AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #2,221 of 3,395
Quote:

Get HD800... Cannot imagine more versatile headphones - extreme comfort, neutrality, soundstage, imaging, instrument separation... What is there not to like?

I told exactly this to Lugbug1... He bought them... And immediately understood ,-) (and sold LCD-2 as well as I did)

(yes, the bass of HD800 bests the bass of LCD-2 IMHO)

Seconded, I owned the K702 65th and while the K702 65th is excellent in it's price bracket, the HD800 is really in another league.  I'd suggest looking for used though unless you just want new, and if your willing to pay new retail, you could just go through colorware to customize for you and avoid the cheap paint chipping.

Quote:

Well, there is a lot not to like,

1. The the peak in the treble.
2. Fix imaging that already have mentioned here.
3. I need to check them more... but I suspect there is a sub bass distortion problems under 20hz.
4. I prefer the 702s sound stage and the instrument separation.
5. The cheap silver color wear off.
6. Made in china, glued in Germany.
7. Overpriced!

1. Can be tamed with EQ if your not opposed to it, as well as easy damping mods.  (I'm not a fan of tweaking FR by gear choice, or at least can't afford that route)  I try to choose gear by non FR characteristics like detail, soundstage, transparency, etc.

2. I think the HD800 imaging is more sensitive to changes in source and will more accurately reflect the upstream equipment.  Even just adding my Concero as a converter to my Nuwave vs stock noticeably improves the imaging.

3. I'm fairly certain the HD800 probably has the lowest distortion bass among dynamic phones.  If anything this is actually the fatal flaw of the x70x series given their low power handling and moderately low efficiency (dynamic bass peaks require exponentially more current)

4.  To each his own I suppose 
wink.gif

5.  Can't argue this, the paint is certainly cheap given the price.

6.  I'll have to research this, though possible, if your referring to individual components, hopefully the drivers are at least assembled in Germany.

7. True statement, although as much as I hate to admit, it's "worth the money" relative to similarly priced competition.

All that being said, I still highly recommend the K702-65th but you may have the "what could have been" bug bite you like me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2,222 of 3,395
Quote:

2. I think the HD800 imaging is more sensitive to changes in source and will more accurately reflect the upstream equipment.  Even just adding my Concero as a converter to my Nuwave vs stock noticeably improves the imaging.

Yes, the imaging ability of HD800 very depends on your source... I have a DAC with an option to use different Oversampling and Pulse response setting and all these various filter combinations influence soundstage and imaging. It seems once you influence the frequencies, you influence the imaging ability as well.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,223 of 3,395
Quote:
All that being said, I still highly recommend the K702-65th but you may have the "what could have been" bug bite you like me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol, I had that very same bug when I had the Annies in my hands.

That's why when I had to return the Annies, I was a little happy... because I had the option of waiting and getting the HD800 instead. But the current discounted price on the Annies is real tempting!

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,224 of 3,395
1. With more precise SS amps the treble pick is notable and at some level the peak get annoying especially with electronic music. At the same loudness level the K702 treble is not piercing as the 800s.

2. The 800s imaging sound the same with all music genres, like was recorded in the same studio with the same mics set up and positions.I found the 702s to have a better sound stage axis, with a rounded sound sphere and better sound depth.

3. I never was so much interested in the LCD-2, especially after I saw the FR graphs.I'm a studio guy, and I prefer as flat sound as possible.Even with the 800s I found them to be hyped in the sub and treble area on pro SS systems.

For the last 5 years I'm waiting for Sennheiser to release the studio version of the 800s, but for now this looks like will never going to happen.

4. Yes, of course is a matter of preference, or needs. 

6. The only hps they easily beat is the HD-650.

With a darker/tube, or cheap SS system the 800s will do better. But then they'll be more smile shape EQ and not be so balanced as the K702. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #2,225 of 3,395
Aren't the Annies more versatile in regards to music genre compared to the HD800?

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #2,226 of 3,395
This is kinda nuts comparing the HD800 and K702.65.  More versatile?  I just got in the K702.65s and I honestly couldn't listen more than a few minutes.  There is no clarity at all, and the forward mids sound like a mixing error.

