AIAIAI TMA-1
Jun 15, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,201 of 1,345
For details, I feel the S01 is better. Have tried the S01 with E03, the sound is pretty clear over the bass, mids and highs.S01 plus E03 has a stronger bass but still keep the clarity and comfortable. S04 is more dynamic and the sound is brighter (similar to TMA-1 Studio YG Edition that I like).
Sorry that I do not know about the transient responds. May see if ther others can help or refer to AIAIAI's website and over there each combinaton has recommended the suitable genres.
L3000.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,202 of 1,345

Thanks. I have heard they're quite fast on response but as with anything on this website, it's all relative to people's experiences. Just noticed there's a store here in Sydney where you can demo at least one of them out. When I get some time I'll check them out and report back.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,203 of 1,345
So the S01 is the "balanced response" driver, but it costs the least of the four options.
I'd try it in person if you could. I don't want to imply lesser price is lesser performance, since I haven't heard it myself. Earpads definitely will effect the detail, too.
I don't know if AIAIAI put out THD% measurements for the TMA-2 driver units, but the original TMA-1 had .3%, while the YG (brighter drivers) had .35%. Also the Ghostly Edition had .1%.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,204 of 1,345
So the S01 is the "balanced response" driver, but it costs the least of the four options.
I'd try it in person if you could. I don't want to imply lesser price is lesser performance, since I haven't heard it myself. Earpads definitely will effect the detail, too.
I don't know if AIAIAI put out THD% measurements for the TMA-2 driver units, but the original TMA-1 had .3%, while the YG (brighter drivers) had .35%. Also the Ghostly Edition had .1%.

S01 does have the most balanced sound and is the best value. It costs money to add the Titanium coating to S02 and S03, this lowers distortion, but also colors the sound to be darker. The difference between S03 and S02 is the vented driver, S02 is midbass focused, S03 is subbass, imo S03 would be better for dubstep while S02 better for trance. It also costs money for S04 which has an extra sensitive voice coil, this increases transient response and punchiness, but doesn't help distortion, and looses out on smoothness compared to the other drivers. So each have their own advantages, S01 is the best all rounder, and also the best value, because even though it is cheaper it is not lesser than the others.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #1,205 of 1,345

S01 does have the most balanced sound and is the best value. It costs money to add the Titanium coating to S02 and S03, this lowers distortion, but also colors the sound to be darker. The difference between S03 and S02 is the vented driver, S02 is midbass focused, S03 is subbass, imo S03 would be better for dubstep while S02 better for trance. It also costs money for S04 which has an extra sensitive voice coil, this increases transient response and punchiness, but doesn't help distortion, and looses out on smoothness compared to the other drivers. So each have their own advantages, S01 is the best all rounder, and also the best value, because even though it is cheaper it is not lesser than the others.

Totally agree.
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,206 of 1,345

Can this be sticky'd please?
GREAT info to know.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,207 of 1,345
I did mention that I *really* like them, right?

Some more parts to play with (not all for me, note the duplicates :wink:
I just assembled S04 / E04 / H02 / C06 and my first impression is that it rivals the DT770/80 for bass impact and structure, but with a slightly different signature. I'd say bass starts higher up with the TMA-2 (while the DT770 has more of a U-shape) and treble is not as nicely structured. I do like the fact that bass is strong, but not without details.

Comparing the S04/E04 combination with my older S03/E04 the S03 seems to have a bit less bass, which I actually like a bit better... I'm no basshead and even a bit sensitive in that regard. TH900 is too much for me, can't enjoy it for longer... but thats at home while I use the TMA-2 mostly on the go.

Had a short listen with the velour on-ear pads (E03) as well, did not like them that much though... killing too much treble for my taste. But quite comfortable and of course much more compact than the over-ears.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #1,208 of 1,345
I did mention that I *really* like them, right?

Some more parts to play with (not all for me, note the duplicates :wink:
I just assembled S04 / E04 / H02 / C06 and my first impression is that it rivals the DT770/80 for bass impact and structure, but with a slightly different signature. I'd say bass starts higher up with the TMA-2 (while the DT770 has more of a U-shape) and treble is not as nicely structured. I do like the fact that bass is strong, but not without details.

Comparing the S04/E04 combination with my older S03/E04 the S03 seems to have a bit less bass, which I actually like a bit better... I'm no basshead and even a bit sensitive in that regard. TH900 is too much for me, can't enjoy it for longer... but thats at home while I use the TMA-2 mostly on the go.

Had a short listen with the velour on-ear pads (E03) as well, did not like them that much though... killing too much treble for my taste. But quite comfortable and of course much more compact than the over-ears.

AIAIAI just started a promotion for TMA-1 owners, 30% off an order from the webstore, I really hope you didn't buy all of this before that started...

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,210 of 1,345
If I get cleared for a 30% off voucher on a pair, I may just get one.

If I want something like my ATH M50's but with slightly punchier bass and good overall balance without an overly recessed midrange, what parts would you all recommend?

I'm leaning towards S04-H03-E04-C05. Does this match what I want?

How is the durability on the TMA-2? Does the matte scratch easily or degrade like it did back on the early TMA-1's?

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #1,211 of 1,345
AIAIAI just started a promotion for TMA-1 owners, 30% off an order from the webstore, I really hope you didn't buy all of this before that started...

I ordered before that, but I got a good price anyway. Still a nice opportunity to stock up...

If I get cleared for a 30% off voucher on a pair, I may just get one.

If I want something like my ATH M50's but with slightly punchier bass and good overall balance without an overly recessed midrange, what parts would you all recommend?

I'm leaning towards S04-H03-E04-C05. Does this match what I want?

How is the durability on the TMA-2? Does the matte scratch easily or degrade like it did back on the early TMA-1's?

To me the S04+E04 combination is a bit over the top, i.e. too much midbass (it still reaches deep, overall fuller than the S03+E04 combination), but it might fit your bill.
Don't know about peeling, but I have several TMA-1 and TMA-2 models that did not exhibit that problem so far. Plus the headbands got better / more elastic with recent revisions (later TMA-1)

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,212 of 1,345

I ordered before that, but I got a good price anyway. Still a nice opportunity to stock up...

To me the S04+E04 combination is a bit over the top, i.e. too much midbass (it still reaches deep, overall fuller than the S03+E04 combination), but it might fit your bill.
Don't know about peeling, but I have several TMA-1 and TMA-2 models that did not exhibit that problem so far. Plus the headbands got better / more elastic with recent revisions (later TMA-1)

So your recommendation would be the S03-E04?

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,213 of 1,345

So your recommendation would be the S03-E04?

I can't judge on your taste of course, but I like S03+E04 best. S04+E04 has a bit more bass I'd say, so if thats your cup of tea go for it. Its not night and day though.
The padded headband H03 does indeed have better comfort.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,214 of 1,345
I have the TMA-1 stone throw and it´s rather bassy and laid back in the top. Midrange is actually quite forward but it´s not very clear. To you who have listened to all the drivers, which one would you say the stone throw is?

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,215 of 1,345
  I have the TMA-1 stone throw and it´s rather bassy and laid back in the top. Midrange is actually quite forward but it´s not very clear. To you who have listened to all the drivers, which one would you say the stone throw is?

Stone throw should come from the DJ series, so I think the driver is S02.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back