AIAIAI TMA-1
Apr 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #706 of 1,345
Bought AiAiAi TMA-1's to replace my broken Audio Technica ATH-SQ5, my first real headphones. I was going to get the AD700's for gaming and music, but I wanted to try a new sound signature for the heck of it. I love them, but I do miss the soundstage of the SQ5. Some layers of songs are just harder to pick out, and they're not suitable for gaming at all. Currently powered by a Cowon J3 and the magic middle slider of the Fiio E5. Just wondering what my next upgrade should be. Any headphones that would sound like a combination of the TMA-1's and AD700? Also would anybody be willing to share any J3 EQ settings for TMA-1's? :D

Currently listen mainly to house, electro-house, trance, techno, electropop etc

Mine:
80 Hz Wide
385 Hz Wide
1.1 kHz Normal
4.1 kHz Wide
13 kHz Normal
BBE: 6
Mach3Bass: 5
3D Surround: 2
MP Enhance: On
Stereo Enhance: Off
Reverb: Off.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #708 of 1,345
A combination between TMA-1's and AD700? Cans couldn't be further apart. :) So the bass and darkness of the TMA-1 combined with the soundstage and air of the AD700... Sennheiser HD650? :) That'll be a definite upgrade over both though. 

Oh wait! That new fischer Audio FA-011 sounds good! Bass and soundstage! Check it out!

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #709 of 1,345
Bought AiAiAi TMA-1's to replace my broken Audio Technica ATH-SQ5, my first real headphones. I was going to get the AD700's for gaming and music, but I wanted to try a new sound signature for the heck of it. I love them, but I do miss the soundstage of the SQ5. Some layers of songs are just harder to pick out, and they're not suitable for gaming at all. Currently powered by a Cowon J3 and the magic middle slider of the Fiio E5. Just wondering what my next upgrade should be. Any headphones that would sound like a combination of the TMA-1's and AD700? Also would anybody be willing to share any J3 EQ settings for TMA-1's? :D

Currently listen mainly to house, electro-house, trance, techno, electropop etc

Mine:
80 Hz Wide 3
385 Hz Wide 2
1.1 kHz Normal 2
4.1 kHz Wide 3
13 kHz Normal 4
BBE: 6
Mach3Bass: 5
3D Surround: 2
MP Enhance: On
Stereo Enhance: Off
Reverb: Off.

Edit: woops.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #710 of 1,345
or maybe the ultrasone pro900, i heard it has a good soundstage for a closed can,  bassy, and its not as harsh as other ultrasones. and +1 on FA011! but its gonna take forever to wait for your order...'

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #711 of 1,345
My next upgrade needs to be open can as I've only ever experienced closed cans, and also not portable so the TMA-1's still get some love from me. :D
FA011 looks like the AD700 killer I've been waiting for, until I realised it needs serious amplification.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #712 of 1,345
^_^just got the tma-1s! and i prefer it over the hd25s ^_^  i think tma has a little bit bigger soundstage which is perfect for music. thats just right of the box too.. i wonder if burn-in really helps. hopefully they can open up more on vocals and tighter bass

idont think its fatiguing either and i'm loving the bass "its just perfect in quantity". its not bloated like the crossfades and beats

i just like the vocals on hd25 a bit better.. but the hds25 vocals sometimes overpowers the instruments besides the bass and cymbals.. just from what i remember

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #713 of 1,345
You should try using the EQ on whatever device they are plugged into. They respond remarkably well to it, and it can make a world of a difference.

Quote:
^_^just got the tma-1s! and i prefer it over the hd25s ^_^ i think tma has a little bit bigger soundstage which is perfect for music. thats just right of the box too.. i wonder if burn-in really helps. hopefully they can open up more on vocals and tighter bass

idont think its fatiguing either

i just like the vocals on hd25 a bit better.. but the hds25 vocals sometimes overpowers the instruments besides the bass and cymbals.. just from what i remember

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #714 of 1,345

yup ipods treble booster works wonder on it!but the cable is so microphonic "when it hits my clothes it makes thumping sounds"you guys have similar exp? how are after market cables?
Quote:
You should try using the EQ on whatever device they are plugged into. They respond remarkably well to it, and it can make a world of a difference.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #715 of 1,345

Quote:
yup ipods treble booster works wonder on it!but the cable is so microphonic "when it hits my clothes it makes thumping sounds"you guys have similar exp? how are after market cables?

You mean the TMA-1 cable? The stock TMA-1 cable is garbage for portable use. I actually just got in my KitSound cable today and I love it. I'd suggest pretty much anything over the stock cable (especially considering how easy it is to change cables). Also, I don't think BURN IN with these cans is something to worry about, but if something sound bad, check the recording in another pair. I've noticed that between the HD 25 and the TMA...the TMA is VERY unforgiving compared to the HD 25 with bad recordings. Especially with vocalcentric music.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #716 of 1,345

yeah yup i guess the next project is for the cables.. hmmm is 4feet perfect for portable for a 5'5 person?
Quote:

You mean the TMA-1 cable? The stock TMA-1 cable is garbage for portable use. I actually just got in my KitSound cable today and I love it. I'd suggest pretty much anything over the stock cable (especially considering how easy it is to change cables). Also, I don't think BURN IN with these cans is something to worry about, but if something sound bad, check the recording in another pair. I've noticed that between the HD 25 and the TMA...the TMA is VERY unforgiving compared to the HD 25 with bad recordings. Especially with vocalcentric music.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #717 of 1,345

Quote:
yeah yup i guess the next project is for the cables.. hmmm is 4feet perfect for portable for a 5'5 person?

That should be more than enough. I've found that (being 6'1") I need a cable that is 1 Meter long if it's in my pocket. I'm getting a belt case for my portable rig soon, so it won't matter as much then.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #718 of 1,345

Quote:

I would say so. It's an $80 difference new. They're my favorite portables that I've owned. I'd say go for it. You get what you pay for.

Okay. I am ohhh so close to pulling the trigger. Are the TMA's revealing enough where they will make streaming music sound awful? Also, do you wear glasses by chance? Only asking to comment as to the comfort with glasses. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #719 of 1,345

Quote:

Okay. I am ohhh so close to pulling the trigger. Are the TMA's revealing enough where they will make streaming music sound awful? Also, do you wear glasses by chance? Only asking to comment as to the comfort with glasses. 

I do in fact where glasses. I have no problems with the comfort at all (I did with the HD 25-1s). And honestly I don't know. I'll give some internet radio a listen tonight and get back to you.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #720 of 1,345
That's great to hear (about the glasses). And awesome! Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back