AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #2,206 of 3,395
How much do you foresee the Annie's dropping in price due to the release of the K712 PRO? I was ready to pull the trigger on a new pair since the used ones cost as much or more, it seems, but then this is announced and I'm afraid if I purchase them and they don't fit my taste that I will lose a bunch of money if I have to resell them. I also don't know if it's worth it to wait for the K712 PRO to release, instead.  =(

I can't find any info on the initial price of the K712's and the cheapest new pair of Annie's I've found is $350 so it's hard to make a decision based on that.
The pair that I just received was #2883 out of 3000. They won't be around long enough to drop in price for new sets.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2,207 of 3,395
Quote:
How much do you foresee the Annie's dropping in price due to the release of the K712 PRO? I was ready to pull the trigger on a new pair since the used ones cost as much or more, it seems, but then this is announced and I'm afraid if I purchase them and they don't fit my taste that I will lose a bunch of money if I have to resell them. I also don't know if it's worth it to wait for the K712 PRO to release, instead.  =(

I can't find any info on the initial price of the K712's and the cheapest new pair of Annie's I've found is $350 so it's hard to make a decision based on that.

I would expect prices to drop down with the release. The big reason to buy the 'anniversary edition' was the fact that is was a 'limited run' of this headphone. Since there will be a whole line coming out that are identical except the plastic coloring, I would personally hold off until the K712 is out and grab that.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,208 of 3,395
I doubt that. If it's limited in color scheme, it can drive prices up, especially once they get rare. Still, I don't see how waiting out for the K712 would be better than getting the Annie at $350. I HIGHLY doubt the K712 will be cheaper than that for a good while. Maybe the same price. So you'd just be getting a different color of the same headphone, and judging by what people are saying, the orange is inferior to the blue/gunmetal combo.

There's no reason to wait for the K712 unless you actually think its gonna be significantly cheaper than $350-375. I say, good luck.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #2,209 of 3,395
Don't know when the K712 is coming out (it could be several months), but I expect once released they will stay at MSRP for a while before dropping.  So it could be a long time before they reach the current price that the Anniversaries are selling for right now (the ones on sale).

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2,210 of 3,395
Quote:

Where can you get them for $350 new?

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #2,211 of 3,395
Quote:
That's wishful thinking. Be realistic. The Annie was a prototype K712, I'm sure. New headband and foam pads to be tested out, and it was a success enough for them to mass produce them.

You're probably right. Well at least the blue color scheme is better looking imo.

Quote:
The pair that I just received was #2883 out of 3000. They won't be around long enough to drop in price for new sets.

Wow that's by far the highest number I've heard of yet. It seems they have already released all 3000 pairs to retailers. Maybe this was their cue to introduce K712?

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #2,212 of 3,395
Quote:
I doubt that. If it's limited in color scheme, it can drive prices up, especially once they get rare. Still, I don't see how waiting out for the K712 would be better than getting the Annie at $350. I HIGHLY doubt the K712 will be cheaper than that for a good while. Maybe the same price. So you'd just be getting a different color of the same headphone, and judging by what people are saying, the orange is inferior to the blue/gunmetal combo.

There's no reason to wait for the K712 unless you actually think its gonna be significantly cheaper than $350-375. I say, good luck.

This all and the rest of your posts are just your personal opinion... I doubt you have anything in common with AKG's engineers and I would seriously stop making such s strong assumptions, like the one highlighted above and anothers.

