AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,192 of 3,394
Yeah it seems like the anniversaries were a prototype of K712. I'm pretty sure this new model doesn't have the memory foam ear pads. Just regular spring foam design + 3db bass. If these sound like anniversaries but are cheaper I'll definitely buy one pair for my wife.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,194 of 3,394
Quote:
Yeah it seems like the anniversaries were a prototype of K712. I'm pretty sure this new model doesn't have the memory foam ear pads. Just regular spring foam design + 3db bass.

Yes. 

I had the feeling they were testing out a new K70x design with the Anniversary edition, then they were going to switch it over to a regular line model after that - and it appears that's what they did.

What makes you say it doesn't have memory foam pads?  I'm guessing that's where their +3db bass comes from, same as the Anniversaries.  The picture looks like memory foam to me.

Quote:
Woooow... But what to do tho. You you buy the Annie's now or wait until the K712 drop with the thicker bottom end.

That legendary AKG detail but finally with the bass level a lot of us have been asking for.

I'm going to guess they sound exactly like the anniversaries, with the same "thicker bottom end."

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,195 of 3,394
Yeah, those look like a recolored Annie.

3db boost is exactly what I feel the Annie has over the standard K702.

I'd jump on the $375 Annie.

There's no doubt in my mind it's a recolored Annie. K712 with a 6db boost over the standard K702 would make that basshead level, which I highly doubt is what AKG is going for. The Annie has plenty of bass while maintaining a linear tonality. They didn't specify what it has a 3db boost over, but it's logical to assume they mean the standard K702, as that is what they normally sell. The Annie was a limited run which lasted about a year (they no longer have it on the website). Doesn't make sense to be a 3db boost over the already bass boosted Annie.

That and I'm positive K712 isn't going hit a cheap price range quite yet.

For $375, The Annie is a STEAL.

Eventually the K712 will hit that price range, but don't bet on it being soon.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,196 of 3,394
Quote:
What makes you say it doesn't have memory foam pads?  I'm guessing that's where their +3db bass comes from, same as the Anniversaries.  The picture looks like memory foam to me.

How can you say that from the picture. All I see is black velour
smile.gif
I'm just thinking they should leave something unique to the anniversaries (other than the color). I was really hoping the differences would be in the drivers this time. Wishful thinking I guess.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,197 of 3,394
That's wishful thinking. Be realistic. The Annie was a prototype K712, I'm sure. New headband and foam pads to be tested out, and it was a success enough for them to mass produce them.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #2,198 of 3,394
Quote:
I call my Annies' "AKG killer"  Because she kills all other AKG models 
biggrin.gif

Hey you're forgetting the K3003's; those are AKG's best product by a long shot in their headphone department. AKG K1000 is special too, but it's a bit outdated.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,199 of 3,394
Have read through... a lot of the 170 pages of this thread and am about to pull the trigger on the K702 65th.  Saw this deal and tried to order, but it's telling me the code is incorrect.  Any thoughts?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,204 of 3,394
Quote:

They're in ears.  Not over the ears...

Hey man, they still produce sound 
tongue_smile.gif
 ... And are the best sounding AKG's I've heard/ one of the best iem's I've heard after the PP6 and SE-5. I like them more than my old LCD3's 
beerchug.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,205 of 3,394
How much do you foresee the Annie's dropping in price due to the release of the K712 PRO? I was ready to pull the trigger on a new pair since the used ones cost as much or more, it seems, but then this is announced and I'm afraid if I purchase them and they don't fit my taste that I will lose a bunch of money if I have to resell them. I also don't know if it's worth it to wait for the K712 PRO to release, instead.  =(

I can't find any info on the initial price of the K712's and the cheapest new pair of Annie's I've found is $350 so it's hard to make a decision based on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back