AIAIAI TMA-1
Apr 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #721 of 1,345
I wear mine with glasses as well.  I find they do clamp too much after a while, but it has nothing to do with my glasses (which are all squished to my head from headphone wearing now anyway).  For on-ears, they are about as comfortable as you could ask for.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #722 of 1,345
Depends on the source... Youtube?? Yes, unless it is an HD video. Pandora sounds amazing, provided that it is not a 3g stream, but even that doesn't sound too bad, you will notice that it is a 3g stream, and not a broadband stream. And I wear them with glasses all the time. No problems here. 

Quote:

Okay. I am ohhh so close to pulling the trigger. Are the TMA's revealing enough where they will make streaming music sound awful? Also, do you wear glasses by chance? Only asking to comment as to the comfort with glasses. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #723 of 1,345

Quote:
Depends on the source... Youtube?? Yes, unless it is an HD video. Pandora sounds amazing, provided that it is not a 3g stream, but even that doesn't sound too bad, you will notice that it is a 3g stream, and not a broadband stream. And I wear them with glasses all the time. No problems here. 

@joelpearce
How long is it normally until they start hurting, and do you think there is a better (more comfortable and equally fun) alternative to the TMA's in terms of portable headphones (more portable than the M50's at least)?

@kyuuketsuki
That's great to hear. I listen to Pandora, but have been using grooveshark a lot more recently. But awesome news that those types of streaming sources still sound good out of these cans :D

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #724 of 1,345

Quote:
@joelpearce
How long is it normally until they start hurting, and do you think there is a better (more comfortable and equally fun) alternative to the TMA's in terms of portable headphones (more portable than the M50's at least)?

I have three pairs of portable headphones right now--the Phiaton MS400, the Ultrasone HFI-780, and the TMA-1

The TMA-1 is the most forgiving of the three, and also has the most bass quantity.  It's the most forgiving because of the lowered treble response.  I find they start to get a bit uncomfortable after an hour or two, then I can squeeze a bit more time out of them if I adjust them, but 2-3 hours is definitely the max.

That said, I prefer the MS400 for comfort and overall sound signature, though I worry more about their durability (the cable at least, which is quite thin).  They have a nice level of bass, a fun, peppy sound, and very little clamping force.

The 780s are my favourite of the three.  I found them a bit harsh before doing a bit of modding to them, but after that they now sound truly spectacular.  They sound good for all genres, have the punchiest bass I've heard, and have remarkable clarity.  That said, they are far less forgiving than the others on bad tracks and low quality sources, and unmodded it's hard to know how someone will feel about them.  They are pretty bright.  They are also a bit more bulky, though, so they strain the whole portable label.

If you don't need isolation, I would still also recommend the Sennheiser PX-100 as a great entry level portable headphone.  They are stunningly comfortable, have seriously nice bass, and fold up really tiny.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #725 of 1,345
Ahh not more options! (haha) The 780's are too big for what I am looking for (looking to downsize from the M50s). I have a pair of Koss Portapros and those are superb (I like there sound and are pretty comfortable). I'm looking for something closed though for commuting and studying/coding.

That's surprising to hear that 2-3 hours is the max you can wear the TMA's though (and disappointing). I can wear my M50s longer than that and was looking for something that could outlast them. Ohh boy, perhaps the search continues. 

:frowning2:

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #726 of 1,345

Quote:
Ahh not more options! (haha) The 780's are too big for what I am looking for (looking to downsize from the M50s). I have a pair of Koss Portapros and those are superb (I like there sound and are pretty comfortable). I'm looking for something closed though for commuting and studying/coding.

That's surprising to hear that 2-3 hours is the max you can wear the TMA's though (and disappointing). I can wear my M50s longer than that and was looking for something that could outlast them. Ohh boy, perhaps the search continues. 

:frowning2:

I find my TMA-1s to be very comfortable. I had a 5 hour or so listening session a few days ago with them (as they are my only can at the moment) with no problems. I guess it just depends really...

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #727 of 1,345
I agree with this. I can wear them for very long periods of time as well. For listening for really long periods (+3.5 hrs) I have to adjust them because once the pressure gets to you, all you need to do is reset them on your head and you are fine. Due to the fact they are not metal reinforced the clamping force lessens over long periods, thus making them more comfortable.

Quote:

I find my TMA-1s to be very comfortable. I had a 5 hour or so listening session a few days ago with them (as they are my only can at the moment) with no problems. I guess it just depends really...

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #728 of 1,345
Isn't the comfort thing a very variable thing? I have only had one pair of headphones i couldnøt wear for extended periods of time.  Even with my quite large head the TMA-1 is very comfortable.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #729 of 1,345

Quote:
Isn't the comfort thing a very variable thing? I have only had one pair of headphones i couldnøt wear for extended periods of time.  Even with my quite large head the TMA-1 is very comfortable.

Yeah, all my impressions on comfort are from someone with a big head and glasses. I can't wear the HD 25-1 IIs (very sadly, I might add) because they squueze too hard.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #730 of 1,345
The only comfort problem I had with the TMA-1s was when it lost its clamping force after a couple hours, which was solved with a 15min break. I have a big head, thick glasses, and slightly above average sized ears. Also, I used mine with the 1.5m nuforce cable and I felt that it was a tad long by 6inches.

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #732 of 1,345
tma-1 is even good while wearing fitted hats or snap backs! :) so i dont need to worry  about my hair gotta. i just adjust it a lil bit loose and its all set! im liking the details of the vocals too!
and id say it is one of the sexiest looking portable headphones! on par with beats,ms400 and aviators, with its own unique sleek style. and the bass comes you when you need it.. when you play some rock, the bass doesnt kill the whole song it kinda hides when it needs too.. i dont know what im saying but thats my exp so far

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #733 of 1,345
Hey dfkt, where did you get this cable? Made it?

I've found myself enjoying darker sounding phones lately.. but I think I just bought these now for their looks
blink.gif
Simple and sexy
ph34r.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #735 of 1,345
I'm still using that 'wireless' contraption now and then, it's just practical. :)

The cable is one that came with some portable amp, probably the Corda Headsix, IIRC. Angled plug for the TMA-1 jack and straight plug for the Clip+ works well (since one can still push the volume buttons on the Clip+ that way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back