I say that we should wait until everything is clear... Annies are still going to be around (at least here on head-fi, you can be sure that there will be many people selling them in order to fund their K712 purchase), as well as the new K712 pro which are very unlikely going to be worse. Actually, they could very well be even better. Of course, if people have enough funds, buy K702 Anniversary right now, wait for K712 and buy them as well, then sell the one that is worse.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2,213 of 3,395
And again I say to you, this is a logical assumption. The other, isnt. But again I say, good luck waiting. When the obvious happens, I wont say I told you so.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,214 of 3,395
Wow those K712's look nice with that copper-orange. I also like the fact that its got the old AKG logo on the headband pin rather than just "AKG" like on my annies. I guess I can sell my annies and just get those when they're released. Specifications are the same, so I'm sure it's the same headphone altogether.
Price may be higher though, so people should put their hands on annies if they really want the k70x series for a good price. Luckily I work in Hi-Fi retail 
smily_headphones1.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,215 of 3,395
AKG k 712 pro MRSP 469 € in Germany comes with carrying bag and two cables. 3 m straight, 5 m coiled. No word about the earpads foam quality, but one video says something about changeable pads one sort made of velour and one made of leather.
AKG K 612 MRSP 179 € also in Germany.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,216 of 3,395
That Annie deal is looking real good right now. Already have experience with them and I really liked them. Returned my 1st pair to Amazon due to the rattling issue I was having. I had bought them at the full price of $499 at the time.

The deal from RazorDog is $375, correct? Real tempting to get a 2nd pair and have them right now.

Another option is waiting a bit longer to save up and get the HD800's
L3000.gif

Can't decide.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,218 of 3,395
Quote:
That Annie deal is looking real good right now. Already have experience with them and I really liked them. Returned my 1st pair to Amazon due to the rattling issue I was having. I had bought them at the full price of $499 at the time.

The deal from RazorDog is $375, correct? Real tempting to get a 2nd pair and have them right now.

Another option is waiting a bit longer to save up and get the HD800's
L3000.gif

Can't decide.

Get HD800... Cannot imagine more versatile headphones - extreme comfort, neutrality, soundstage, imaging, instrument separation... What is there not to like?

I told exactly this to Lugbug1... He bought them... And immediately understood ,-) (and sold LCD-2 as well as I did)

(yes, the bass of HD800 bests the bass of LCD-2 IMHO)

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,219 of 3,395
Quote:

Get HD800... Cannot imagine more versatile headphones - extreme comfort, neutrality, soundstage, imaging, instrument separation... What is there not to like?

I told exactly this to Lugbug1... He bought them... And immediately understood ,-) (and sold LCD-2 as well as I did)

(yes, the bass of HD800 bests the bass of LCD-2 IMHO)

Well, there is a lot not to like,

1. The the peak in the treble.
2. Fix imaging that already have mentioned here.
3. I need to check them more... but I suspect there is a sub bass distortion problems under 20hz.
4. I prefer the 702s sound stage and the instrument separation.
5. The cheap silver color wear off.
6. Made in china, glued in Germany.
7. Overpriced!

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,220 of 3,395
Quote:

Well, there is a lot not to like,

1. The the peak in the treble.
2. Fix imaging that already have mentioned here.
3. I need to check them more... but I suspect there is a sub bass distortion problems under 20hz.
4. I prefer the 702s sound stage and the instrument separation.
5. The cheap silver color wear off.
6. Made in china, glued in Germany.
7. Overpriced!

1) I agree that this could be a problem for some... That said, HD800 are for me extremely comfortable to listen even in treble frequencies (and I occasionally got tired from both D7000 and LCD-2, strange). I consider myself to be quite sensitive, I have a good young hearing...

2) What is wrong with the imaging? It's most probably the best available on the market today...

3) HD800 are more capable of rendering realistic bass guitar than LCD-2... That must say something.

4) That's a matter of preference, of course.

5) I have zero problem with that, mine are completely without any scratches and I use them daily... One just has to take care about those brilliant headphones :)

6) They easily beat many "made in US/Germany/whatever" products so what's wrong about it?

7) Yes, they are.

Should I start a very long list of what's great about them? ,-) Or maybe start even longer list about what is not right about K70x headphones? Every pair has its advantages and disadvantages... That said, I barely see anything wrong with HD800, IMHO of course. Even the price seems right as they really offer a unique experience that you cannot achieve with your ordinary audiophile headphone.

If I knew how good they are, I would skip any other flagship and go straight for them... The soundstage and everything... These are just not an ordinary headphones. A similar case as with K1000 I would say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back