The HD800s aren't perfect but are way better than the K702.65s.  The scale is larger in a realistic sense, not with artificially forward mids, and the detail is lightyears better across the board.  

I think the Q701 is a better headphone than the Annies.  Loose in and light in the bass but better and more coherent mids and highs.

(edit** In the interest of quelling the perception of my post as trolling I think I should have said...  

I find that they lack clarity in most registers in comparison to the Q701s.  It's as if some harmonics are overly tamed and I am left feeling like the sound is a little unnatural and suppressed.  If this is what "smooth" means then I guess that's not my taste.  I tend to listen to small ensemble classical and female vocal type stuff but was looking for an all rounder but feel that the improved bass response over the Q701s is at a sacrifice to clarity of the Qs.

My comment about "more than a few minutes" was hyperbole.  I have several tried and true tracks that I use and found that I couldn't accept their presentation for my tastes and preferences)

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #2,227 of 3,395
Yup. The Annie is so muddy and undetailed, its can't compare to a headphone that costs nearly 3x the price. Nope.

Because apparently warmer headphones are all inferior to brighter ones. Yup.

Don't even bother with the HD650 and LCD2 if the Annie is soooo undetailed for you.

I love how he listened for a few minutes and immediately knew that they couldn't compare to a headphone with a very different signature and presentation.

Why do people bother? Apparently some people don't understand the meaning on letting your ears adjust for the difference in tonality when coming off something brighter/warmer.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #2,228 of 3,395
Quote:
This is kinda nuts comparing the HD800 and K702.65.  More versatile?  I just got in the K702.65s and I honestly couldn't listen more than a few minutes.  There is no clarity at all, and the forward mids sound like a mixing error.
The HD800s aren't perfect but are way better than the K702.65s.  The scale is larger in a realistic sense, not with artificially forward mids, and the detail is lightyears better across the board.  There is a weird upper bass/lower mids range band in the HD800s that is a little smeared (something I find in the Sennheiser brand) but still, another league.

I think the Q701 is a better headphone than the Annies.  Loose in and light in the bass but better and more coherent mids and highs.

People aren't going to take kindly to your comments..... There are a few, umm how to describe them......   fanboys around here. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2,229 of 3,395
I don't see the point in comparing the Annies and the HD800s either as they are clearly not in the same market.

Sarcasm aside, I don't think the HD800 is the end all.  It's a little too audiophile for me to be the end and I think I prefer the T1.  

But in a closer comparison I was disappointed in the K702.65 vs the Q701s.  

**edit for last comment**
Those fanboys got me excited about the Annies and when they finally got here they were a big disappointment so I was a little miffed.  There's a point where people can talk themselves into thinking what they have or like is better than something else but that doesn't make it true.
Looking at the lists above comparing the HD800s to the Annies and seeing something like paint chipping, though a fault to be sure, but it seeming to have bearing on the headphone's quality as a sound transducer..  I'm not saying that that is specifically implied in this case but that's how fanboy'ism gains traction and the non sequiturs fly.  People complain about the damn box things come in.  If it doesn't sound good then it's first function as a headphone is not fulfilled.    

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2,230 of 3,395
Im a fanboy, but I can see when someone is just blatantly trolling.

1. Comparing a $400 headphone to a headphone worth 3x as much
2. Using them for a few minutes, automatically coming with the conclusion that it's crap
3. Comparing a warm/dark headphone with a neutral to bright headphone, especially withou giving himself time to adjust to the tonality difference. It's common sense that going from a dark to bright headphone and vice versa is a stupid mistake when you don't give yourself time to adjust.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #2,231 of 3,395
Hrmm so I just got semi-interested in this headphone since it was mentioned a lot in the new K712 thread. How different-sounding is it compared to the old K701 or K702? I can't believe there are people saying they think it's better than the HE-400, or LCD-2 even - wow, seriously? The "Annie" is really that good? I'm a little skeptical only because I previously owned both the K701 and K702 which I didn't think were that good, and I heard them out of above-average amps & sources too (mostly HeadAmp & various tube amps and Arcam-level or better CDPs).

