AKG K240 Sextett questions
Dec 4, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried the K240 Sextet with K701 pads

no go here =(

sounds all thin and lifeless

edit: got a question of my own though, after a few months i've still got this disintegrated black foam crap falling out of the headphones! what's the best way to clean it up for good?

The most certain way is disassembling the earcups, so you can shake out 90% of it, and scrape off the remaining 10%. If you want I can walk you through it via PMs (while disassembling one here for reference), since I'll be on for a little while.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried the K240 Sextet with K701 pads

no go here =(

sounds all thin and lifeless

I must have a problem with ear placement on the stock pads - they sound really "sloppy". With the K701 pads I get a much better focus. No issue with sound being thin.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #33 of 57
we talking about new stock pads or 30-year-old stock pads?

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New stock pads. New or old, the shape is the same isn't it ?

Not when they're worn out and compressed.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #38 of 57
with a pump like those sneakers?

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #40 of 57
For my ears:
Vintage pads - more mids, lots of veil
Modern pads - more highs, more transparency, tighter bass ("modern" kind of bass), mids disappeared
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pleather

I have both old and new pairs of the pleather pads. Beside the better comfort of the latter, I don't frankly hear a significant difference in sound. Then again, my old pairs aren't really that squished (just slightly hardened outer layer/skin which I took care with application of leather conditioner) so that may explain it.

Cheers!

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my ears:
Vintage pads - more mids, lots of veil
Modern pads - more highs, more transparency, tighter bass ("modern" kind of bass), mids disappeared
frown.gif

I'm reasonably certain that the construction of the pads has not changed over the years. Just some are worn out and some aren't.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most certain way is disassembling the earcups, so you can shake out 90% of it, and scrape off the remaining 10%. If you want I can walk you through it via PMs (while disassembling one here for reference), since I'll be on for a little while.

how did i miss this post?!?

does the offer still stand? I'm still interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back