AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 26, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #2,611 of 3,395
You're doing something wrong if the STX isn't giving you enough volume. There is a volume adjustment somewhere that you probably have too low. The STX should be loud enough to bust the drivers in the Annie.

Check all your settings.

Thanks, I will check. Granted, this observation is based strictly on playing BF3 and I had the volume cranked all the way in game and in windows. Maybe something was awry at the time. I literally have a couple hours playing with the Annies so you're probably right that I missed something. Apologies for posting something misleading.

May 26, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2,612 of 3,395
You weren't misleading. Glad that you posted that, so we can potentially keep you from buying something you may not even need.

Listen to music or something in stereo a d check if its still on the low side. I'm 99% certain something is off.

I don't have the STX nor do I know much of anything about soundcards, but I do know the STX has a pretty powerful amp, and shouldn't have any issues with the Annie.

May 26, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,613 of 3,395
You weren't misleading. Glad that you posted that, so we can potentially keep you from buying something you may not even need.

Listen to music or something in stereo a d check if its still on the low side. I'm 99% certain something is off.

I don't have the STX nor do I know much of anything about soundcards, but I do know the STX has a pretty powerful amp, and shouldn't have any issues with the Annie.

I just want to post this quote from a few pages ago. Your thoughts?

Have you ever heard about O2 amplifier? O2 is way cleaner and precise than ST(X) amplifier or E09(K) which is basically the same design. I have owned both, I know what I am talking about. You cannot expect wonders from soundcard's integrated amplifier (or from Fiio's E09), especially not in terms of current output.

Annies are low impedance current hungry headphones. Of course, damping factor of 7 or so is not bad but for a total control of the headphones' drivers, you definitely need as low output impedance as possible. STX is not good enough in terms of current, and not even completely suitable in terms of impedance match. Once again, STX or E09K are ONLY suitable for high impedance headphones which don't require current but voltage.

Both O2 and Magni will work better... Both cost around 100USD. That said, I would invest few dollars extra into better adapter for O2 plus went for 1x gain, to get the very best performance.

I understand that you can have a different opinion... But please, back up your point of view somehow! Loudness is not equal quality...

May 26, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,614 of 3,395
People put too much stock on technicalities, and not with what they actually hear. They look at the specs, and the bias kicks in. The Annies sounded fine off the E9K, and I'm sure theyd sound fine on the STX. Either way, the STX would have enough power for the Annie to at least drive them loudly.. Whatever issue you're having, it has nothing to due with the impedance, as you're not even getting loud levels.

The 70x drivers aren't affected by impedance as much as other dynamic drivers. They behave much like planars, in that their sound isn't affected as much, regardless of impedance.

Pretty sure whatever you're doing to attach an external amp to the STX would impact the sound negatively more than the STX alone. Double amping is last resort, and I only use it when I'm lacking juice. The STX doesn't. As far as connecting to the STX's line out, I believe you lose Dolby Headphone capabilities if you do that

Sorry for typos. I hate touch screens.

May 26, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #2,615 of 3,395
Quote:
My Annies just arrived and I've been enjoying them thoroughly.  I tried using them with just the Xonar STX and it sounded good, but the volume was a bit limited.  Don't get me wrong, it's still plenty loud, but not enough to give me that "wow" factor. 

Chaining it with the E17 helped quite a lot, though.

I also bought the Objective 2 amp, which is currently chained to the STX, and this is my preferred setup for the time being because I can use the Xonar software to switch between 8ch and 2ch quite easily.  I haven't tried gaming with the E17.

I'm using the AUX cable that came with the E17 to chain the STX to the o2, but will replace that with a 3.5 to RCA.

On the Asus Xonar Control in the main screen . You can see :

samplerate :
Analogue out :
spdif out :

On analogue out choose headphone and setup the gain with the little "hammer"

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_xonar_essence_stx_soundcard_review,4.html

(the default low gain setting is peraphs not enough for you , as it's no gain at all ,the ohm rating is just indicative)

May 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #2,617 of 3,395
About time someone said this! I'm tired of people whining about the Fiio E9's 10 (or 33) ohm impedance output, as if it'd ruin the K702's sound. Yet they haven't even tried that combination.

The E9 sounds just fine with all K702 variations. I even prefer it to even the Magni for just the Q701 or K702 I think.

BTW I tried the Q701 once with an old receiver with a 330ohm impedance output. No change at all. Sounded perfect. Even my DJ100 does fine with that and doesn't change a bit. It's 38 ohm. Of course my KRKs sounded awful.
Quote:
The 70x drivers aren't affected by impedance as much as other dynamic drivers. They behave much like planars, in that their sound isn't affected as much, regardless of impedance.

May 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,618 of 3,395
Yea, I've been running the Annies off the e17/e09k for the last 2 days, and i'm not finding any lack of volume... on high gain... I can't even turn these past 11 o'clock without discomfort. Tried with low gain... but I think i prefer the extra bit of warmth and weight in the bass from high gain.

May 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,619 of 3,395
Quote:
People put too much stock on technicalities, and not with what they actually hear. They look at the specs, and the bias kicks in. The Annies sounded fine off the E9K, and I'm sure theyd sound fine on the STX. Either way, the STX would have enough power for the Annie to at least drive them loudly.. Whatever issue you're having, it has nothing to due with the impedance, as you're not even getting loud levels.

Pretty sure whatever you're doing to attach an external amp to the STX would impact the sound negatively more than the STX alone. Double amping is last resort, and I only use it when I'm lacking juice. The STX doesn't. As far as connecting to the STX's line out, I believe you lose Dolby Headphone capabilities if you do that

Sorry for typos. I hate touch screens.

Quote:

On the Asus Xonar Control in the main screen . You can see :

samplerate :
Analogue out :
spdif out :

On analogue out choose headphone and setup the gain with the little "hammer"

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_xonar_essence_stx_soundcard_review,4.html

(the default low gain setting is peraphs not enough for you , as it's no gain at all ,the ohm rating is just indicative)

Thank you, both.  Yes, the rather obvious option of increasing the gain went over my head.  Issued resolved!

I suppose I can use my o2 at work or somewhere more useful than chained to my STX.

May 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,621 of 3,395
I'll never trust you!

Aha, don't take it literally; but the akg's best phones remain by far and large the K1000 and the K3003 to me.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,622 of 3,395
Quote:
Aha, don't take it literally; but the akg's best phones remain by far and large the K1000 and the K3003 to me.

Ummm... shouldn't we expect that given the huge difference in price???
tongue_smile.gif

May 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #2,623 of 3,395
Exactly. The comparison is ridiclous.

Like comparing the Sennheiser HD800 with the 650, and being disappointed that the 650 isn't as good.

May 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,625 of 3,395
Quote:

Right..

That's why I like to compare in terms of price ranges...  That's just me.. I guess.

People like "David and Goliath" stories, it makes for a lot of drama and hype and entertainment.

Especially with a consumer hobby like audiophile headphones, any validation upon products you spent money on FEELS GOOD, even if it's at the expense of (often false) discrediting of other products. That's the simple truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back