed quarter modded HD414 pads and GS1k pads was a more airy and cold presentation with GS1k pads. Soundstage is also bigger with GS1k pads. I like the GS1k pads better because of tone.
Anyway if you don't feel like buying big and expensive GS1k pads try the modded HD414 pads. They are very cheap and imo all the benefits from '1000ing' are there but with another presentation.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #344 of 2,483
Interesting findings. Gotta take a look in my headphone box if I still have my old 414s...no, looks like I've given them away.

BTW, I took my MS1000 on a longer bicycle tour with me last summer, for that purpose, I also chose bowls instead of the Jumbos. Sound was ok and had more of the stock energy, more kick- and less deep bass than a "real" MS1K. Lightyears less air and soundscape.

Coming home and switching back to Jumbos was a real nice thing, that bowls construct was way too close to the stock PX100ish presentation.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #345 of 2,483
I guess from my findings that the most important thing is that there is some sort of distance between your ears and the distancers. You don't want the distancers to rest on your ears. I am really not kidding about the difference between quarter modded HD414 and reversed quarter modded HD414 pads.
I hope somebody here want to try this as well. Testing it myself is pretty hard because my ears are too small and fall in the distancers as soon as I put them on. Far from optimal. I also don't have bowls to compare.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back