AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2,161 of 3,395
That's quite a hyperbolic statement. As long as you're not wearing them like some weirdo, they will sound fine. Centralize the drivers like any typical headphone, and they'll perform as good as they can perform.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #2,162 of 3,395
Quote:

That's no coincidence lol. When I had mine I had to get them in the perfect position as well... the sound changed drastically if they weren't on right.

eek.gif

I put mine on everywhich way.  NO change in sound for me.  The Annies are still the Annies...  

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,163 of 3,395
^X2

These aren't Ultrasones, people. The drivers are right smack in the middle of the cups. Put the Annie on like any normal headphone, and it will be fine.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #2,164 of 3,395
Yes, the position of the headphones makes a significant difference, for me at least.  Remember when I used to complain about too much mid-bass?  Well, depending on the position, and yes, we are talking millimeters here, the mid-bass can be too loud or too quiet.

Do you guys clean your inner ears regularly?

And here are several tips from a pro in case my post count here makes me a 'newbie':

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/tipstricks.htm

There's this great Gary Busey quote from 'Point Break'.  Probably can find it on YouTube.

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,165 of 3,395
I don't hear the sound change much with AKGs based on position, no different than other headphones I've used.  They're certainly not finicky about placement IMO.

Most headphone will sound different if you push them forward and down compared to directly in your ears.  That's sort of how Ultrasone positions their drivers (forward and down).

The MDR-F1s change quite a lot depending on the position.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,166 of 3,395
I can certainly change the sound to worse by changing the headphone position. This is, however, if the position is really dumb like ears full front, back, up or down. Just normally ears in the middle and the sound is great. I think your head size affects how your ears settle in the cups. I also need to adjust the position when the cups run down a bit. The bumbs in the non anniversary model headband could allow better fit for those with small head (assuming that the auto adjust headband design is otherwise similar between these models)? I guess the auto adjust design doesn't guarantee perfect fit for everybody. If you get good natural ear positioning then it's good for you. For me the strong clamping helps keeping the sweet position.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #2,167 of 3,395
In my experience, headphone position doesn't affect me that much. It doesn't give me a major change in sound.

Also I bought a M-Stage on ebay hoping that will work fine with these headphones. I don't have any SE amps so I bought that since I have wanted that amp for a while. Also the only thing I have now is my Anedio D1 and I don't like changing the volume if I want to use a different headphone.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2,168 of 3,395
Quote:
In my experience, headphone position doesn't affect me that much. It doesn't give me a major change in sound.

Also I bought a M-Stage on ebay hoping that will work fine with these headphones. I don't have any SE amps so I bought that since I have wanted that amp for a while. Also the only thing I have now is my Anedio D1 and I don't like changing the volume if I want to use a different headphone.

raw

You bought a new amp instead of getting the headphones re cabled?  

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,169 of 3,395
Quote:

raw

Looks nice! I would say the best K702 annies photo so far!

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,171 of 3,395
Quote:

raw

LOL

Recables hurt resale value and the amp wasn't too expensive. I'm actually very happy with the HE6 and HD800 rigs I have now and rather not pay too much for an improvement.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #2,173 of 3,395
Quote:

raw

Your killing me on the jealousy factor between this and the Coloware HD800 
tongue.gif
  Looking forward to reading about how they sound balanced out of the GS-X Mk2.  I expect there would be a noticeable improvement.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2,174 of 3,395
Quote:
Your killing me on the jealousy factor between this and the Coloware HD800 
tongue.gif
  Looking forward to reading about how they sound balanced out of the GS-X Mk2.  I expect there would be a noticeable improvement.

I can tell you right now.  I like them a lot.  Better than the other AKGs I had.  K701, K601 and the Q701..  But not in the same class as the HD800s 
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2,175 of 3,395
Quote:

I can tell you right now.  I like them a lot.  Better than the other AKGs I had.  K701, K601 and the Q701..  But not in the same class as the HD800s 
biggrin.gif

Well I would certainly hope not 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I'll just keep dreaming that one day AKG will release a true flagship that will compete with the HD800.  They certainly have no qualms with releasing a $1300 IEM... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back