1964 Ears
Sep 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4,201 of 7,417

You bet ya, arrived via fedex at 10am this morning. Unfortunately I was at work so had to wait till i got home.

Lets start from the top.

Shipping
They now use Fedex for international orders and the speedy postage was outstanding. Friday US time picked up from 1964. Arrived my place in Singapore Monday AM hrs - 5 stars

Customs:
1964 ears say they send invoices for the true value and as such you should expect duty in your country (if relevant). Upon opening the documents they decalred at a level that was not taxable in my country - 5 stars

Packaging:
Received mine in the new 1964 case, its solid, the new foam inside where each item has its own cut out space is brilliant. The faceplate is just classy and something you would expect from a very high end product - 5 stars

IEMs:
Firstly i must say my 1964 ears IEMs are sexy. I am sure everyone thinks that about their new IEMs but for me personally they ooze class and look high end. Sure i splashed out for the wood faceplates with basic art work but I am a huge believer in less is more and i think the design i picked shows that.
The wood is perfect and they even made sure the grain of the wood ran the direction i asked. Cant fault it.
The finish is outstanding, smooth i cant see any bubbles, but it looks like some of the drivers only just fit but man they are a lot of drivers in there!
The in ear fit is also perfect, once i mastered getting them in and out and the seal i can do almost instantly now. This  kaes a hige difference, something slightly not in place and they are not as comfrotable and the sound not as good.  Really really great with  the sound isolation is scary. I cant wait to get on my next international flight to really test them out properly in this department as i travel a lot.
One downfall is i dont think the chords have the same quality as the rest of the kit. seem thin and a little plasticy at the jack end. Maybe ill get used to it but i can see a cable upgrade in the future if nothing else but for the sturdiness.

Sound:
Source: Iphone 5
Tracks: ALAC
IEMS: 1964 ears V6 Stage
Burn In: None, first hours of owning.
Disclaimer: I am not a harcore audiophile. I just like nice, clean sound with tracks i love!

Tracks listened too
Emili Sande - Our version of events 
Rudimental - Free
Mumford & Sons - I will wait
Few remixes by Finnebassen
Collective Soul - Shine

Probabaly the part most of you are waiting for since i am probably one of the lucky few to get the V6 stage so far.

I imagine from reading reviews that the V6-S are the quads on steriods. If you like lows then these are for you. I listen to alot of progressive house music (rudimental, finnebassen etc) and these bad boys just eat it up with no issues. Its like being in a club and just having that bass rock through your body. For this reason alone i dont want to take them out of my ears. That said these tracks are very bassy to start. It just means the bass is crisp and punchy without taking away from the top end.

Moving to tracks less bassy like Emili Sande, you really get an appreciation to the lows/mids/highs being delivered at a different time. The vocals are so much further forward here and the lows arent overpowering. The Collective Soul track was similiar, almost felt like you were at the concert, which is ultimately what  a lot of people are after. Handles this track exceptional well actually.

Mumford and sons was the one track i was on the fence about. It was good but not great and not bad. Dont know why yet but it just didnt seem to stand out in any aspect. May change the more i listen to them but there is also a lot going on in this track.

The clarity is very very good, the sound is not muddied and there is a decent sound stage, Make no mistake these will not be to everyones taste, you will need to like a certain type of music and or sound. but if you do, then you are in for a treat. A real treat. I am one happy customer so far and am looking forward to getting on my subway each morning with these to keep me company.

I probably haven't answered everything so if you have a question PM and ill try my best o give an honest response

NB. My iphone never had to go about abt 70pct volume - i dont think they need an external amp to power them. It would only maybe help add some clarity by using one.

Great review, thank you for sharing. I am curious about the quantity of the bass compared to the Quads. I assume it is deeper and more detailed but does it hit as hard? 

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #4,202 of 7,417
dang the wait is excruciating! I find myself refreshing the usps status page for my ear impressions every two hours lol.
Anyway it left the LA sort facility on 9 September so i guess it will probably reach oregon tml! After they get my impression, it would be another round of waiting!

Hopefully all the anxiety would be worth it! Bought this w/o demoing!

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #4,203 of 7,417
dang the wait is excruciating! I find myself refreshing the usps status page for my ear impressions every two hours lol.
Anyway it left the LA sort facility on 9 September so i guess it will probably reach oregon tml! After they get my impression, it would be another round of waiting!

Lol that's what I used to do too..

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #4,204 of 7,417
That's different than when I bought a JH5 and it just showed up one day :p It may have been because I ordered it at a meet however.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4,205 of 7,417

This I fully understand. I've been a long time lurker and now I'm finally jumping in with both feet (a major thanks to all of you for the info here to help a noob figure all this stuff out).

I travel for business and I'm upgrading from a set of Bose QC2's to 1964 ears V6-s. They got my impressions yesterday and I have to admit I was very excited when I got the email that mine were in queue.

Let the wait commence...

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #4,206 of 7,417
Welcome to Headfi.  I'd say sorry about your wallet, but I think it's a bit late for that!  Still not a bad upgrade.

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #4,207 of 7,417
I couldn't wait any longer, so I emailed Alex at 1964 Ears, politely asking if he had any rough estimate on how my order was progressing. He answered me very nicely, and said they should be shipping the end of this week!

For others who are waiting, if it does ship Friday, means that 1964 Ears will have had my impressions about 3 1/2 weeks. I didn't pay for rush order. I'm sure with the introduction of the new V6-Stage, they're probably getting hit up with a lot of orders.

I'll definitely give my thoughts on these CIEMs when they arrive. :)

Tom

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #4,208 of 7,417
I think it's a sign. I tried to submit the order form twice and there was some kind of server error so I don't think it went through :p

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4,209 of 7,417
Jumping on the bandwagon too but I'm selling some home audio equipment and iem's to get a pair of customs. The reviews about the wooden faceplates are helpful. I figure might as well splurge on it with some custom artwork and wood. Just trying to decide if the triple drivers are the best choice vs the quads when using just an ipad.

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #4,212 of 7,417
V6-S has bigger soundstage, bassier and forward mids

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #4,214 of 7,417
omg i feel so bad. First I emailed 1964 to show them the specific color I want, then after thinking through and realising my color might be too feminine, I asked them to change the color again. oh god im so fickled minded

hopefully they have not start on my customs as my usps status revealed that they should have received my impressions 2 days ago:frowning2:

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4,215 of 7,417
I wouldn't feel too bad. It's probably more a frequent occurrence than you might think :)  I actually called and caught them literally moments before they started making the shells for mine and gave my NEW specifics to the extremely kind and patient gentleman helping me on the other end of the line. These guys are VERY nice and definitely try to help the customer get what they are looking for.  I had changed my order from a Quads with a custom teal faceplate and smoke shells (L&R) to trans purple (L)/smoke (R) shells and clear tips :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back