38 Portable Amps Review
Mar 12, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #181 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, for one, don't agree with *all* your findings but I appreciate and thank you for the time and effort you've put into your reviews and your contributions to the community as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his findings, time and effort too. Agreeing with the results have nothing to do with it. If he says it sounds worse than it is rated after 100 hours that is his call to make. I don't have a Move, my feelings aren't hurt, etc.

While I can't say what his thoughts were at the time of the 10 hour review, it *appears* that he felt he wasn't getting the best of it as he said he'd return to it at a later date. It's well documented that he believes amps need to be burned in until they stop changing. If his ranking was based on that session (and there's nothing I've read stating otherwise), why position it based on those observations? Is this really being fair to Dr. Meier?

If he takes Skylab up on his offer and reviews a well burned-in later version (which are supposed to be the same as Move's amp with a better DAC implementation), I'd think the positioning would at least be a fair approximation where the old Move would/could have been. The chips will fall as they may.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #182 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Carlos, if someone sends me a Move I will gladly review it. I believe it is a very well made product by a solid company. I love the Porta Corda's and would enjoy listening to the Move again.

That's good, because my 2Move is headed your way
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #183 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good, because my 2Move is headed your way
smily_headphones1.gif

Great! as I understand it the Move and 2Move share the same amp section so listening to the 2Move will kill two birds w/ one stone.
biggrin.gif
Thanks.

BTW what do you think of the new avatar?
cool.gif
I got it from: VW

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #184 of 213
Yes, the 2Move has the identical amp section to the Move. The DAC is different, as are the jacks and the battery door.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #185 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his findings, time and effort too. Agreeing with the results have nothing to do with it. If he says it sounds worse than it is rated after 100 hours that is his call to make. I don't have a Move, my feelings aren't hurt, etc.

While I can't say what his thoughts were at the time of the 10 hour review, it *appears* that he felt he wasn't getting the best of it as he said he'd return to it at a later date. It's well documented that he believes amps need to be burned in until they stop changing. If his ranking was based on that session (and there's nothing I've read stating otherwise), why position it based on those observations? Is this really being fair to Dr. Meier?

If he takes Skylab up on his offer and reviews a well burned-in later version (which are supposed to be the same as Move's amp with a better DAC implementation), I'd think the positioning would at least be a fair approximation where the old Move would/could have been. The chips will fall as they may.

There's a native american word for "We are all family". Damned if I can remember what it is but peace brother, it's never my intention to do harm or belittle anyone.

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #186 of 213
Just added the 2Move. Please be advised that we all hear differently, just because the sound out of an amp is not for me please do not extrapolate anything on the amp. It only means that we all have different ears. Or to put it differently, some like chocolate while others prefer vanilla. Neither is wrong! and neither is right!
biggrin.gif

Thanks to Skylab for loaning me the 2Move.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #187 of 213
My pleasure! And indeed, we all hear things differently. That is why it's so good that you and I both have the large portable amp reviews - it gives people two alternative takes on things.

Also, just FWIW, my 2Move's "logo-less" chassis is a one-off, and not something people should ask Jan for, as he doesn't have any others like mine.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #188 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I then swapped op-amps in the MiniBox-E+, now it has two AD797. Now it is a bit warmer/darker and with more rounder treble, very extended and with no harshness.

I am glad you found a good use for those AD797 I sent! I wish I could fit them in my D2, but I am going to go ahead and try my spares in the Lyrix. I sent the third set out with the Super Macro 3 to South Korea, and they sounded great in that one too...

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #189 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad you found a good use for those AD797 I sent! I wish I could fit them in my D2, but I am going to go ahead and try my spares in the Lyrix. I sent the third set out with the Super Macro 3 to South Korea, and they sounded great in that one too...

They worked out very nicely, vorlon1 listened to it and liked it as well. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #191 of 213
[size=medium]Inquiring minds are a-hankering to know: any chance that there will be a review of the TriadAudio Lisa III?
cool.gif
[/size]

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #192 of 213
It would be nice to have a periodic update to this review that picks up any newly released amplifiers...

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #194 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]Inquiring minds are a-hankering to know: any chance that there will be a review of the TriadAudio Lisa III?
cool.gif
[/size]

I have thought long and hard about this. On one side of the equation I am very tempted by the various reviews and my previous experience with his designs.

On the other side the unit is IMO transportable at best, and there is the issue of me wanting one right after I listen to it.
biggrin.gif
Trying to save my wallet.
wink.gif
There is a fellow Head-Fier in Miami that has one and has offered to loan it, perhpas if he sent me a PM I might just be tempted ...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back