AIAIAI TMA-1
May 30, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,186 of 1,345
  Just gave my Ghostly and my TMA-2 a short listen... the Ghostly is more intimate, with a bit more upper bass and warmer, less treble. Until you change the pads that is... I'm not fast enough to change them for a reliable comparison and don't have spare pads of either kind on me, but I'd say the driver used in the Ghostly is more or less the S03.

Kewl, S03 it is. I'l probably get both the over ear pads, E04 Leather and E05 Microfiber, to mix up the sound of the ghostly when I want. But dang it's kinda crazy to spend $100 on pads for a $200 headphone (I got mine on sale) 
biggrin.gif

Btw, have you tried the young guru pads (E05) on the ghostly?

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,193 of 1,345
  the only tma-1s worth getting are the ghotly and young-guru editions. others will either break or break your head. 

Soundwise, I think 1X is also good. Natural and smooth even though the small and thin earpad is not comfortable. But replacing the earpad with a TMA-1 DJ, sound becomes amazing and much better fit to ears.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,194 of 1,345
  Soundwise, I think 1X is also good. Natural and smooth even though the small and thin earpad is not comfortable. But replacing the earpad with a TMA-1 DJ, sound becomes amazing and much better fit to ears.

Which I see as the really interesting part of the TMA-2: mix and match. And get replacement parts easily.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #1,195 of 1,345
Got my Ghostly's, they sound great, the bass is really darn clear and tight even though boosted, and the mids and highs are still very clear, works great for some Tycho 
biggrin.gif

Also I had no idea how nice these headphones were going to feel in hand, the leather is 
evil_smiley.gif
 the fabric cable is 
evil_smiley.gif
 could touch this stuff all day lol.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,196 of 1,345
The first day with that pair is really something special.

Also recommend giving this a spin...

v

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,198 of 1,345
  One picture I did while comparing the three TMAs I have...

Only thing I miss with the TMA-2: those nice cable spirals going up from the cups. Its there, just not enough space to show due to the plugs. Oh well...

Nice combos there!!!

One thing, how are the new leather over eear pads compared to original YG? I have the original YG and the new leather over ear are very interesting ( mainly better noise isoation).

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,199 of 1,345
Haha.......my new toys .....
atsmile.gif

S01+E03

Surprise....the velour earpad is a bit hard. But the sound is really more open than the DJ earpads. The bass, mids and highs are more clear.

S04+E04

Another set with leather over-the-ear cushion is much comfortable. I feel the sound is somewhat similar to TMA-1 Studio with more dynamic.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,200 of 1,345
  Haha.......my new toys .....
atsmile.gif

I'm so heavily tempted by these ...

Was hoping you could give some advice, how is the level of detail and transient response (I'm after something that doesn't blend notes together on fast electronica/metal) across the S01 (these are like the original TMA-1s right?) and the S04?

Which one has the fastest transient response among them in your experience?

I believe the Aiaiai's are supposed to have a quick transient response but I was hoping to pick the best of the bunch for that :D

I recently picked up the Amperiors (HD-25s) but I've realized those are a bit too slow for my taste, hoping these might be a nice replacement. The fact they have circumaural cup options is also a huge plus.

Many thanks!

-------------

On a related note, if you go to the configurator on their website you will see they give a sound profile for each earpad and speaker configuration:

http://aiaiai.dk/configurator

If you take S01 / E01 as flat/neutral like they do:

S02 - Less Treble
S03 - More Bass, Less Treble
S04 - More Bass, Less Mids, Less Treble

E02 - More Bass
E03 - Less Bass, More Treble
E04 - Less Mids, More Treble
E05 - Less Bass, More Treble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back