AIAIAI TMA-1
Apr 18, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #751 of 1,345
Well, I'll give them that. They're very light and fairly comfortable for the size of the pads. This is very initial, but I'm not sure I dig them with my Cowon D2+.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #752 of 1,345
Well, I'll give them that. They're very light and fairly comfortable for the size of the pads. This is very initial, but I'm not sure I dig them with my Cowon D2+.

I really like them with the J3 alone. I was amping through the E7 for awhile and then I realized that straight out of the J3 sounded even better.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #753 of 1,345
I have had my TMA-1's for a little over a month and love them.  I have no problem with the clamping and have not found them to be as veiled as what other people make them out to be; though, I have found that they open up a little with some minor eq'ing.  The bass is tight and clean and they are very fast. I also have the Beyerdynamic T50P's and love them as well but for different reasons - mainly amazing clarity and smooth highs. Both are great headphones.  However, I will need to sell one and can't decide which.  Any recommendations on a process of elimination.  I'm thinking about positing them both on the "For Sale" forum and letting the community decide.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #754 of 1,345
I have had my TMA-1's for a little over a month and love them.  I have no problem with the clamping and have not found them to be as veiled as what other people make them out to be; though, I have found that they open up a little with some minor eq'ing.  The bass is tight and clean and they are very fast. I also have the Beyerdynamic T50P's and love them as well but for different reasons - mainly amazing clarity and smooth highs. Both are great headphones.  However, I will need to sell one and can't decide which.  Any recommendations on a process of elimination.  I'm thinking about positing them both on the "For Sale" forum and letting the community decide.

I am having the same problem right now. I only have room for one portable headphone in my life and while I adore my TMA-1...I'm just not sure it's the right headphone for the job.

It works with some music, and it just doesn't with others. Sounds amazing for my Electronic and small amount of Hip Hop. Sounds pretty good with bass centric Jazz and Funk too...

But I've found myself listening to Folk music through them lately and they're just too dark.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #755 of 1,345
Have you tried adjusting the eq?  I know a lot of purist are opposed to this but it really helps.

I really like the TMA-1 and would have no problem keeping it for all types of music.  I also really like the t50p and would have no trouble keeping it either.  Thus my dilemma.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #756 of 1,345
Have you tried adjusting the eq?  I know a lot of purist are opposed to this but it really helps.

I really like the TMA-1 and would have no problem keeping it for all types of music.  I also really like the t50p and would have no trouble keeping it either.  Thus my dilemma.

Oh no. I love EQ options. The problem that I find with the TMA and Folk-y stuff is that you can't EQ out the darkness no matter how hard you try. You can make it sound better through EQ, definately...but after everything I've tried I just can't find a place that I am satisfied with as far as those genres go.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #757 of 1,345
I have to agree that TMA-1s are a bit dark for folk and certain acoustic music as well as female vocal jazz. Just me though. Luckily I have my HJE900s that fill that gap, because the TMA-1s are smashing for almost everything else I listen to.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #759 of 1,345
OK, so I am starting to like these now.. wearing them at work and they are responding really well to Cowon's BBE and Mach3Bass settings with flat EQ. Anyone feel like sharing their EQ settings with the TMA-1 and Cowon software? I've only listened to some stuff (Hieroglyphics and Plastician), but if they pass my hip hop and electropop favorites, I'll most likely keep them. Although, I won't lie.. I am eyeing the HD25-1 II.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #760 of 1,345
OK, so I am starting to like these now.. wearing them at work and they are responding really well to Cowon's BBE and Mach3Bass settings with flat EQ. Anyone feel like sharing their EQ settings with the TMA-1 and Cowon software? I've only listened to some stuff (Hieroglyphics and Plastician), but if they pass my hip hop and electropop favorites, I'll most likely keep them. Although, I won't lie.. I am eyeing the HD25-1 II.

IMO, the HD 25-1 II will never be as comfortable. They didn't fit me, but I think the headband in general and the vlamp for will wear anyone down after awhile. Although they're a better all rounder (again, IMO).

As far as the Cowon EQ stuff goes I used quite a bit of BBE and Mach3Bass. The only other thing I did was bump up some of the mids and highs by 1.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #761 of 1,345
Yea, I did something very similar. Man these respond really well to EQing. I love it! My designated hip hop / electropop cans now
basshead.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #762 of 1,345
Alrighty! im am done with my review! It sucks because i rushed it but i really have no time to do a proper review. this is it: http://www.head-fi.org/products/aiaiai-tma-1/reviews/5006 :)

EDIT: have fun with the tiny font! , also added a picture for you guys to enjoy.

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #763 of 1,345
I can't say I've read every review though from the ones I've read no one has actually specifically mentioned its ability in instrument seperation and speed, if anyone can comment on this it'd be great. Thanks!

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #764 of 1,345
I absolutely love mine. I havent done any critical listening yet(crappy bitrate music so far), but they are fantastic. To me, they are the triple.fi's of the portable cans; which is my alltime favorite IEM. Dark and full-bodied texture, with an airy presence. The only difference would be the TF10's are a little more effortless when presenting highs, where the TMA-1 is a bit more thunderous(without sounding wompy/woofy). Because of their recessed mids, they can be worn for several hours without feeling the slightest fatigue to the ears; although I understand some people arent very fond of the hollow presentation it can give off. They absolutely shine with trance, dub-step, and virtually anything electronic. These are an excellent compliment to my HD555's(for when I dont want to fidget with IEM's)
I am very impressed with these little guys and can see why they're worth the $200. For what I paid, I feel like I got away with murder

PS: my only concern is potential damage to my hearing, as these headphones are very good at hyping me up.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #765 of 1,345

Quote:
I can't say I've read every review though from the ones I've read no one has actually specifically mentioned its ability in instrument seperation and speed, if anyone can comment on this it'd be great. Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but is separation the ability to distinguish different instruments easily? if so, then yes; they are very good at doing that.
I havent heard them significantly struggle; although they can sound a little off when blasting them at insane volumes (but this could change with more burn in, or a better source and amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back