AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jun 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #2,643 of 3,395
Quote:

Aren't you forgetting something?....
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2,645 of 3,395
Swap the left pad with the right one. If the right ear still touches, that's a personal issue, not one for the headphones. :frown:

The pads aren't angled, so it's perfectly fine to switch the pads.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #2,647 of 3,395
Quote:
i already tried :frowning2:
are there any bigger custom pads out there?
its about 3mm ... - if i remove the foam rings under the earpads, my ear stops touching... - how much do they change the sound signature?

Just get some K702 pads. They're made of a different material and don't compress as much as the Anniversary pads.
The K702 pads are angled, so it's less likely your ears will touch the driver.

Or sell the Anniversary and side-grade to the Q701
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,649 of 3,395
Quote:
Just get some K702 pads. They're made of a different material and don't compress as much as the Anniversary pads.
The K702 pads are angled, so it's less likely your ears will touch the driver.

Or sell the Anniversary and side-grade to the Q701
biggrin.gif

why should i sell my annies? :frowning2:  (although i would make at least 150 € profit in austria)^^
i would have bought the X1 if they would have changeable pads

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,650 of 3,395
Jun 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,651 of 3,395
I can't believe your ears touches, mine don't and people say I have monkey ears.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #2,653 of 3,395
My ears touch just slightly, but it's not enough to bother me.  I can still go for several hours with them.

The X1 has deeper pads than the Anniversary though.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,654 of 3,395
I know i've mentioned this before and you all thought I was nuts, but...

These sound better after the pads have warmed up and have been on your head for a few minutes. Maybe around 5.
This makes a little sense with memory foam. Could by my imagination, but i'm pretty sure it's not. This is the 2nd time I've experienced this.
Months ago I kept telling myself the sound seemed to vary so much.
Could be due to placement? Doubt that. It's not a big deal really but this seems really weird. My pads definitely do change after wearing them for a few minutes.

Try this out with some really harsh and fatiguing music. Like maybe Jpop. After they've warmed these bad tracks sound smoother.

I've also noticed that very low bit-rate music sounds worse on the Annie compared to the Q701. I wonder why?
I have no clue how a 96kbps mp3 file got in my collection. Must be an encoding error. Yeah and it's sounds awful.

Anyway, when I first put the headphone on the pads are much harder. When they've been on my head for an hour they're super soft and they go flat easily.

It seems I have some tracks that are worse on the Annie and others that were worse on the Q701.
I'm surprised how with some headphones I can be fatigued by lower mids
confused_face_2.gif
I think that only happened before on the PX100-II and Philips Downtown.

Some music does sound amazing on the Anniversary, but too bad I don't have enough of that in my collection. Most of it sounds pretty dull.

BTW the E17 with L7 I really like as a DAC for the K702 Annie. I'm using that connecting to my Micro Amp. The lower mids are a bit bothersome on some bad music though (due to amp+headphone combo)

For some reason Sigur Ros sounds terrible on this. I think the recordings must be really poor. "Gong" is really bad and fatiguing. It's bad on the Modi too, but not as bad as on the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back