AIAIAI TMA-1
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #676 of 1,345
I am running mine directly out of an x10 mini pro phone. Im order to not hurt my hearing i keep them at 1/2 volume. You can run them out of an iphone no problem. You should consider buying the version from the apple store with a mic and controls inline. The phones are great in the way the chord is just plugged in via a minijack plug in the headphone. This way changing cables is easy.
The sound is veiled because the highs are rolled off. The rest of the spectrum is perfect. The bass and sound signature makes these headphones perfect for modern techno and hip hop. Eq'ing opens them up quite a bit for other genres. Soundstage is more or less non existant. That is the trade off you get for superior bass in closed phone. Btw the bass is perfect. Tight fast deep and powerfull when needed.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #677 of 1,345
thats perfect! you think youcan listen to 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmp6zIr5y4U for hiphop-ish

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A63VwWz1ij0 for rockish? and these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I for acoustic :) if they sound decent sorry theyre only youtube cuz the "the show goes on" has so many things going on iono if they sound good with a small soundstage "CAN" like tma1

Quote:
I am running mine directly out of an x10 mini pro phone. Im order to not hurt my hearing i keep them at 1/2 volume. You can run them out of an iphone no problem. You should consider buying the version from the apple store with a mic and controls inline. The phones are great in the way the chord is just plugged in via a minijack plug in the headphone. This way changing cables is easy.
The sound is veiled because the highs are rolled off. The rest of the spectrum is perfect. The bass and sound signature makes these headphones perfect for modern techno and hip hop. Eq'ing opens them up quite a bit for other genres. Soundstage is more or less non existant. That is the trade off you get for superior bass in closed phone. Btw the bass is perfect. Tight fast deep and powerfull when needed.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #678 of 1,345
I've never used those particular cables, but I've used the Ultrasone iPod Short cable, and a KitSound 1m cable (Amazing). Both of them have done the job quite well. One thing I liked about the Ultrasone short was that you get the option to screw on a 1/4" adapter.

I use the KitSound cable because I am tall and the Ultrasone short is literally about an inch too short for me. And it has noce, low profile jacks.

Quote:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm how does this sound for a replacement cable for the stock coiled? its the msa-1 one 30$ for 4 feet long. anyone had any experience with blue jeans?

ah im so stupid i couldve just edit my other post sorry

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #679 of 1,345
Get good headphones first. They're more versatile and you get a ton more bang for your buck.

And yes, I'd say you'll like the TMA-1s more than (any) of the various Beats models. I know I do.

Quote:
ahh im so tempted.... would i be enjoying these better than Monster Beats pro/studio/solo?

i guess i wnt be upgrading my speaker setup yet ahh very confusing

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #681 of 1,345
Speakers are nice, but the bang for the buck is REALLY tough to justify if you get more into Hi-Fi sound. Hi-Fi Stereo system? $15000 easy. Headphones that sound better than that Hi-Fi Stereo? Quite possibly under $1000 depending on the sound you like (amp and cans).

High end headphones, mid level speakers are where I'm headed. I had a pair of Mackie SRM 450s (A lot of clubs use these monitors), and sold them recently because they aren't practical. I'm a big KRK monitor fan, and plan on getting a newer set of those, along with some D7000s.

Quote:
haha i guess youre right. ill order them now soi can get them asap

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #683 of 1,345
KRK makes great, slightly Bass-y monitors. I absolutely love them. I used them in my (small amount) of production. They're excellent to just listen to as well. They need a sub if you REALLY want bass, but speakers in general do.

A nice source will be good for your speakers, and headphones. That's a great place to start. I'd then suggest (if you feel you need it) a FiiO E9. It's an excellent, cheap, headphone amp. You could take (more) advantage of that DAC you'd be getting.

Quote:
youre ballin! well thats what im planning to get too rp5-8s what do you think?
then probably gd-audio DAC

but then ill get a headphones 1st thanks !