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #2,232 of 3,395
Quote:
The HD800s aren't perfect but are way better than the K702.65s.  The scale is larger in a realistic sense, not with artificially forward mids, and the detail is lightyears better across the board.  There is a weird upper bass/lower mids range band in the HD800s that is a little smeared (something I find in the Sennheiser brand) but still, another league.

Why don't you post this to your sales thread. Seems like a decent marketing speech :D

Quote:

People aren't going to take kindly to your comments..... There are a few, umm how to describe them......   fanboys around here. 

This thread has anniversary fanboys like me, haters and HD800 fanboys. Some people just get some weird satisfaction by trolling perfectly good products. Also too much HD800 talk in here imo.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #2,233 of 3,395
Quote:
Hrmm so I just got semi-interested in this headphone since it was mentioned a lot in the new K712 thread. How different-sounding is it compared to the old K701 or K702? I can't believe there are people saying they think it's better than the HE-400, or LCD-2 even - wow, seriously? The "Annie" is really that good? I'm a little skeptical only because I previously owned both the K701 and K702 which I didn't think were that good, and I heard them out of above-average amps & sources too (mostly HeadAmp & various tube amps and Arcam-level or better CDPs).

Ummm  summary of this giant thread:

K702 65th anniversary is the Q701 with different set of pads (as far as sound goes). Looks like the pads are softer and may create a steeper angle interface with the ear both of which increase bass and midrange. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2,234 of 3,395
Quote:

Why don't you post this to your sales thread. Seems like a decent marketing speech :D

This thread has anniversary fanboys like me, haters and HD800 fanboys. Some people just get some weird satisfaction by trolling perfectly good products. Also too much HD800 talk in here imo.

Ha... 

Yes, it's true and it's good that we all like different things.  Sorry to rant negatively but the comparisons and the stances taken put my back up.  Didn't intend it as trolling but sometimes there needs to be a little balance.  This thread got me to buy these and it seems that posting negative results is a little shunned and one sided.   I think it would be trolling if this were and "Appreciation" thread, not just an open thread of impressions.  

I'm happy for you that you like them. They may not be for me but if they are for you then fill yer boots, as they say.

(for the record, I'm no HD800 fanboy)

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,235 of 3,395
Quote:
Im a fanboy, but I can see when someone is just blatantly trolling.

1. Comparing a $400 headphone to a headphone worth 3x as much
2. Using them for a few minutes, automatically coming with the conclusion that it's crap
3. Comparing a warm/dark headphone with a neutral to bright headphone, especially withou giving himself time to adjust to the tonality difference. It's common sense that going from a dark to bright headphone and vice versa is a stupid mistake when you don't give yourself time to adjust.

Didn't see this.

1. I wasn't trolling and I didn't start the Stupid HD800 comparisons, they just were that, Stupid and I felt I had to point it out.

2. I don't like them.  I can't hear things I know I should hear and I want to hear.  Just clean details of voices and instruments.  I've listened to a lot of audio products and play several instruments and coloration is coloration no matter how long I take to adjust.    Plain and simple is that I don't like them and I don't think that my reasons are invalid. 

3. I didn't start the comparison, just got fed up with some of the responses.  

Like I said, if you like them great.  This is not an "appreciation" thread by title so why shouldn't it contain different impressions?  Perhaps my language was a little too emotive in my first comments and again for that I apologize.

I have added this edit to my original post that may be more "subjectively objective"

(edit** In the interest of quelling the perception of my post as trolling I think I should have said...  

I find that they lack clarity in most registers in comparison to the Q701s.  It's as if some harmonics are overly tamed and I am left feeling like the sound is a little unnatural and suppressed.  If this is what "smooth" means then I guess that's not my taste.  I tend to listen to small ensemble classical and female vocal type stuff but was looking for an all rounder but feel that the much improved bass response over the Q701s is at a sacrifice to clarity of the Qs.

My comment about "more than a few minutes" was hyperbole.  I have several tried and true tracks that I use and found that I couldn't accept their presentation for my tastes and preferences)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back