38 Portable Amps Review
Jan 13, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #151 of 213
The 3rd post contains the overall rankings, and as I add additional amps or revisions they get incorporated into said list. Also any new additions are added at the end of the 3rd post w/ a date followed by the amps/comments.

I will change the green color to something less garish!
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #152 of 213
Ok, I am confused. Where is the ranking for the amp in you newest post besides the P2? You listened to a high and low gain but where is it or have I overlooked it? For me it would be easier to have the date of the ranking above the ranking so I know that it is as of a certain date but I am always sure which ranking to look at as there are several in the 3rd post.

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #153 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I am confused. Where is the ranking for the amp in you newest post besides the P2? You listened to a high and low gain but where is it or have I overlooked it? For me it would be easier to have the date of the ranking above the ranking so I know that it is as of a certain date but I am always sure which ranking to look at as there are several in the 3rd post.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/33-...3/#post3136767

Look at number 7

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #154 of 213
Ooooh, ok I see it. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #155 of 213
Quote:

Ooooh, ok I see it. Thanks!

I found it hard to find at first since the full 'Graham Slee Voyager' isn't written so Ctrl F'ing that didn't work.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #156 of 213
UPDATE - March 8, 2008

It has been a long time since I have posted on this thread. Many amps have come and gone since and of those I will be writing a bit on:

- MiniBox-E+
- iQube
- Predator
- Pico

If you compare this latest set of 4 amps there is no doubt tha the MiniBox-E+ is the ugly duckling. The iQube exudes elegance, the Pico pizzaz, and the Predator tank like quality. The iQube is the largest but still small as compared to other units like the LaRocco, or the Xenos. The reamining three are small w/ the Pico having an edge.

In this review I am only comparing the amp section of this 4 new amps and not their dacs. I should mention that Boomana was present and she brought the Stax Portable Electrostatic amp/can unit. Lots of clarity and detail. However the bass was a bit light. This stax will not be included in the comparison since it is for dyanmic amps.

To me and I believe also for Vorlon1 and Boomana the MiniBox-E+ was a very eye opening experience that such an small and relatively inexpensive unit (about $180) could sound so good. Well it does and IMO just about every one should own one. The Minibox-E+ allows op-amp rolling, a task that I hope to start soon.

The iQube was somewhat of a dispointment, I had high hopes for this amp and based on looks, quality of construction, features and size it should have been in the top 5. However its sound which was not bad was lackluster and at a $500 premium I felt the other three offer way bette value. A few have reviewed this unit and have given it a very high mark, since I respect their opinion I expected the iQube to be ranked as high by myself as well.

The impact and bass of the Predator is in lines w/ Ray's house sound. If you do not need a dac go and get a Hornet unless you listen to Jazz/Classical in which case I would suggest the SR71. BTW, the SR71 is one of my favorite portable amps of all time. I will start looking for one soon.

The Pico is a beautiful amp, just begs to e placed on a display. However it is not my cup of tea. I should mention that I did try it as a dac and as such it is amazing. If you are looking for an amp/dac combo in an ultra miniature size give the Pico a lot of consideration. I have not listened to the new iBasso D2 but even if it sounds better it is a larger unit.

That is for it now. The adventure continues. Note: Any of the top 15 amps on the list will make anyone happy.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #157 of 213
Miguel, what happened to the P2? It was second in ranking as far as I recall.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #158 of 213
What are the rankings then? I still find it hard to figure out the latest list of 1 through whatever number in the rankings. Thank you for all of the work, or was it pleasure?

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #159 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, what happened to the P2? It was second in ranking as far as I recall.

I have had an slight change of heart w/ the P2. However w/ the op-amps that are on the way it may move back up.
wink.gif

Quote:

What are the rankings then? I still find it hard to figure out the latest list of 1 through whatever number in the rankings. Thank you for all of the work, or was it pleasure?

It is pleasure, howerver it gets very confusing trying to compare notes specially when some of those notes are from a year or longer ago. Here is the standings as of today (will change some)

1. Xin Reference (late production and w/ a 12,000 pF cap)
2. Supermicro IV w/ 4/11 mods
3. LaRocco PRII MkII
3. MiniBox-E+
3. SR71
3. iQube
4. iBasso D1 (modded w/ different op-amps)
4. Supermicro IV w/o 4/11 mods
5. Minibox-E tied w/ Mini3
6. Supermacro LE (Hi-Flight's) and the TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable
7. Xenos X1HA-EPC tied with the Hornet “M” and Predator (amp section only)
8. Meier’s Move tied with the LaRocco PRII
9. iBasso P2 tied with the Voyager
10. Porta Coda MkIII tied w/ the Pico (amp section only)
11. Go-Vibe 7
12. AE-2 tied with the Tomahawk
13. Supermini IV (pre 4/11 and late May mods)
14. Portaphile V2^2
15. Go-Vibe V6
16. Practical Devices XM3 w/ AD822 tied w/ the UHA-3
17. Go-Vibe V5 tied w/ DieInAFire Pint
18. Mister X Pint
19. C&C Box
20. Little Dot Micro+
21. Xenos OHA-REP
22. PA2V2
23. iBasso P1

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #160 of 213
Where is the Pico, Predator and 2 others? We all have differences in what we hear but I like the P2 better than your ranking.

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #161 of 213
Quote:

Where is the Pico, Predator and 2 others? We all have differences in what we hear but I like the P2 better than your ranking.

Pico is at #10 and the Predator is at #7 (amp sections only). The P2 is one amp that I need to re-test w/ other op-amps, somedays I love the P2 and others leaves me wanting more. What op-amps would you suggest? Thanks.

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #163 of 213
Thanks, there are other as good perhaps better comparisons here at Head-Fi, and remember we all hear differently and what is good for me may not be good for you and viceversa. Also any of the amps listed in 15th or higher would make most very happy.

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #165 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to admit I've heard several of the amps you've commented on here and I almost totally agree on your impressions....we must have matched ears.

As a side note: I still search for a better "high end" all arounder than the SR71...but haven't found it yet.

Thanks, the SR71 is a tough act to follow let alone beat. Some amps can do a particular type of music better but lack in others. IMO, among the amps I have listened too only three come to mind. These are:

- LaRocco PRII MkII
- MiniBox-E+
- Xin Reference (12,000 uF cap) and the Supermicro IV w/ the 4/11/07 mods

Yes it is 4 and not 3 but the two offerings from Dr. Xin are close. Disclaimer: Although I love the Xin house sound it is hard to recommend his amps because he has been "absent" for quite a few months. So you either buy them used or from another vendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back