AKG Q701 questions?
May 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #33 of 212
Comparing the E9 with my NFB5 which is an upgrade to the NFB12, its give or take. The E9 makes the Q701 more analytical and revealing, while the NFB5 makes the Q701 more fleshed out and cohesive. Both do great with the Q701, just slightly different.

May 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #34 of 212
Quote:

You're kidding right? Have you even tried the Q701 with the E9? "Lose a heap of detail"? Seriously?
If anything, the E9 actually makes the Q701's soundstage larger.

If you heard it and still think this, then OK, but it seems lately that people often claim the E9 is bad for the Q701 when it's actually quite good for the price. Better than any portable amp that's for sure.
Then there are those who automatically claim the Q701's sound will get ruined due to the E9's 10 ohm or so output. If they actually tried it, they'll know this is NOT the case. Just don't use the small jack.
I've yet to have the larger jack cause any problems with even my low impedance headphones. Even the KRK KNS-8400 and my DJ100 is fine with it.

Apparently the larger jack's output impedance is 10 ohms while the small 3.5mm jack's output impedance is a whopping 43 ohms (!) which explains a lot.

May 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #35 of 212
There is literally no reason to ever touch the small jack. Its terrible for ANY purpose. Unless you have a horrible headphone, the 10ohm jack works fine with any headphone. People overplay what a high output impedance jack does, especially one as good as the E9s.

A big difference between measured and AUDIBLE. People are focusing on what they can't hear.

Hell I paired up the D7000 with its low ohms with the Beyer Headzone with its whopping 100ohm output impedance. The D7000 sounded just fine... if a tad warmer. Still, it wasn't night and day compared to how the D7000 sounds off anything else I've plugged it into.

May 27, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #36 of 212
People overplay what a high output impedance jack does

Can I get an amen?!

The small jack only makes sense if you get hiss or need to reduce the level for over-sensitive cans. The only can I found it to make sense with was the MDR-F1 (there was no hiss, but the level reduction gave the volume control a wider range - this is an extreme situation though (12 ohm/100 dB cans from an amp that can do some 1-2W into 16 ohms)).

May 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #39 of 212
The NFB12 should be a better match than the E9 due to a warmer tone which benefits the Q701.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #41 of 212
I have also decided now that i might be using them with my computer so i may need a headphone amp + DAC combo that i can use with my receiver, and also in regards to my leakage question again, am listening 6 meters away from a closed door... that will bother anyone?

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #42 of 212
I personally thought the E9 sounded bad with the K702. It made them sound muddy and ill defined, plus the soundstage was smaller (but that's good!). I find the smaller soundstage to be more natural as the K701/K702/Q701 sound really wide and not to deep. The E9 squished the width of the stage making the sound more coherent.

I find the Audio-GD offerings better than the FiiO offerings in many ways. They have more current output, more voltage swing, and have a low output impedance so many different types of headphones can be used.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #43 of 212
I personally thought the E9 sounded bad with the K702. It made them sound muddy and ill defined, plus the soundstage was smaller (but that's good!). I find the smaller soundstage to be more natural as the K701/K702/Q701 sound really wide and not to deep. The E9 squished the width of the stage making the sound more coherent.

I find the Audio-GD offerings better than the FiiO offerings in many ways. They have more current output, more voltage swing, and have a low output impedance so many different types of headphones can be used.

For what the E9 is, it's great. But I more or less agree with you - there are incrementally better options, but most of them cost considerably more. If I still had my 701s, I'd be curious about the Asgard with them as well. The best pairing I tried was also the last setup - the full stack with the 200wpc amplifier driving the headphones and a Technics DtoA acting as the preamp and decoder. Good channel separation + volume tracking is really the key. Having "enough" power is beneficial too, but they're not nearly as hard to drive as many people make them out to be (and remember, the E9 will drive something like 1W into them).

6 meters from a closed door (that's like 20 ft?) with the 701s should be no issue unless you listen at hilariously high levels. Like ear-damage high.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #44 of 212
True, but I feel the extra $50 or so towards a Audio-GD amp is better. 

As for listening levels, I listen at around 50-60dB, so it''s a bit loud but not enough to kill your ears.

Quote:
For what the E9 is, it's great. But I more or less agree with you - there are incrementally better options, but most of them cost considerably more. If I still had my 701s, I'd be curious about the Asgard with them as well. The best pairing I tried was also the last setup - the full stack with the 200wpc amplifier driving the headphones and a Technics DtoA acting as the preamp and decoder. Good channel separation + volume tracking is really the key. Having "enough" power is beneficial too, but they're not nearly as hard to drive as many people make them out to be (and remember, the E9 will drive something like 1W into them).
6 meters from a closed door (that's like 20 ft?) with the 701s should be no issue unless you listen at hilariously high levels. Like ear-damage high.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #45 of 212
True, but I feel the extra $50 or so towards a Audio-GD amp is better. 

Oh it's only $50-60? Yeah nevermind what I said then. I was thinking in terms of most decent replacements (O2 aside) being like $200+, and the E9 being around $80 new from Amazon (and maybe half that used).

As for listening levels, I listen at around 50-60dB, so it''s a bit loud but not enough to kill your ears.

Yeah, that's one thing I found better amplifiers to do better - low level listening (especially things like channel tracking). And not just for the K701. The rest was WRT to the OP's question about leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back