38 Portable Amps Review
Mar 29, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #196 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have thought long and hard about this. On one side of the equation I am very tempted by the various reviews and my previous experience with his designs.

On the other side the unit is IMO transportable at best, and there is the issue of me wanting one right after I listen to it.
biggrin.gif
Trying to save my wallet.
wink.gif
There is a fellow Head-Fier in Miami that has one and has offered to loan it, perhpas if he sent me a PM I might just be tempted ...
biggrin.gif

[size=medium]Be tempted, be tempted! Come, Miguel! Come . . . to the dark side!
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #198 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by leo5111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo, did you ever roll the amps on the mini-box-e? i looked didnt see anything thanx

He put in a pair of AD797 that I gave him, and he liked them.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #200 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by leo5111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, was that on the e or e+ wondering because i bought a regular e off someone here waiting for it to come, thanks

Both the E and the E+ come stock with the AD8610 followed by the BB BUF634.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #203 of 213
I know I can say I would rate my old SM III V3 as above the Headsix and Lyrix, but below the Predator and Pico and 2MOVE. It was probably on the level of the iBasso D2 before I rolled opamps in the D2 to make it better. Haven't heard a SM IV yet though.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #204 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you rate the Xin Macro IV?

Owned several. Last one was a Supermacro IV LE. Very warm sound, quite "tubey" with huge soundstage. And, if you can roll opamps, totally customizable.

All that said, though, wasnt quite what I wanted, then discovered I am a huge Ray Samuels' fanboy--or fanoldman. Just love his sparkling sound in all hs amps. But, if it's tubesound you want, the Supermacro is the road to go

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #206 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I can say I would rate my old SM III V3 as above the Headsix and Lyrix, but below the Predator and Pico and 2MOVE. It was probably on the level of the iBasso D2 before I rolled opamps in the D2 to make it better. Haven't heard a SM IV yet though.

I want to clarify that this is my rank based on sound quality and enjoyment, not sound signature. The Super Macro 3 actually has a similar signature to the Meier amps.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #207 of 213
I guess I am to lazy to update this thread. Since I have listened to the Little Dot portable amp, iBasso Boa, a couple of the Go-Vibes by Dr. Wilson, etc.

But now there are quite a few Head-Fiers posting their portable amp opinion and are doing a very nice job that makes updating this thread unnecessary.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #208 of 213
You just burned out, my friend. So did I. 38 is a lot of portable amps! And also, once I got an iQube, I really am not interested in any new portable amps myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #209 of 213
I have a pile of portables and can understand how, after a few years, that just finding one that gets you close to the music is the "happy" moment. I have the new Reference, and it is excellent. I have stated my feelings on the Predator, which, in my opininion, does a fine job.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #210 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just burned out, my friend. So did I. 38 is a lot of portable amps! And also, once I got an iQube, I really am not interested in any new portable amps myself
smily_headphones1.gif

While my experience with audio is insignificant compared to yours and other's, that's how I feel about my iQube. I've tried many amps, and finally realized I wanted an amp for prolonged listening that, in simplistic terms, "Does Nothing".

With the iQube, all I hear is my iPod's music, not the headamp.

If iQube made a version with a DAC, would you be interested in reviewing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back