AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,231 of 1,737
No clue. The badge is faked. Sextetts never actually said "sextetts" on the badge,although it did say it on the original box.
The headband is solid,which means if it is a sextett its an LP,which has the least bass of of the three sextetts produced.
Hope it turns out well for you,and hope you have an amp up to the task.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,232 of 1,737
After too many beers last night, I placed a bid on eBay for these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AKG-K240-Sextett-LP-600-ohm-refurbished-free-shipping/202657954855?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

Are these really K240 Sextetts? I'm interested in getting a pair since I enjoy my K7XX and want to try another AKG headphone. I have a Lyr 3 which should be able to drive them pretty well.

They are listed as LP\s and in the description it is mentioned they were "custom -made" badges, which probably cost like $5-$10. I think they look pretty cool.
When I had them they camed with a felt donut ring, perhaps why i didn't find them bass light, and quite warm.The radiators are passive and are they for inner reflections so covering them does nothing, or so i assume :p. It was like 1-2mm thick felt, i don't think very transparent.
sxtet.jpg

Also I had tried both 770v/vb (ones found on dt770) (not the 990v found on dt880/990) beyerrdynamic pads as well as shure 1540 pads. And for ME, the shures worked. I really liked them, and the 770vb. Did not like stock pads.
They have 240 sheepskin pads on amazon should one wish for those. Hm5 is too thick IMO

These both did not get a bid last round as there are 2 and chances are good you will get it for 67 which would be pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #1,233 of 1,737
No clue. The badge is faked. Sextetts never actually said "sextetts" on the badge,although it did say it on the original box.
The headband is solid,which means if it is a sextett its an LP,which has the least bass of of the three sextetts produced.
Hope it turns out well for you,and hope you have an amp up to the task.

My LP's have the older headband with holes so that rule isn't ironclad.

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,234 of 1,737
My LP's have the older headband with holes so that rule isn't ironclad.

No,I get that. My LP has holes as well,but they never put the solid headband on the EP or MP,so any solid headband Sextett you see is an LP.
If your sextett has holes in the headband the only way to know which version is the color of the radiators.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #1,236 of 1,737
I have read through this entire thread and as a result I have become a huge AKG 240 fan. I got the 340's first. That was prior to reading this thread. I then went to the 240 (mp's i believe) sextetts. Did some more reading of some other threads and grabbed the the 240 df's. I also found a pair of 240 600 ohm monitors and grabbed them as well. This was all on top of a pair of Monolith 1060c's which were actually given to me.

So....I have been listening to them all. Not a big range of music genres...been listening to stringed acoustic music....mostly Jerry Douglas playing dobro....some Alison Krauss and Union Station...some classical...a little Jazz (not strings).

My initial preferences among the AKG's

K 240 sextett smooth, very musical, and totally immersive. bass can get a little boomy at times.
K 340 and K 240 600 monitor (very close) similar to the sextetts but not quite as resolving.
K 240 df (mine are a tad bright for me....very detailed and resolving with a wider soundstage than the sextetts but they just seem a bit bright. I probably should just listen to them for a few days to see if I can adjust to the sound. these could be my favorites if I can tame the brightness a bit. I love the resolution and the wide soundstage.

I was surprised at how good the K 240 600 ohm monitors sounded. I got them for around 35 dollars....cleaned them up a little as the foam disk inserts were falling apart. So I cleaned off the plastic....added new foam disks and gave them a spin. They sounded much better after performing this task. I really do like them quite a bit. I am amazed at how good a pair of 35 dollar headphones can sound.

I will probably look into putting some new earpads on them. I did replace the earpads on the K340's and the k240 sextetts with Neomusica sheepskin earpads. They fit right on to the k240's but were all but impossible to get on the 340's. I do like the comfort of them and they did improve the sound.

So I am now an avowed AKG 240 600 ohm headphone convert. I love the simplicity...the comfort....and most importantly the sound. Just my 2 cents. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but more of a music listener who has been listening to all types of music for a very long time. Thank you for all the info that was provided in this thread. It was a very educational and enjoyable read.

