7 drum hits -> What do you hear?
Jun 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #76 of 109

Quote:
or my hearing? o.O

It might be your hearing. As a guitarist, I tune and discern music layers with my right ear. I hear conversations with my left. I hear differently in each ear. It might be causing the music file to play tricks with me. The left drum hits seem to sound different than the right.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #77 of 109
I hear the second spacing pattern.

JVC HARX900 straight out of my Dell Dimension.

Can anyone name the wood species of the drum and what type of heads used?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #78 of 109

Quote:

So why can't we get a sound and spatial imaging like speakers? Is it the lack of a natural crossfeed?

It's the lack of a room.

Take even a small 12' x 12' room thats not ideal for accurate sound which is where I have my audio rig and get satisfactory results.

Now compare to the space between the headphone driver and your ear.

Which "room" is larger?

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #79 of 109

Quote:
Well of course they shouldn't sound right. But I positioned the left speaker to play directly to my left ear, and the right speaker to play directly to my right ear. Just like headphones! ... sort of

About the 7 drum hits file, it seems to be corrupt when I download it. But when I play it through browser, I get a mix of the top and bottom with Yulong D100 --> Radius DDM
I tried it with 2 more alright earphones and for some reason, I keep getting something that looks like this:
•  • • •••     •  

The first 3 are evenly spaced out. But as it proceeds more right, it gets much much closer until I can barely discern the positions and then it suddenly hard pans right. This happened to all 3 phones I used, with the best one (Radius DDM) being least effected. A problem with my hardware... or my hearing? o.O

I just tried the file again and on my end it's good and not showing any signs of acting wacky corrupt. If I were you I'd check your gear or go see a doctor and get your hearing checked
blink.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #81 of 109
Heard the second on both my z1000/ad1000prm

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #82 of 109
I heard the second with my M50's and PX-100II.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #83 of 109
I have the strangest sound i think..lol...for me its like the second one but instead of it being to the far side, it sounds like its slightly to the back of my headphones the drums sound to me perfectly distanced but the last ones sound as if they are placed slightly to the back. Sounds like this to me. Red representing what i hear at ear level and the raised ones behind.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #85 of 109
Xonar DS > Sennheiser HD558. I can clearly make out the first one, although the spacing is not that even. The first and last hits sound a bit more distanced than the rest, but still nothing like the second picture.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #86 of 109
XM6 > SE530

With no crossfeed I get the second.  With the crossfeed dialed into the right place I get something more like first but with drums placed closer together.  A smaller stage but much more even positioning.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #87 of 109
First, Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro > Sony MDR-F1 Open air stereo Headphones (My computer cans of choice)

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #90 of 109
Fiio E7 > Denon D2000     •     •   • • •   •     •

Users who are viewing this thread

Back