AIAIAI TMA-1
Nov 28, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #1,261 of 1,345
There is also the actual build quality revision of TMA-1, it is impossible to tell until you touch the headphone, the newer TMA-1's have a very smooth satin like rubber coating, the older ones have a slightly stickier rubber coating, it doesn't feel anywhere as nice or durable and gives the impression it could peel off with use compared to the newer one.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,264 of 1,345

As you can see I want to buy a second hand TMA-1, and I like to know how I can differ revision 2 of the revision 1 version. I don't know where the cable lock is situated. I have some links, maybee you can tell me which revisions these TMA-1's are?

http://link.marktplaats.nl/m989321081 (Link I provided earlier, with 3 button apple iOS cable, inclusing 3 pads. This one has a coiled cable betwean spreeker and headband, so this is revision 1?)
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m987326861 (This one has a straight cable between speaker and band, so revision 2? It is provided with a curled jack cable, the owner told me)
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m984447871 (G-Star edition with coiled cable between speaker and headband an coiled audio cable)
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m985481908 (Beatport edition, cables are the same as G-star edition)
http://link.marktplaats.nl/m986560655 (cables are the same as the Beatport and G-Star editions)

Edit: Sorry, the second link is not the TMA-1 but the TMA-1 x, now I see it on the box.

Many thanks for this clarification. Is there ant TA-1 that sounds more or less like the S01 version of the TMA-2? Maybee the revision 2?

S01 is the TMA-1X driver which has a more balance sound signature.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #1,265 of 1,345
I'm talking about when aiaiai said they had finally fixed the headbands (for the second time), all tma-1 had cable locks at this point, I believe it was 2014, my tma-1 beatport edition and tma-1 young guru are from before the fix, and my tma-1 ghostly edition are from after the fix, all tma-2 are also fixed, the ghostly has a slightly springier headband and slightly smoother rubber finish than the older versions, most of the tma-1 on the market are probably the older version, safest thing is to get a tma-2, but nothing wrong with the older version other than there is a chance your headband will break or rubber will flake, oh wait, that sucks.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,266 of 1,345
  I remember the cable lock function has started to implement from rev.2. So, rev.1 has no cable lock and can be straightly pulled out from the phone.

How does this cable lock works? Do you have to twist the cable before you can unlock? If I know this I can check/ask the seller.

S01 is the TMA-1X driver which has a more balance sound signature.

Ah, good to know! I have checked the TMA-1X also but I don't know if it's possible to use the TMA-2 pads on the TMA-1 X? Maybee you know?

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,267 of 1,345

How does this cable lock works? Do you have to twist the cable before you can unlock? If I know this I can check/ask the seller.

Ah, good to know! I have checked the TMA-1X also but I don't know if it's possible to use the TMA-2 pads on the TMA-1 X? Maybee you know?

Correct! Plug in and twist to lock the cable. Twist to other side to unlock the cable before pulling out.

I find that the TMA-1 DJ has four small rubber rings on the driver plate to hold tight with the cushion. But my TMA-1x doesn't come with the rings as the earpad sit onto the driver plate with some kind of adhesive tape (understand 1x is a low cost version). So, TMA-2's earpads(on-the-ear cushion) may not be able to mount to TMA-1x. Why not go straight to buy a TMA-2 with the TMA-1x driver (S01)?
beyersmile.png

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,268 of 1,345
  Correct! Plug in and twist to lock the cable. Twist to other side to unlock the cable before pulling out.

So, TMA-2's earpads(on-the-ear cushion) may not be able to mount to TMA-1x. Why not go straight to buy a TMA-2 with the TMA-1x driver (S01)?
beyersmile.png

Oh thanks, the seller has a revision 2 model, he has to twist and unlock the cable.
I skip the TMA-1X. Sure it's the most logical to buy a new TMA-2 but that's more expensive then a second hand revision 2 TMA-1. :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,269 of 1,345

Oh thanks, the seller has a revision 2 model, he has to twist and unlock the cable.
I skip the TMA-1X. Sure it's the most logical to buy a new TMA-2 but that's more expensive then a second hand revision 2 TMA-1. :)

That's also a good choice. BTW, TMA-1 DJ is a funny phone, you can mod it if you feel it's too bassy and dark.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,271 of 1,345
  I've decided to also buy a TMA-2, because of the 25% off they're offering now. If the TMA-1 is not of my liking (also after modding), I can sell it myself. Beforehand I can experiment with other paddings...

If the on-ear pads are too dark, try one of the over-ear pads... to me they are *much* more balanced (except when combined with the S04 driver which is too bassy for my taste).

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,272 of 1,345
That's what I want to do, I'm ordering the E04 leather pad. I also want to order another over ear pad, but I doubt about the E05 microfiber or the E06 leatherette. Which one would you advise?
The second hand comes with only on ear pads.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,273 of 1,345
That's what I want to do, I'm ordering the E04 leather pad. I also want to order another over ear pad, but I doubt about the E05 microfiber or the E06 leatherette. Which one would you advise?
The second hand comes with only on ear pads.

I use mainly the E04 over-ear leather (or pleather, don't know) and like them better than the E05 microfibre. I have yet to test the E06, those are quite new.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,274 of 1,345
I own a pair of the beatport TMA-1's and I would just like to say that after owning them for about a year and a half they broke. Straight down the middle of the headband. I take pretty good care of my stuff (less so with portable headphones) and so I believe this was just due to wear and tear. I noticed they made a cracking sound once when putting them on my head (A not particularly huge one) and then they only continued to crack more after about a month of use. Eventually they broke fully in half.

With that being said I loved those headphones and I think they are some of the best around for their cost. I also own a pair of SOL Republic Tracks HD and absolutely hate them. It blows my mind that they can even dare sell those headphones for as much as the TMA-2's. I bought a pair of TMA-2's for a family member and got to listen to them before gifting them. From what I remember they had just an extra bit of refinement that I liked. I always was a fan of the big bass on the TMA-1's that some how managed to not muddy the mids too much, and I like it even more on the TMA-2's.

These are a great pair of travel/"cheap" headphones and recommend them highly.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,275 of 1,345
  I own a pair of the beatport TMA-1's and I would just like to say that after owning them for about a year and a half they broke. Straight down the middle of the headband. I take pretty good care of my stuff (less so with portable headphones) and so I believe this was just due to wear and tear. I noticed they made a cracking sound once when putting them on my head (A not particularly huge one) and then they only continued to crack more after about a month of use. Eventually they broke fully in half.

I remember some early models had some material problems... did you contact AIAIAI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back