I guess that I should add that I am streaming Tidal using a Meridian Explorer 2 DAC into an xDuoo TA-01 headphone amp. I don't have my main stereo set up at the moment, but will be listening to other sources when I do get back up and running.

Dennis
Guys, I also have k250, the closed-back version of k240 series. Sounds refined, not like a closed-back. If you like the transducer of k240, you may try k140, which uses the same driver.

May 1, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,237 of 1,737
They never put solid headband on other versions of EP. For French version, k242, Idk.
However, MP will be a mass, which means there are many different appearance types including headbands. They did, but very varely, put grills lying parallel to the direction of the headband, whereas most at 45 degrees to it.
LP rarely comes with holes on the headbands since most materials had used up.

May 3, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #1,239 of 1,737
The K240 Sextetts just got here today. They're in pretty good shape for as old as they are.

I plugged them into my Lyr 3 on high gain. It drives them pretty effortlessly at about 25% volume, a pretty good listening level.

My first impression is...holy crap! They sound absolutely incredible for the $67.99 I paid for them on eBay!

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,241 of 1,737
Is there any consensus on the best replacement pads for an LP sextett?

Is there are cheap alternatives on ebay/aliexpress that will sound good?

I have k550 pads which kind of work but don't have original pads to make a comparison so I'll ask here what pads should I buy for these?

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,242 of 1,737
Hi seanc6441,

I've tried Brainwavz pleather pads, as well as their hybrid pads, on my K240 Sextetts. In my experience, I felt the stock AKG pads didn't provide a good seal, so bass presence was lacking. On the flipside, the Brainwavz pleather pads provided such a good seal that there was actually suction created when putting the headphones on, but bass was murkying the midrange. For me, the hybrid pads are perfect: there's a good seal without the suction effect, and bass is solid without intruding where it doesn't belong. The perforations on the inner part of the earpads seem to help keep the bass in control as well. Another plus is that the Brainwavz pads allow space between my ears and the driver grills, whereas the stock pads made my ears touch the grills... So, that made long listening sessions as comfortable as first putting them on, and the spatiality of the sound is wider and more open compared to the stock pads. Hope this helps, and happy listening!

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #1,243 of 1,737

I have k550 pads which kind of work but don't have original pads to make a comparison so I'll ask here what pads should I buy for these?

I have tested nearly whole Brainwavz line erapads when (and after) I write a review for Brainwavz and I get best results with their Velour Angled Memoryfoam Earpads for my MP Sextett (please note not LP). Hope this info helps...

(----On this LINK you will see some of their earpads with a review but you'll not see Sextett -because I have tried the earpads for Sextett later (As I remember I didn't have Sextett when I write the review). And I have received another set of erpads after the review as well so I have tested nearly all the HM5 line of earpads (except the later real leather ones).

----On this LINK you can see the Sextett with Velour Angled Memoryfoam Earpads (along with Hybrid Memoryfoam Earpds attached to a K340).

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #1,244 of 1,737

Did you end up buying anything? I have some spares kicking about if you want to experiment?

I have some memory foam sheepskin which I keep going back to and new genuine AKG ones. I just sold my MP and K340 so have more pads than my LP needs and had multiples of each. Let me know and I will check the spares box. I seem to have settled on what I like just now.

The sheepskin pads are linked in my post here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ons-micro-thread.845221/page-11#post-14719498

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #1,245 of 1,737
I picked up a couple of Sextett recentl, plus the AKG HP4E amp you see down below. The one on the left is an MP and the one on the right is an LP...
IMG_20190712_182224_136.jpg
If the headband on the LP looks odd it's because I swapped it out.
The LP headband was kind of deformed and lumpy so I removed it and took it to my local leather shop to have a custom strap made...turns out they are busier than usual (I think there is a RenFair happening locally, so they are swamped, go figure) and it's going to be a couple of weeks before he can get it done. I want to listen to them in the meantime and I happened to have a set of the Monoprice Modern Retro which is one of the many clones/copies of the K240, so I swapped the parts over.
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread, (I just started reading it...83 pages takes a little time to digest y'all!) but if you have a Sextett and the hardware is broken, or if the elastics are shot out (as it was on one of my sets) the parts from the Retros are the same, everything fits.
IMG_20190712_181240_307.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back