AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Dec 7, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #1,261 of 1,737
I sold my MP K240 Sexett a couple of years ago because I did not have the power to drive them. Stupid me.
I now have a Schiit Asgard 3 so I figure let's try again. Seen these on fleabay earlier in the week. Not much info but the buy it now price was right at $40! So I took a chance.
They came in yesterday. Mid Production! Score! They will need some TLC but they work as is for now.

@Baycode the angled pads, are they oval or round. I am not finding them.

k1kdG9N.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #1,262 of 1,737
I sold my MP K240 Sexett a couple of years ago because I did not have the power to drive them. Stupid me.
I now have a Schiit Asgard 3 so I figure let's try again. Seen these on fleabay earlier in the week. Not much info but the buy it now price was right at $40! So I took a chance.
They came in yesterday. Mid Production! Score! They will need some TLC but they work as is for now.

@Baycode the angled pads, are they oval or round. I am not finding them.

k1kdG9N.jpg

Very nice find for 40 USD!

EDIT: I have attached oval Brainvawz VELOUR angled memoryfoam ear-pads. They become round once they attached. Use some air dryer heat to soften them before attachment (if needed).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,263 of 1,737
Very nice find for 40 USD!

I have attached oval Brainvawz pleather angled memoryfoam ear-pads. They become round once they attached. Use some air dryer heat to soften them before attachment (if needed).

I second the Brainwavz pads, however, I found the hybrids to have a better-balanced sound for me. The all-pleather provides such a good seal that my Sextetts' bass was bloated and overbearing.

Good tip about the hair dryer!

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #1,264 of 1,737
I second the Brainwavz pads, however, I found the hybrids to have a better-balanced sound for me. The all-pleather provides such a good seal that my Sextetts' bass was bloated and overbearing.

Good tip about the hair dryer!

I am so sorry I have mistakenly written pleather, I use VELOUR ones!!! Thanks! I will edit my original reply as well!

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #1,265 of 1,737
I am so sorry I have mistakenly written pleather, I use VELOUR ones!!! Thanks! I will edit my original reply as well!
I was wondering what you would have thought about the difference between the two! Nice, we're in the same boat.

I see you have a Darkvoice OTL tube amp...I'm using a Bottlehead Crack OTL with a 6SN7 input, so we have a pretty similar standard for high-quality audio. :) Cheers!

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #1,266 of 1,737
I was wondering what you would have thought about the difference between the two! Nice, we're in the same boat.

I see you have a Darkvoice OTL tube amp...I'm using a Bottlehead Crack OTL with a 6SN7 input, so we have a pretty similar standard for high-quality audio. :) Cheers!

Sorry for late reply.

With velour K240 Sextett sounds more open, slightly more holographic, bass is reduced a little bit compared to pleather but it is more balanced and overall HP sounds more linear compared to pleather. Pleather improves the bass and also high region were sharper as far as I can remember. Also velours are more comfy and makes less sweat so I prefer them overall.

Enjoy the Sextett. Cheers! :)

Mar 15, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #1,267 of 1,737
Just as an intro I bought a pair of LP in 2018 as my first decent pair of headphones (I only had Senn HD438 before these.) They had the original pads on them so I replaced them with cheap chinese pleather square cornered ones:
DSCF3580.JPG

They sounded really good. Just right on the bass front and (for me) excellent clarity. Great for most of my music which is rock apart from some more modern "busy" stuff like Marillion - post Fish era. Just weren't handling that level of layering across the frequencies. Superb though for stuff like Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, ACDC, RATM etc. About a month later I bought the MP version which is a fave here and the pads were even worse so I did the same to them. Wasn't that keen on them TBH. That extra bass seemed to ruin the mids for my ears. I tried pushing the pads in to different depths but whatever I did I preferred the LP which "seemed" to be just right.

