AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,251 of 3,395
I'm going to have to give these some time again as my M-Stage amp came in. However the squeaking probably won't stop so not much can be done about that. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2,252 of 3,395
Quote:
Hrmm so I just got semi-interested in this headphone since it was mentioned a lot in the new K712 thread. How different-sounding is it compared to the old K701 or K702? I can't believe there are people saying they think it's better than the HE-400, or LCD-2 even - wow, seriously? The "Annie" is really that good? I'm a little skeptical only because I previously owned both the K701 and K702 which I didn't think were that good, and I heard them out of above-average amps & sources too (mostly HeadAmp & various tube amps and Arcam-level or better CDPs).

Compared to the K701 I once owned I would say the K702 65th has smoother, less airy treble and a significantly improved bass response though not necessarily the cleanest but good in it's class.  For my preference, I feel it corrects a lot of what I didn't like about the K701.  I haven't heard the HE-400 to compare but I would say it's more well rounded than LCD-2 when taking into account soundstage and comfort though not totally better sounding unless soundstage is very important to you.  

It's great in it's price class but not a giant killer.  The AD2KX comes much closer to that aside from it's too close, grado like soundstage at times.  The weird thing about the K702-65th though, is it has a way of making male vocals sound better than probably any headphone I've owned.  It's probably just more forward in that frequency range I'm guessing.

FWIW though, When forced to choose between keeping the AD2KX and K702-65th I chose to sell the K702-65th.  Though I eventually also sold the AD2KX to fund my HD800 purchase which I like better than both of those, LCD-2, T1, and just barely more than HE-6.  I actually decided to try the AD2KX based on your info about the AD2K.  I really liked it and didn't want to sell but I wanted the HD800 more.  I'd like to get the AD2KX again one day.  And maybe the K712 eventually if I've just got money to burn.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2,253 of 3,395
Does anyone here that like them have a smaller head or very little clamping force?
One idea I had was that the extra bass is a combination of not just the memory foam but also your ears being closer to the driver. This is how my DJ100 gets bassier. You can sort of tune the sound by putting more distance between the driver and your ear. More air between your ears and the driver and you get more treble (on the DJ100) and less warmth and bass.

Maybe this is also why the K601 seems to have more bass than the K702? Those pads are flat.

If the K712 is $500 I will laugh...(sorry, party pooper mode there for a sec)

Sorry guys, but I still don't get what all the fuss is with the 65th. I like it, but..oh nevermind. Q701 still sounds smoother to me on almost everything. I think due to the angled pads.

Best advice I could give is to buy the 65th or Q701 based on sound signature and music preferences. Basically they're just like different flavors of a similar sound like the K702, K601 etc. I don't think there really is any "Best" version of the X70X.

I've been listening to the 65th a lot lately. I actually wish I could get even MORE bass (including low-bass) but still retain the nice upper mids. Obviously the treble would go south. Totally removing the grill helps a little.

EDIT:

Oh yeah.. if you use a full sized CD player to desktop amp the differences are even MORE subtle. I bought an old Marantz cd player for $10 and it sounds pretty good with the "Annie". It also seems my Magni doesn't seem to be as revealing of source as my Micro amp.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #2,254 of 3,395
The Annie is for anyone who has a problem with the K/Q70x's and feels they have these issues:

Comfort
Lack of bass
Upper mid fatigue
Thinness in body
Overall tonality

If you have a problem with any of these, then get the Annie. If you like the K/Q just as they are, not wanting anything else, then stick with those.

There are plenty of people who had a combination of these problems, so the Annie was an improvement.

We all have our own preferences.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,255 of 3,395
Quote:

Well, there is a lot not to like,

6. Made in china, glued in Germany.

Every single component is crafted in Germany, from the leona plastic molds to the material driver covers, cables, headband, packaging. Nothing is made in China, which is relieving (Unless we're taking HiFiMAN crafted in China 
cool.gif
)

K70x series are more of a assembled in Austria with chinese parts; but at its price range its very understandable and worth it.

Here's how they make the k701: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbsQRaQD6A

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #2,256 of 3,395
Quote:
Does anyone here that like them have a smaller head or very little clamping force?

Yes to both of those.

If you don't like them, that's OK.  They're just a warmer variation on the Q701s sound.  I LOVE the Q701 sound, but it's also fun to listen to the warmer pad-mod that is the Anniversary as well.  I switch back and forth between them depending on which I'm in the mood for.

