AKG K240 Sextett questions
Dec 1, 2007 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

blem

Banned
I recently bought an AKG K240 Sextett from ebay (65 euros). They smelled of smoke when I received them, and the pads were a little worn, so I ordered a new set of pads (from Thomann Cyberstore) along with new foam sheets which they did not come with.

I was pleasantly suprised by the sound improvement I obtained by adding the foam and replacing the pads.

k240.jpg

(in the above picture, the metal ring color look gold due to the lighting buth they are silver).

I have a couple questions :

- are there any velour pads that can be used with the K240 ? EDIT : question answered in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...r-pads-268918/ Anyone know where to purchase the K271 velour pads ?

- Unlike newer models, the Sextett's cable is not detachable. Is it difficult to replace the cable ? Is a cable upgrade worthwile ?

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 57
i would like to know about the pads as well, i think cable upgrade for sextetts has been talked about before, some are worried an upgrade will affect and alter the signature sound

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 57
congrats on scoring the sextetts. ive been wanting them for awhile now

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif

k240.jpg

(in the above picture, the metal ring color look gold due to the lighting buth they are silver).
- are there any velour pads that can be used with the K240 ? EDIT : question answered in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...r-pads-268918/ Anyone know where to purchase the K271 velour pads ?

It looks like the headband has been changed ?

I found my velour pads are interchangeable between K340 and K240.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not all sextetts have the perforated headband.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 57
My stock cable was dirty, disgusting, flimsy, and falling apart. Terrible build quality. So I sent my Sextets off to Fitz for a cleaning and recable.

He did an AMAZING job...they look band new!

Oh, anyone have the AKG parts number for the US? I lost it, and I need to call that guy about some pads I ordered in like, September. I ordered 4 Sextet pads, and they were supposed to ship at the end of October...And it's December now.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought an AKG K240 Sextett from ebay (65 euros). They smelled of smoke when I received them, and the pads were a little worn, so I ordered a new set of pads (from Thomann Cyberstore) along with new foam sheets which they did not come with.

Just so people know, the Sextett never came with these foam sheets, so anybody else who might buy a pair shouldn't feel like their pair is "incomplete" because of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not necessarily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, anyone have the AKG parts number for the US? I lost it, and I need to call that guy about some pads I ordered in like, September. I ordered 4 Sextet pads, and they were supposed to ship at the end of October...And it's December now.

Frank's number is 818-920-3279. I had around 20 pads get shipped out a couple days ago, so yours might be on the way now too.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so people know, the Sextett never came with these foam sheets, so anybody else who might buy a pair shouldn't feel like their pair is "incomplete" because of it.

Thanks for the info. Funny I prefer them with the foam sheets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frank's number is 818-920-3279. I had around 20 pads get shipped out a couple days ago, so yours might be on the way now too.

Do you happen to have his email address ?

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 57
I tried them with the K701 pads - they are so much more comfortable than the stock pads ! I also find they improve the sound, this could be due to the fact that they are thicker at the bottom and therefore the driver is angled differently in front of the ear. I have left the foam sheets underneath the pads.

They also look nice (K240 purists may disagree) :

sextett_501.jpg

The K701 pads are held in position when the headphones are worn, but I have not figured a way to fix them permanently. Perhaps a few drops of glue ? Any suggestions welcome.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 57
Having solved my comfort issues (and slightly improving the sound along the way) I am thinking these phones offer a terrific value considering their price (<100$). Are there any phones out there, new or used, that offer better sound for that price ? I doubt it. Only caveat is that they are difficult to drive. But if you are already equipped then its a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back