Roll on to this year and those cheap Chinese pads (they were only £5 a pair or something like that) on the LPs was starting to wear and they weren't sounding quite so good anymore. So I decided to buy some new AKG pads from Thomann. £5.40 per pad. I bought 4 to redo both headphones.

With the new genuine pads something magical happened and all of a sudden the MP are sounding really good. The LP (I think) sounds like it has a little more clarity but compared to the MP it now sounds quite restrained. The problem of bloated bass which seemed to be blending out the lower mids with the worn out original pads is now behaving. Will take some time I guess to work out what is reality here. My suggestion would be to try and get some new "genuine" pads for the K240 first and see how it sounds with "stock" as it would've been new.

Either way these headphones are definitely my go to for more simpler rock. Meaning rock that is recorded without multiple overdubs and vast amounts of keyboard/effects overlaid. I have since bought some HD580s which manage this kind of stuff really well but if I am putting on some proper rock then off come the HD580s and on go the Sextetts (currently the MP) because they just sound so good for this kind of music.

I should add that I am using a Trio KR3600 Stereo Receiver from the 70s. No dedicated headphone amp. I use this amp for speakers and headphones. Basically this is my music amp. Only 22W per channel but sounds incredibly musical:
IMG_4103.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,268 of 1,737
Hello. I've been on while checking this side, I'm hifi intusiast sinse 80' and yesterday I bought Sextetts MP and LP, both woth holed hedaband for hi fi listening, listen 100% on vinyl.. Sounds is great, been DJing since 1999 and use now over 20 years still the first pair of HD25. Very agressive cans, but great on dj booth.

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,270 of 1,737
Welcome to the club! I absolutely love my AKG K240 Sextetts as well! The pairs you got look to be in fantastic condition too. Even when I tried upgrading to the Beyerdynamic DT 1990, I was totally dissatisfied with the sound: scooped out midrange and a pretty harsh, glare-ridden signature. The K240 Sextett in comparison sounded wonderfully lifelike and smooth, with great midrange presence and attack. Cheers and enjoy your cans!

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,272 of 1,737
I am digging my newly resurfaced K240... I have had them for probably 30 years. They were stored at my Dads, I just found them today with a few other toys. They were in the box in time capsule condition. I never used them because they were the 600 Ohm "Monitor" version and I never had anything with the power to drive them adequately, well fast forward to 2020 when I plugged them into my Quicksilver Headphone amp. This amp has the ability to make anything plugged in sound better and those old 240s rock still. This pairing really demonstrates how important a good amp is . These phones are power hungry, but at 1 o'clock on that amp they crank and the QS doesn't even break a sweat , plenty more clean power available.

Apr 19, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #1,273 of 1,737
I never used them because they were the 600 Ohm "Monitor" version
If they have the gold badges and say K240 Monitor they arent sextetts.
AKG has several headphones called the K240,but there is only one sextett.
Have a look at the buying guide I put together a few years ago to see which you have. If it turns out yours arent sextetts,I'd recommend tracking a pair down. Theyre special.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/post-13299270

May 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #1,274 of 1,737
I just bought a sextett in Philips disguise, the N6330. I read a lot in this topic about the period of manufacturing ( EP - MP -LP ) and this one has radiators that are EP-orange from the back and MP- white with orange circles on front .
Although the seller wrote it was in top shape, i can see that the foam is desintegrating and the pads are not in very good shape.
Luckily i didn't pay a lot for it.
But that is not why i write this post: i want to replace the round 5 pins connector that is attached to it for a jack plug. Does anyone have a pinout for this type of connector ? As can be seen on the pictures are all wires black. Or would it be better to attach a complet new cable?

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,275 of 1,737
I already figured it out.. The connector is called a DIN 5 pins würfel. I think i am going to get a new cable with a 3,5 mm plug and solder that on the connection board as an adapter is difficult to get and looks not very elegant. Problem is how to get the new round cable in the square cable guide thingy as the old cable is molten? in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back