1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jon l, Jun 15, 2007.
First

Back
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
83 84 85
Next

Last
  1. Monsterzero
    I havent. I have been asked that question a few times on my channel,and I always refer them to this thread.
    I dont want to mess with the sound at all,so I leave mine completely stock.

2. Mshenay
    I went to the now discontinued Cosmos Velour Pads

3. SHAMuuu
    Totally understadable haha. Now with the explosion in the pad department, it's insane to try and keep up :p
    I just didn't like my ears touching the grill, and i can feel rim of the inner walls of these 40 year old things :D
    Alcantara and sheepskin vs 40 year old Vinyl hmmmm :D

Monsterzero likes this.
  4. Monsterzero
    What changes in the sound did you guys have,and how did it change the comfort,if at all?

5. SHAMuuu
    I've tried the Beyerdynamic 770vb and 990v and 660vb, and the ones for closed back beyer worked best. Not sure why. Anyway thr 1540 Alcantara is for closed back as well and they fattened up the LP (which monsterzero said had least bass) and i preferred more than 240M but i will like to acquire MP/EP down the road. One of my fav cans for sure.

Oh and i used the Beyer 770vb on the 240M

6. Monsterzero
    I might try some pad swapping on my LPs. They literally have been sitting on my wall,untouched for years.
    The problem for me is all my hobby cash lately has been going into tubes,and I just bought a basically NOS set of GEC 6AS7G...that wasnt cheap!

7. SHAMuuu
    Don't poison my mind any more buddy. :D You and two other head-fi'ers got me into vintage cans from basshead thinking only

I try not to think of tubes. I just pretend tube amps don't exist.

[​IMG]

Monsterzero likes this.
  8. Monsterzero
    I totally remember when you were just a basshead too!

Hate to break it to you,but you havent heard the HD250 until youve heard it on a good OTL...Its crazy good!

9. SHAMuuu
    Yes, the 250 really shocked me in their capability considering they are closed. And I preferred them to the 540,560,580 which are all open!
    I will defo get an OTL down the line!
    As well as the MP Sextett!

Monsterzero likes this.
  10. dezafinado
    According to Kevin Brown's post on page 35, there's inconsistency among his Sextetts. Being so old, I guess that's to be expected.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k240-sextett-gradod-akg.243339/page-35#post-7071513

11. Monsterzero
    Yeah there are supposedly individual "unicorn" units of many headphones,from many different mfgs.
    Ive never seen a reason to own multiple pairs of the exact same headphone,so how is a person to know if they have a "good" one or not unless you have the cash to buy the same headphone multiple times?

While I do own three Sextetts,none are the "same" as I have an EP,MP and a LP. For all I know I might have a "good" or "bad" pair mixed in.
    Seeing as how were nearly fifty years removed from the time these were produced it will be a challenge for anyone to be certain if you have a bad pair,or not. Your thoughts that the drivers could be super rigid after all this time sounds logical to me,but its going to be hard to tell for certain.

12. Hifiboi69
    833B9E6D-45A0-47FA-89BD-F61EEEC8269A.png E5C23D15-75A7-4191-A11D-33DFF4BA9673.jpeg Thats interesting because I have a K240 MP with rounded edges facing out (pic #2). I also found a pic of an MP selling now and it is flat facing outside (pic #1).

13. CJG888
    Just out of interest: which pads are you using on the HD250?

14. SHAMuuu
    There was a lot discussed in the Sennheiser 540 thread as there was comparison of the 250 vs 540. You will need to look through like last 15'ish pages. The latest successes were with some shallow pads from CHINA and k240 sheepskin pads. I had some shallow pleather pads from a vintage Beyerdynamic, as well as a very well beaten up (on purpose/intentional) sheepskin pad (hm5) flattened with a clamp increasing mod (by using a beyerdynamic metal headband attached to the 250 headband.

My conclusion was the main issue was more a clamp issue; in that, loose clamp would render any after market pad useless. If your pair has decent clamp, then a shallow pleather or sheepskin pad (1/2 of stock hm5 thickness) would work.

I let mine go, as I will be on hunt for a less used pair with more clamp, as the addition of the beyer headband adds weight. But I know its sound, and it sound very good b/c of its low end response while maintaining sparkly treble and very good mids gave edge over the 540/560/580.
    It was so close to perfect, I could not believe! Just clamp problems
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Monsterzero likes this.
  15. MtnMan307
First

Back
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
83 84 85
Next

Last