AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #2,281 of 3,394
Quote:
If they do don't forget to calculate shipping costs as well as import tax... and in Austria at least import tax is calculated based upon item value+shipping. Don't know if thats worth the hassle... ymmv though.

Import tax etc. (excluding shipping cost) should be calculated independently on the seller - it's not a responsibility of Razordog. The seller should at best include a receipt or anything that could be helpful in order to calculate taxes (it must be visible enough though, therefore it's hard to do). That said, even if it is not supplied, customs should ask you personally to send them reliable info about (like paypal screenshot showing the payment or similar).

In my country, our national post office offers to take care of this (you don't have to be personally present during the process of custom clearance).

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #2,282 of 3,394
Really interested in the inevitable Annie vs HE500 comparison. I have a feeling they will be similar in tonality, though the HE500 has more treble in the graphs.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #2,283 of 3,394
Quote:

Import tax etc. (excluding shipping cost) should be calculated independently on the seller - it's not a responsibility of Razordog. The seller should at best include a receipt or anything that could be helpful in order to calculate taxes (it must be visible enough though, therefore it's hard to do). That said, even if it is not supplied, customs should ask you personally to send them reliable info about (like paypal screenshot showing the payment or similar).

In my country, our national post office offers to take care of this (you don't have to be personally present during the process of custom clearance).

No, I meant josefka will have to worry about that (or at least have to pay the fees :wink:
razordog will only have to declare the value, thats right.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2,285 of 3,394
Quote:
Really interested in the inevitable Annie vs HE500 comparison. I have a feeling they will be similar in tonality, though the HE500 has more treble in the graphs.

Are there any K702 Anniversary graphs available? Interested to have a look...

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #2,287 of 3,394
Quote:
I ended up deciding to buy my own set of the Annie today from RazorDog since they had the $375 deal still going (which I'm guessing was a good deal?). They better not let me down after all the praise I've read about them!
tongue.gif

I bought my first K701 just about exactly 7 years ago on 4/11/06 (which was responsible for sparking all of this headphone madness in the first place), I thought it was funny & interesting that I've circled back around with the Annie 7 years later.

I'm quite interested in knowing how they compare to the AD2000 (even though they seem pretty dissimilar)!

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,288 of 3,394
Quote:
I'll post my impressions once I get a little more time with them.  Playing with my new setup atm too!

HE-500 vs K702 Anniversary? Definitely interested!

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,289 of 3,394
You know what's really extremely annoying? Having a minor issue with your setup and not realizing it right away. It seems like i've been fighting with my stupid setup for the last two weeks. I thought it was fixed.

I kept getting really excessively forward lower mids and too much mid-bass and all sorts of randomly weird problems. This might explain issue with treble or upper mids. Remember how I said that my Anniversary seems to sound different all the time?

Apparently my stupid DAC or crappy laptop USB ports do not like 6 foot USB cables. Why? No clue. I had a 6' USB cable going to my desktop and then a shorter one going to my DAC from a powered USB hub. I thought it was a bad cable and it was temporarily fixed or so I thought.

So right now I have a 1 foot cable going from my hub and a short 3' one going from my hub to DAC.

I'm going to blame it on crappy USB ports or some weird issue with my Modi. There should be no difference between a 6' cable and a 3' one. Maybe ultra low quality cables? Highly unlikely right?

What gave me a clue is that for the last week i've been switching between the Annie, HD-560 and Q701 using my Magni and various CD players.
Last night I was comparing some annoying Jpop on the Q701 vs Annie and it definitely seemed fuller and smoother on the Annie. It sort of sounds just like an HD-650 type of coloration where it takes the edge off some harsh music. Sort of.

In some music, female vocals sound a tad more distant on the Annie, but it's not that bad at all. It really depends on the recording. I do kind of like the slight forwardness of female vocals on the Q701.

The only major thing that sticks out to me easily is how fuller sounding the Annie is. It's not like switching from the Q701 to the HD-650 though. It also depends of course on the recording.

Another strange thing is that on my Magni it's a lot harder to hear the differences between the two. On my Headroom Micro it's a lot easier. Something weird about the bass on the Magni and I can't explain it. I should have kept the Fiio E9 despite being less transparent.

So anyway, the Annie is sounding pretty good now. Not a dramatic change, but this stupid USB nonsense has made me not want to post anything lately. It seems like the differences are now a little more apparent. I still think that if someone hates the Q701 they probably won't like the Annie all that much more.

I think for me the extra fullness is nice, but I think the biggest improvement is that due to the flat pads, there is better imaging and some subtle detail is easier to spot. Oh yeah, when you switch to the Q701 you have to crank up the volume too!

BTW I think some songs will sound exactly the same on the Annie and Q701. Mostly really awful recordings. I think this has been pointed out before. I have some songs that seems to have almost non-existent bass and warmth.

Another weird thing...there are some songs that will sound more harsh on the Annie (but not on the Q701) and vice versa. I guess it depends on what frequencies are elevated in the recording. The Annie seems to have slightly more forward low mids. With the Q701 it's upper mids.

Oh yeah..i've also found the old Sega Dreamcast to sound pretty good with the 65th. It has a Burr-Brown DAC in it. I must have tried about 5 different full sized CD players lately. My favorite is actually my Sony S580 blu-ray player. It's nice and full sounding. My Oppo units sound awful IMO.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,291 of 3,394
Quote:
I know this is the K702 65th Anniversary thread but I came across the Youtube review of the K702 and is too funny and need to share with all of you. 
size]

Way too much specification and terminology-dropping ("complete lack of transient intermodulation distortion" plus quoting all the AKG marketing specs). 

But, his facial expressions were funny after a while.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,292 of 3,394
This guy made me order my K 702 three weeks ago. He also made me buy that vintage Dire Straits album he is listeninig to. Very nice.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,294 of 3,394
Why?

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,295 of 3,394
Had the HD 650. Even though it is a very good headphone, it never could reveal small details as much as the K 702 can. But that is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back