AKG K240 Sextett questions
Dec 2, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 57
I had on hand some thick double sided tape, and that did the trick.

You should try the foam and K701 earpads if you have them. They are uber-comfortable and sound like K701 on steroids. I am loving them.

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 57
you're right, but try it anyway. Now I can sell my K701 (if I get replacement pads) !
biggrin.gif

Just noticed the right side also has a whole for fitting a cable, which is covered by a rubber plug. It should therefore not be too difficult to recable them...

Dec 2, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 57
Not difficult if you will still use those crappy steel wires that connect to the drivers. If you want to hardwire a new cable, it is very very hard, I can't even do it. I'm a noob though and there are people on here that can and will do it, and well.

In fact one of those people has posted in this thread, I'll let you guess who it is.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not difficult if you will still use those crappy steel wires that connect to the drivers. If you want to hardwire a new cable, it is very very hard, I can't even do it. I'm a noob though and there are people on here that can and will do it, and well.

In fact one of those people has posted in this thread, I'll let you guess who it is.
wink.gif

I've never found hardwiring a cable on the K240 to be difficult at all myself...

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #26 of 57
I found the recable to be pretty easy. The headphones are exactly the same on each side. I used some Mogami on mine and they sound pretty darn good. Best $50 headphones yet. I do want to try some velor pads. I also was wondering what they would be like if you cut out the center plastic like the K340 mod. I just don't want to ruin a pretty good thing.

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also was wondering what they would be like if you cut out the center plastic like the K340 mod.

It can be hard to get that plastic off a sextett, where it is glued in place, whereas you can just unscrew the plastic grill from a K340. I'm not convinced by this mod personally, I'm just not sure the grill is really doing anything bad to the sound. There are plenty of seventies headphones that had less open grilles than that, and sound grand. A Stax SR-5, for instance. And when I tested it on a pair of K340, I didn't hear any definite improvement on several sources/amps.

Fitz, what do you suggest as standard or extreme sextett mods?

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be hard to get that plastic off a sextett, where it is glued in place

Some of them are glued or otherwise stuck - on both of my sextetts they come right off.

Which brings up the point that you can't remove nearly as much of it as you could potentially with a k340. It's easy to see where the sextett grille connects - the most you could do is a small circle over the driver itself.

I don't think it would make much of a difference, if any.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkle11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... i think cable upgrade for sextetts has been talked about before, some are worried an upgrade will affect and alter the signature sound

The blue dragons were way too bright. I took them out and installed a cheap cable I had lying around and it sounds fine. Could have lived happily with the stock cable !

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #30 of 57
i tried the K240 Sextet with K701 pads

no go here =(

sounds all thin and lifeless

edit: got a question of my own though, after a few months i've still got this disintegrated black foam crap falling out of the headphones! what's the best way to clean it up for good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back