AIAIAI TMA-1
Apr 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #692 of 1,345
The E7 will mainly give you a little more control over your volume. I did notice that the TMA-1 opened up a little when I added my E7 to the mix though. That 'veil' you hear on lower quality files lifts a little and the TMA becomes a little more forgiving, IMO.

I was in the EXACT boat you were with the 25 vs the TMA. I absolutely love this headphone. I'm actually wearing it in class right now.

Also, glad you liked EQu. It was a god send when I was using my iPad for music for awhile. I love that app to death.

Quote:
I have been searching for the right headphones quite a long time.
Tried the HD25's but the clamping force was way too much for me.
After reading this entire thread I decided to buy the TMA's and I really like them.
They are more comfortable than the HD25's and they sound pretty good to my ears.

I'm considering the purchase of a portable headphone amp with a dac. Is the Fiio E7 a good match with the TMA's?

Great tip! So much better than the default equalizer on my iPhone 4.

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #693 of 1,345
The TMA's are loud enough with my iPhone but more control over the volume would be great.
I will be using the internal dac of the E7 with my macbook.
Plus there is always the option of adding a E9 later.
So I think the E7 is the right amp for me.

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #694 of 1,345

I always recommend it as a jumping off point. For $200 you can get them both (sometimes less), and it starts a portable AND a desktop rig.

And yeah, one of my favorite things about the E7 (or any amp really) is you get VERY precise volume control. I haven't found a DAP yet that has resonable volume jumps from a single click (or drag) of the on board controls.

Quote:
The TMA's are loud enough with my iPhone but more control over the volume would be great.
I will be using the internal dac of the E7 with my macbook.
Plus there is always the option of adding a E9 later.
So I think the E7 is the right amp for me.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #695 of 1,345
What cables do you use for your TMA-1's? And what cables give a darker sound sig? (I prefer darker sounds, since bright sounds kinda irritate me. Sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif
) Thanks! 

I heard Canare mini starquads are dark, but how about Kimber mini-mini? 

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #697 of 1,345
this is going to be a fun experience trying out cables :)
ill try out a blue jeans cable then ill try the one with mic "do they have volume control too and back,next and play button?" that would be awesome

edit: as for amps, i have an E7 and i noticed that it helps with the hissing sound from just using it straight from the iPod or headphones out of a computer. i think it refines the sound a little bit.

im planning to keep this for transportable w/ my laptop. then either buy a E9+E17 or just get the E15 for my Home Setup i hope it can have a lot of input like NuForce HDP and with an updated DAC. cuz i dun want to not have a dac at home when i take the E7 with me, so other people at home can enjoy it too.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #700 of 1,345
Except in extremely rare circumstance with a handful of amps, there's really no reason to use an impedance adapter.  If you have an amp with a high output impedance that is hissing too much, it might make a bit of a difference.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #701 of 1,345
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KitSound-Oxygen-Cable-Stereos-iPhone/dp/B003FMUKW8

Quote:
this is going to be a fun experience trying out cables :)
ill try out a blue jeans cable then ill try the one with mic "do they have volume control too and back,next and play button?" that would be awesome

edit: as for amps, i have an E7 and i noticed that it helps with the hissing sound from just using it straight from the iPod or headphones out of a computer. i think it refines the sound a little bit.

im planning to keep this for transportable w/ my laptop. then either buy a E9+E17 or just get the E15 for my Home Setup i hope it can have a lot of input like NuForce HDP and with an updated DAC. cuz i dun want to not have a dac at home when i take the E7 with me, so other people at home can enjoy it too.

This is the cable I use for my TMA-1 and I love it. It didn't change the sound that noticeably (to me). I got it because it's the length I need (and a sensible one for a portable headphone), and the jacks are low profile. I love that. I used the Ultarsone Short cable for awhile, but the jacks are gigantic and that really bugged me.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #702 of 1,345
Quote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KitSound-Oxygen-Cable-Stereos-iPhone/dp/B003FMUKW8

This is the cable I use for my TMA-1 and I love it. It didn't change the sound that noticeably (to me). I got it because it's the length I need (and a sensible one for a portable headphone), and the jacks are low profile. I love that. I used the Ultarsone Short cable for awhile, but the jacks are gigantic and that really bugged me.

I've been using the official AIAIAI straight cable for a while, but I just ordered one of those KitSound cables based on your recommendation (and for the twin low-profile jacks). For anyone else in the US who's interested, eBay seller moderntech-uk offers them internationally for not-ridiculous prices. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

As for my cable experience with the TMA-1:

Because of its portability, I went directly with the AIAIAI straight cable after receiving my TMA-1s last Christmas. Then recently, on a whim, I decided to give the stock coiled cable a whirl...and I discovered that the straight cable sounded darker and more recessed -- with less bass impact and high-end presence -- than coiled one. I was honestly surprised. "Could the straight cable just be inherently inferior?" I wondered. So, in true scientific(/obsessive) fashion, I ordered a second straight cable right away. Turns out that second cable sounds just as good as the coiled one. I have no idea what's up with the first one (I guess I expected any sort of cable defect to manifest more obviously -- as distortion, or a channel imbalance, or no sound at all)...but I'm glad I randomly had the urge to experiment that day! 
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, is there a specific cable with an in-line mic that people recommend I use with the TMA-1 (and my HTC Incredible)?

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #703 of 1,345
I've been using an Ultrasone Short cable and the KitSound one. The Ultrasone short jacks just piss me off, they're just too big, IMO.

Quote:

I've been using the official AIAIAI straight cable for a while, but I just ordered one of those KitSound cables based on your recommendation (and for the twin low-profile jacks). For anyone else in the US who's interested, eBay seller moderntech-uk offers them internationally for not-ridiculous prices. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

As for my cable experience with the TMA-1:

Because of its portability, I went directly with the AIAIAI straight cable after receiving my TMA-1s last Christmas. Then recently, on a whim, I decided to give the stock coiled cable a whirl...and I discovered that the straight cable sounded darker and more recessed -- with less bass impact and high-end presence -- than coiled one. I was honestly surprised. "Could the straight cable just be inherently inferior?" I wondered. So, in true scientific(/obsessive) fashion, I ordered a second straight cable right away. Turns out that second cable sounds just as good as the coiled one. I have no idea what's up with the first one (I guess I expected any sort of cable defect to manifest more obviously -- as distortion, or a channel imbalance, or no sound at all)...but I'm glad I randomly had the urge to experiment that day! 
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, is there a specific cable with an in-line mic that people recommend I use with the TMA-1 (and my HTC Incredible)?

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #704 of 1,345
Coming (very) late to the conversation, I am getting really interested in these headphones. I just can't seem to get past the price. I currently have some ATH-M50s and they are great. The only problem is they are a little big for traveling with. Also, they tend to bother my glasses after awhile (thick frames). I've been reading through all the posts and reviews on the TMA-1's and it sounds like they might be a perfect solution. I might be looking to trade if anyone if interested :D (or is the price difference too much for a straight trade?)

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #705 of 1,345

Quote:
Coming (very) late to the conversation, I am getting really interested in these headphones. I just can't seem to get past the price. I currently have some ATH-M50s and they are great. The only problem is they are a little big for traveling with. Also, they tend to bother my glasses after awhile (thick frames). I've been reading through all the posts and reviews on the TMA-1's and it sounds like they might be a perfect solution. I might be looking to trade if anyone if interested :D (or is the price difference too much for a straight trade?)

I would say so. It's an $80 difference new. They're my favorite portables that I've owned. I'd say go for it. You get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back