AIAIAI TMA-1
Jul 14, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,231 of 1,345
As much as I like mine, I tried using them in school for an intro to music production course & they didn't really make life any easier.
imho I should have just splurged on a pair of sony 7506 or senn 280pro.

Yeah, my recent forays into head fi(ing) myself into better headphones hasn't really turned out as I hoped. I think it may be best just to stick with the tried and true classics for studio applications.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #1,232 of 1,345
Just don't hesitate to break out the tma's after the studio work!
It's hard to scrutinize with them on.. everything sounds good to me.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,234 of 1,345
Got my TMA-2 on Friday, I really enjoying them. I couldn't find a pre configured version I liked so I ordered the parts I wanted from a dealer, which also gave me a box for them. My configuration is the H71 headband, C71 cord, S03 speakers and the E05 pads. Really like the this combination, I'll probably get the S01 and S04 speakers also to try out. I wanted a warm sound since these are primarily used on my computer.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #1,235 of 1,345
I just got the Philips A1pro, really liking them, more balanced mids and treble than the Aiaiai's, yet the bass kicks harder on the A1pro 
blink.gif
 Ordered the A5pro also!

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,237 of 1,345
Got my TMA-2 on Friday, I really enjoying them. I couldn't find a pre configured version I liked so I ordered the parts I wanted from a dealer, which also gave me a box for them. My configuration is the H71 headband, C71 cord, S03 speakers and the E05 pads. Really like the this combination, I'll probably get the S01 and S04 speakers also to try out. I wanted a warm sound since these are primarily used on my computer.

Aren't the C71 & H71 from the YG edition?
Neat, I didn't know they could sell those separately.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,238 of 1,345
Aren't the C71 & H71 from the YG edition?
Neat, I didn't know they could sell those separately.

I believe so, yeah seem to not sell them on their website but I found them from a retailer, I like the red colored cords.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #1,239 of 1,345
Hello guys, I've read at least a dozen pages of this thread but still have a few questions if somebody can please let me know:

How does the TMA-1 compare to the TMA-2 in terms of sound? Also how does the sound compare to any of these on-ear 'cans: DT 1350, HD-25, Beoplay H6, T51i or Thinksound ON1?

In a nutshell, with some of the main on-ears I've owned:
DT 1350            refined with good FR, but too mid-centric and somewhat lacking detail
Thinksound ON1 broader FR, yet with bloated boomy bass and overly-energetic highs
Phiaton PS 320  thin sound with recessed lows and artificial highs
Senn. PX 200    decent, yet somewhat muddy
AKG K 430        very mid centric and muddy

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,240 of 1,345
Hello guys, I've read at least a dozen pages of this thread but still have a few questions if somebody can please let me know:

How does the TMA-1 compare to the TMA-2 in terms of sound? Also how does the sound compare to any of these on-ear 'cans: DT 1350, HD-25, Beoplay H6, T51i or Thinksound ON1?

In a nutshell, with some of the main on-ears I've owned:
DT 1350            refined with good FR, but too mid-centric and somewhat lacking detail
TMA-1              broader FR, yet with bloated boomy bass and overly-energetic highs
Phiaton PS 320  thin sound with recessed lows and artificial highs
Senn. PX 200    decent, yet somewhat muddy
AKG K 430        very mid centric and muddy

Maybe others can chime in about the models you've listed for comparisons, I have not heard them.

Did you have the TMA-1 DJ/Studio/YG?

The TMA-2 is really just 20 sound combinations. 4 drivers x 5 ear-pads.

So any comparisons are a bit tedious because not everyone will have every 20 combinations on hand...yet :wink:

The TMA-2 & TMA-1 are identical in one of the configurations, differing in the other 19.

I am only 22, but a drummer, so I didn't notice "energetic highs" as you put it regarding the TMA-1.
But the bass is VERY present, as they should for touring DJ's needing to beatmatch.
Over-ear leather pads (E04?) on my TMA-1 tame the conductivity the bass had because, well, it's not going straight to my ears.

If I were you, I'd try the S01 balanced (neutral) or S03 warm (sub bass) speaker units, with a set of over ear pads & see what you think.
If you don't like it I'll buy it off of you!

( Edit: if you're only looking for on-ear variations of the TMA-2, then I'm not sure if any units besides the S01 or S04(?) will avoid boomy bass. Not that I really want to admit it's boomy. *coddles headphones & tells them they're perfect in every way* )

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,241 of 1,345
Hello @WitzyZed, I've updated my previous post to say that I have owned the Thinksound ON1, rather than the TMA-1; this was an error, my impressions for the ON1 werre actually referring to the TMA-1.

Thus being said, I've still never tried the TMA-1 or 2, so I'm wondering about how the bass presentation is, in terms of punchyness, quantity, definition, etc. I'm just hoping it's not a basshead headphone, and that it can overcome the shortcomings of the other headphones I've listed above.

I'm also unclear on the config. of the TMA-2: their website gave me the impression that you only get to choose 1 driver and 1 earpad to be shipped to you. Are you telling me that the price includes 4 drivers and 5 earpads? Thanks!

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,242 of 1,345
No, the price is for a pair of speakers(drivers), a pair of ear pads, a cable and the band. What you choose with the speakers and pads will change the sound.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,243 of 1,345

This being said, I've still never tried the TMA-1 or 2, so I'm wondering about how the bass presentation is, in terms of punchyness, quantity, definition, etc. I'm just hoping it's not a basshead headphone, and that it can overcome the shortcomings of the other headphones I've listed above.

I have all the drivers and earpads, imo for balanced sound the S02 driver + E05 earpads work well, or E04 earpads if you want bump in bass. I'm not a massive fan of the S01 driver, sounds a bit plasticky, and the S04 driver sounds overblown, my favorite driver is S02 for a fairly balanced and dynamic sound followed by S03 if I want a smoother sound with more bass and less treble.

If you want a step up in SQ from these I would highly recommend the Philips A5-Pro, very balanced sound but very enjoyable because the balance comes from bass, mids and treble all being bumped just a tad for a dynamic and spacious sound.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,244 of 1,345
Two new options for pads are available: over-ear E06 and on-ear E07. They call the material 'Leatherette'... maybe I'll try the E06 and use that opportunity to order some S02 drivers as the S04 is a bit too heavy sounding to me...

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,245 of 1,345
Not a big fan of leatherette pads, I have been thinking of getting some of the s02 speakers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back