AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,596 of 3,395
okay almost no reason 
smile.gif

May 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2,597 of 3,395
Quote:
I haven't heard K1000 or Annies but I know about at least two people who said to prefer Anniversaries and/or all K7xx models over K1000 in this thread... This is also what one person I know personally thinks (mainly because he does not find K1000 to be any special)... That said, it's not as important, everything is subjective and matter of preference, of course! I personally always wanted to hear K1000... I guess I would like them more due to their design.

Trust me when I tell you the K1000 are much closer to the HD800's level than the K702 65. If you like the HD800 much more than the K702/65, you're bound to say the same about the K1000 as it's the closest thing I've heard to the HD800. Maybe it's possible some would prefer the annies, but I think it would be a very small minority if judging by SQ alone. One thing is for sure; they ain't comfy! 
tongue_smile.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,598 of 3,395
Quote:
Trust me when I tell you the K1000 are much closer to the HD800's level than the K702 65. If you like the HD800 much more than the K702/65, you're bound to say the same about the K1000 as it's the closest thing I've heard to the HD800. Maybe it's possible some would prefer the annies, but I think it would be a very small minority if judging by SQ alone. One thing is for sure; they ain't comfy! 
tongue_smile.gif

Have you read the review on headfonia, btw? I was seriously considering to try K1000 but after reading reviews and asking people, the impression I got is that HD800 are simply the more complete and versatile headphone, especially if you don't only listen to classical or acoustic music in general. In general, I was simply told that if I already have HD800, I shouldn't bother with K1000.

The design of K1000 is what I find interesting... That said, there are several opinions on that the drivers of AKGs are outdated and cannot compete on technical level with HD800. Also, the soundstage of AKGs can be wider but the overall depth and layering is lacking (in a way that you rather get a flat soundstage). HD800 should be in general superior...

May 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,599 of 3,395
Quote:

Have you read the review on headfonia, btw? I was seriously considering to try K1000 but after reading reviews and asking people, the impression I got is that HD800 are simply the more complete and versatile headphone, especially if you don't only listen to classical or acoustic music in general. In general, I was simply told that if I already have HD800, I shouldn't bother with K1000.

The design of K1000 is what I find interesting... That said, there are several opinions on that the drivers of AKGs are outdated and cannot compete on technical level with HD800. Also, the soundstage of AKGs can be wider but the overall depth and layering is lacking (in a way that you rather get a flat soundstage). HD800 should be in general superior...

Headphonia is a terrible terrible review group. I would never give any value to things their reviews say. 

May 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2,600 of 3,395
Again, comparing a mid level can for two flagships that cost a LOT more. Simply genius.

May 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,601 of 3,395
Quote:

Headphonia is a terrible terrible review group. I would never give any value to things their reviews say. 

agree , took K550 the best AKG so far for them , or DT-770 Pro LE (their favorite beyer excluding T1) at least they have good photos
redface.gif

Quote:
Again, comparing a mid level can for two flagships that cost a LOT more. Simply genius.

why not ? flagship are not much better than their price would sugest .

we pay 3x for 1.25x improvement at most if not less . so it's still comparable IMO .

(but it's the same for every product here
rolleyes.gif
)

May 24, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #2,602 of 3,395
agree , took K550 the best AKG so far for them , or DT-770 Pro LE (their favorite beyer excluding T1) at least they have good photos :xf_eek:

+agree. It is a terrible site. They actually sell things so we should not believe in what they say. By the way dt770 has to be the worst headphone beyerdynamic has at this very moment.

May 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,603 of 3,395
Well, in all fairness the K550 are still a pretty good pair of cans.  Even Tyll agrees:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone-page-2

I believe most of us here respect his opinions and reviews?

In the end, it's just personal preference once you get to a certain point. Personally, I know many love the Beyer DT880s... but demoing them with the Lyr/Bifrost, I found them harsh, sibilant and downright displeasing to my ears. For me, those trebles were just too hot to redeem any other good sound they produced.

May 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #2,604 of 3,395
Quote:
Well, in all fairness the K550 are still a pretty good pair of cans.  Even Tyll agrees:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone-page-2

I believe most of us here respect his opinions and reviews?

In the end, it's just personal preference once you get to a certain point. Personally, I know many love the Beyer DT880s... but demoing them with the Lyr/Bifrost, I found them harsh, sibilant and downright displeasing to my ears. For me, those trebles were just too hot to redeem any other good sound they produced.

nobody is saying that K550 is a bad headphone  , just :

http://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/  or   http://www.headfonia.com/the-beyerdynamic-we-love-dt770-anniversary-edition/

for me this is just exaggerated .

May 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2,605 of 3,395
True... to say the K550 is clean like an electrostatic is definitely over exaggerating.  I see what you mean, their reviews can be misleading and give the wrong impressions for people who don't have much listening experience.

On a side note (or rather... back on track): postal tracking says it's ready @ the post office!!!!  Sweet!!! Can't wait to go pick up the Annies!

May 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,606 of 3,395
I'm willing to bet you'll find it to be a great compliment to the 650. :)

May 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,607 of 3,395
Do you guys find that the Annies have just as long as a break-in/burn-in time as it's predecessors? I read most reviews indicate they need 300Hrs or so of burn-in. How much do they change? what aspects?

TBH... straight outta box they sound pretty good already. I honestly do think they sound quite similar to the HD 650s, but with more space, air and sparkle

In comparison to HD 650:
- wider soundstage, better imaging, more air to instruments and sound
- more sparkle in trebles, but not harsh... at least not so far from the tracks i tried
- details are indeed very clear to pick out... perhaps a bit more resolving than HD 650?? might need more time to be sure
- does lack that magical smooth buttery mid-bass tone of the HD 650... HD 650 still king when it comes to vocals IMHO

Now I may be mistaken, but running these outta e17/e09k... they seem to have more bass impact and warmth on high gain... low gain isn't quite as full sounding but seems to give better volume control and perhaps a tad more detail due to reduced bass (less distracting).  So it seems that for detailed listening low gain is preferable, but high gain is better for more euphonic and "musical" sound. Will be doing more comparison and update when I get these babies burned-in more =D

May 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,608 of 3,395
That's just how the E9K is.

And yes, it's very similar to the 650 with the differences you mentioned. My impressions were basically the same as yours.

May 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,609 of 3,395
My Annies just arrived and I've been enjoying them thoroughly.  I tried using them with just the Xonar STX and it sounded good, but the volume was a bit limited.  Don't get me wrong, it's still plenty loud, but not enough to give me that "wow" factor. 

Chaining it with the E17 helped quite a lot, though.

I also bought the Objective 2 amp, which is currently chained to the STX, and this is my preferred setup for the time being because I can use the Xonar software to switch between 8ch and 2ch quite easily.  I haven't tried gaming with the E17.

I'm using the AUX cable that came with the E17 to chain the STX to the o2, but will replace that with a 3.5 to RCA.

May 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #2,610 of 3,395
You're doing something wrong if the STX isn't giving you enough volume. There is a volume adjustment somewhere that you probably have too low. The STX should be loud enough to bust the drivers in the Annie.

Check all your settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back