AKG has mine right now though... 
frown.gif

I should send them a email probe to get them moving on fixing and returning them.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,257 of 3,395
Same here. I LOVE the Q701. Its a solid headphone. Not very much to hate, IMHO. All I honestly wanted from it was more bass. If that's all the Annie did, I wouldhave been quite happy. But the Annie not only adds bass, but it adds body and warmth overall, which gives it an even more organic tone to it, which was really pleasing.

That's not for everyone, I get it. The Q701 is more airy due to it not being as thick sounding and not having the same quantity of bass. There are tradeoffs to everything in headphones. Pick your poison. Its basically like co paring a KSC75 to a KSC35, or HD600 to an HD650. Not everyone wants the same thing.

My only main gripe with the Q701 aside from it's bass, is that it's upper mids can be faiguing at times, though not as bad as the ooooold K701 which was pretty fatiguing. Those old pads were most likely the culprit.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2,258 of 3,395
I have to say that the K702 65th sounds pretty good (and addicting) when you make it closed. Someone try it already dagnabbit.
Don't use duck tape..I mean unless you want. It's reversible if you use some clear packaging tape. Don't use anything too sticky.
Just close off the outside (inner) grill. Don't use your hands silly.

It will be a good experiment for those that think the outer grill doesn't make much difference.

The resulting mids are closer to those of the K400. Sound clarity seems to improve too, which is weird.

I've had the 65th on my head with this for the last 2 hours, which is a record. Not kidding.

FYI all the older AKG models (K400, K500 etc) had no outer grill and were all closed off.

BTW I still need to figure out why on earth the K400 with 65th pads is warmer/bassier than the 65th. This makes zero sense since the stock K400 is close to being bass light. It has even less bass than the K702.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,259 of 3,395
Fighting the urge to try these. I recently discovered the q701 after years of hd650 usage and am loving them. The big question I have for the Annie is will it fill the middle ground between the two phones and make me a one headphone guy?

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,260 of 3,395
It's the perfect bridge between the HD650 and Q701, actually, lol.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #2,261 of 3,395
Thanks for the responses elwappo99 and JWahl, they have me considering purchasing an Annie a little more now.

Quote:
The Annie is for anyone who has a problem with the K/Q70x's and feels they have these issues:

Comfort
Lack of bass
Upper mid fatigue
Thinness in body
Overall tonality

That list is even more fuel for my purchase.
tongue.gif
I never liked any of those aspects with the K70x that I previously owned.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #2,262 of 3,395
Quote:

Comfort
Lack of bass
Upper mid fatigue
Thinness in body
Overall tonality

If you have a problem with any of these, then get the Annie. If you like the K/Q just as they are, not wanting anything else, then stick with those.

There are plenty of people who had a combination of these problems, so the Annie was an improvement.

We all have our own preferences.

What's interesting is that the Q701 fixed all those for me compared to the K702 (except for comfort obviously). I guess the Annie takes all that one step further. The Q701 might not be a dramatic enough improvement for some. The Q701 for me never lacks bass and is never thin sounding unless it's the actual recording's fault. That's even on a very transparent setup. The bass is a bit weird because there is really not much bass impact just like on the KRKs and HD-650.

For me the K702 has a touch of warmth compared to the DT-880. The Q701 is warm and the Annie is even warmer. Actually for those that generally like a warm headphone like the usual Sennheiser, the Q701 might not be warm enough for them. My HD-650 is only a tad warmer though. The HD-650 seems to add warmth to almost everything. The Q701..not so much.

BTW I'm surprised there hasn't been more reviews of this yet. Only a few...

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,263 of 3,395
Apr 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #2,264 of 3,395
Regarding the recent price discussion on the K712: the european list prices I read support MLEs position: the K712 is stated as €670,-, the K612 is given as €269,-

So the K712 is priced even a bit above the K702AEs list price of €599,-
So in the long run the K712 might drop below the AE (in case they are really limited and start to vanish), but the seem to start quite a bit above given the current retail prices on the AE.

Source (in german): http://www.sempre-audio.at/goto.id.3108.htm

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #2,265 of 3,395
We'll have to wait and see what they cost once they arrive in the states, and follow their price drops. Im pretty sure it will hit realistic levels sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back