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #684 of 1,345
yeahhh im planning  to use PC>COAX>NFB300>speakers

then i wont have any head amp between so maybe i can add E9 as a preamp in between lol, but yea i already have the E7... howdoesthe E7+E9 work for you powered speakers>? 

Quote:
KRK makes great, slightly Bass-y monitors. I absolutely love them. I used them in my (small amount) of production. They're excellent to just listen to as well. They need a sub if you REALLY want bass, but speakers in general do.

A nice source will be good for your speakers, and headphones. That's a great place to start. I'd then suggest (if you feel you need it) a FiiO E9. It's an excellent, cheap, headphone amp. You could take (more) advantage of that DAC you'd be getting.

EDIT: i can just get e9 for my e7if ifeel like saving money lol

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #685 of 1,345

I'm in between speaker set ups right now. Sold my Mackies and my (old) KRKs. Planning on new KRKs soon enough. Never used the E9 with them.

If you already have an E7 I'd definitely suggest an E9. I love the combo.
Quote:
yeahhh im planning  to use PC>COAX>NFB300>speakers

then i wont have any head amp between so maybe i can add E9 as a preamp in between lol, but yea i already have the E7... howdoesthe E7+E9 work for you powered speakers>? 

EDIT: i can just get e9 for my e7if ifeel like saving money lol

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #686 of 1,345
The first track sonds like it is pretty poor quality.
The bass is incredibly dominant. There is pretty good separation between the Rap, chorus, and the "guitar" is in the background a little to the right. Sounds a bit muffled.
EQ'ing the highs would probably fix this.

The rock song again has quite dominant bass maybe a little muddled, i think this is due to the poor quality cause the music (flac) via my phone always sounds great. The drums sound very tight though. Quite impressive. Vocals are relayed really well.

The last song (funny choice of song) sounds quite great actually :)
IThe TMA-1 really brings out nuances in the singers voice and small differences in the attack on the strings are heard very cleary.

You need to like dark headphones or have a good eq on your phone. If just one of those 2 conditions are met then you will get a very high resolving phone with very good nuanced bass and mids.

I would personally get something different if I had to pay full price. Mostly because I want less of a dark sound. I have been very happy with it even though it has a dark sound. For me the dark sound is just such a drawback I was thankful to get a good discount. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #687 of 1,345
Ohh on the beats versus these babies?
Take the TMA-1 the bass is awesome (which is what the beats are known for) but the bass doesn't dominate or encroach on the rest of the sound.
The looks are a matter of opinion. I love the look of beats phones, but the TMA is gorgeous also and feels great in the hands with the smooth rubber coating.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #688 of 1,345
yeah thanks! the ipods EQ on treble boost isnt that bad at all though. im sjut trying to get 159.00$ for a new one and or 149 for an openbox  from proaudiostar.. i hope they give it to me for that price :frowning2: how good was your deal? if you dont mind

is 169 good for a new one?

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #689 of 1,345

That's a good point for a new one. I was going to get them for 170 new on eBay, but I ended up buying for 200 on Amazon because I love their return policies and such.
Quote:
yeah thanks! the ipods EQ on treble boost isnt that bad at all though. im sjut trying to get 159.00$ for a new one and or 149 for an openbox  from proaudiostar.. i hope they give it to me for that price :frowning2: how good was your deal? if you dont mind

is 169 good for a new one?

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #690 of 1,345
I have been searching for the right headphones quite a long time.
Tried the HD25's but the clamping force was way too much for me.
After reading this entire thread I decided to buy the TMA's and I really like them.
They are more comfortable than the HD25's and they sound pretty good to my ears.

I'm considering the purchase of a portable headphone amp with a dac. Is the Fiio E7 a good match with the TMA's?

Quote:
iPhone? You can use TMA-1s for Hip-Hop if you download EQu. A

dds an actually good equalizer to the iPhone. It's a really amazing app. Does wonders.

Great tip! So much better than the default equalizer on my iPhone 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back